Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another step closer to the no frills carriers?

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7058337.stm
BA says that "large size and handling complexities" mean it will no longer carry surfboards, hang-gliders, javelins, canoes and pole vaults.

Skis & snowboards aren't too different to some of those items.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FenlandSkier, time to buy that gaff in the Alps, and keep your equipment there.......... Laughing .
I can possibly see the reasoning behing canoes and hang-gliders, but surfboards?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm taking my vaulting pole as hand luggage next time I fly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FenlandSkier, Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FenlandSkier, so how am i going to get my canoe on holiday now Puzzled wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will I have to collapse my avey probe on this trip?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
B*gg*r - I'd heard there was some great skiing in Newquay wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FenlandSkier, Lardies are next.
Anyone over a certain weight or width will have to pay a surcharge.
I have yet to see the spreadsheet, but I understand that Frosty will need to remortgage his house Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
who takes their canoe on holiday?.. if your competing somewhere then get all your gear sent by the freight .. then you can hop on the people flight with a passport and a bag of boiled sweets..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
who takes their canoe on holiday?

maybe not, but loads of people take surfboards. But why is this "a step closer to the no frills carriers"? Last time I carried an awkward object (boarding plank for boat) it was on Easyjet and the excess rate was a real bargain, no problems at all. That was some years ago, but at the time the comparable BA rate was heaps more. If surfers couldn't take their boards on holiday that would be a real problem.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excuse me sir is that a canoe in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
surfboards are longer and wider than skis, especially when you include a travel bag, so I can see where they are coming from....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, wider yes but some are not longer, is this the thin end of the wedge?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, or the wide end of my Missions?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, i think even ryan air can see that to ban ski carrige would have an adverse effect on customer numbers during the ski season.. of course charging ever greater amounts if the market will bear it is simply good business
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON, well yes that seems obvious now but I doubt surfers or others ever thought they'd be denied the option of taking their kit on the plane.

Although long (260cm) a javelin is hardly huge weighing in at 800g.
snow report
No surprise, anything to top up the price, and they'll keep doing that until the pips sqeak..much the same mantra as our government. If no-ones complains too much, then carry on to the next wheeze
snow conditions
Anyone noticed that BA only undertake to carry skis for free until the end of April. Thus the reserving the possibility to change the policy before next season and ignoring the needs of summer skiers & those heading to the southern hemispher or even wanting a bit of May touring.

Oh & I'm sure plenty of people complain but BA have a cunning customer service mechanism called the bin. The justification for this is usually "we're the world's busiest airline we can't possibly be expected to have enough staff to deal with complaints about our service"
snow conditions
fatbob, the 'till the end of April' thing was in last years Terms and Conditions too.
ski holidays
JT wrote:
No surprise, anything to top up the price

They haven't done it to top up the price (Easyjet or Ryanair stylee). They've just outright banned them.
snow conditions
Look on the bright side if you were alowed to take your surfboards, hang-gliders, javelins, canoes etc they would loose them anyway
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
who takes their canoe on holiday?.. if your competing somewhere then get all your gear sent by the freight .. then you can hop on the people flight with a passport and a bag of boiled sweets..

well, actually, I am.....but am strapping it to the roof of the car (its not a kayak). aiming to do a canoe/camping trip in Sweden next summer Very Happy
snow conditions
There must be some dragons den ideas in here though I can see a new line in collapsable surfboards, folding javelins and pole vaults, inflatable kyacks (though I think that one's already been done), and kit form hanggliders. It also makes you wonder who the olympic teams in pole vaulting and javelin coming here in 2012 will fly with?
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
It also makes you wonder who the olympic teams in pole vaulting and javelin coming here in 2012 will fly with?

They won't be allowed to bring their poles or javelins in with them, there won't be any available for them to use instead, therefore the UK wins those events by default. They should probably see about banning them on the Eurostar as well just to make sure that no European countries can enter those events as well by sneaking into the country on the train.
ski holidays
You should try organising the logistics for Equestrian events if you think sending canoes or whatever is difficult !!!

For an example, take the Beijing Olympics, they have had to build purpose built facilities, the horses have to go out months before for quarantine reasons, then acclimatise etc....the riders will not get to ride with their nags for some time, and if there are any injuries, there is no time to fly replacement horses out....
snow report
FenlandSkier, Very different ! Razz

Canoes and Hand Gliders at check-in !! ( you ever seen the white goods being checked-in for a Lagos flight?) ... ? They can all still go Cargo btw afaik...

I wonder how Easyjet or Ryanair would react if you turned up at check-in for a UK domestic flight with a Canoe or Hang-glider ??? Do I suspect the second word might be 'Off'
wink
snow conditions
You can't take horses on as hand luggage then?
latest report
Ghost Dog, Not since they changed the security rules, no...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interestingly (or not) Ryanair claim you can take a guitar in the cabin, provided you pay for a seat for it.
latest report
How about my lance? Damn British Airways, damn them all!! Very Happy
latest report
Megamum wrote:
There must be some dragons den ideas in here though I can see a new line in collapsable surfboards, folding javelins and pole vaults, inflatable kyacks (though I think that one's already been done), and kit form hanggliders. It also makes you wonder who the olympic teams in pole vaulting and javelin coming here in 2012 will fly with?

Why can't they just fly the hanggliders in from France? Just release the glider over the channel and land it on the field. Laughing
latest report
abc, Nothing new there ... we did it 63 years ago but in the opposite direction Shocked wink
latest report
Swirly, 1p each way... bargain. Do they charge the fuel duty and the airport taxes and 15 other allowance for it though, and booking fee (and probably neglect to pass on the tax/duty to the Govt.)
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
abc, Nothing new there ... we did it 63 years ago but in the opposite direction Shocked wink

And paddle the canoe across the channel too? Laughing
ski holidays
abc, Laughing see also Cockleshell Raiders
ski holidays
But they weren't release "properly" on neutral water. They were sneaked in via submarine! Sad
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
You can't take horses on as hand luggage then?

No, but I think Ryanair allow ponies in hand luggage but with Easyjet you can get both ponies and cobs in the cabin.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy