Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap equipment sets: Too bad or doable?

Poster: A snowHead
Kruisler, Are you taking skis with you as well ?

If yes, it is a lot easier to throw a pair of snowboard boots in your luggage and hire the board as and when you need it

If conditions are icy you may prefer to stick to skiing anyway
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latchigo,

In line with your suggestion, I always planned to buy the boots first, then see about a board later..It's only recently that I have been thinking about buying the lot..

Skis?? Well that is a bit of sore point: because I have not lived in Toulouse but in Essex for a few years now and because of various things, not least cost, I had not skied for 3 years until last year when I took boarding on. I used to have my own skis but left them at my parents....Who decided to bin them without telling me in their great garage spring clearance! Evil or Very Mad
The ski boots went as well.....
I mean, OK, those skis might have been slightly ( a lot? Very Happy ) outdated but still... And when I said I was not impressed, the answer was "But we kept the poles!" Well thank God for that...I was worried there for a moment! rolling eyes Laughing
So to answer your question: no skis.

And the icy conditions thing crossed my mind but I'll be both times travelling with beginner boarders who can't ski, and having experienced this exact situation last year I found that I spend more time waiting for them than actaully skiing, so I'll stick to snowboarding even if it's difficult conditions... Harder on the knees but less boring! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TRY BARGIN BOARDS V HELPFUL CHAEP BOARDS AS WELL
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler, you may want to take some advice in selection of your boots, I seem to recall that you should wear thin socks when trying them on, really go through a few board techniques to check for heel lift etc. Also depending on inserts 'heating' the boot and 'fitting' it is a possibility (like ski boots). I am sure other people will also have advice
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops,

I would love to go to a local shop and have someone looking at what boots/soles would suit my feet best , but I would feel a bit of a fraud asking to go through all the effort when in all likeliness I won't be able to afford the boots at the end of the exercise.. Embarassed I don't think it would be fair on the guys...
I'll have a proper bootfiiting session as soon as I know I can afford it, in the meantime I'll waste Decathlon staff's time. I have no qualms in wasting big corporations money!! Twisted Evil
Plus, my feet are average shape (size 8, standard width) so as long as I try for size, I usually get on ok... (famous last words? wink )

Doing a quick calculation looking at the calendar, if I want to have the gear for Christmas, I have got about 6/7 weeks to buy. Cos I can only do it at week-ends it's not time at all really!!
snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler, as already mentioned, pay close attention to heel-lift. I bought the £39 boots from Decathlon and they are fine except for the heel lift. Having said that, I've more than made my mony back on them (by wearing them once!!) so have no regrets. One day soon I'll invest in a better fitting pair.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like these .....

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well... got myself a snowboad bag from Lidl this WE! Very Happy
Just got to get the board now! Laughing

Thinking of getting this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COLORADO-Snowboard-Freeride-Circle-161-cm_W0QQitemZ150169667632QQihZ005QQcategoryZ21572QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone thinking "Nooooo!!" ?? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unexpected development: today, after a chance visit on Decathlon's website, I noticed they had reduced their Salomon Symbio boots from £99 to £59.

Only went and got myself a pair!!! Well pleased! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler, stop buying stuff ! it's making me jealous Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
debbi,

Feels sooo good! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, I have just completed my shopping spree!! Cool

I ended up buying yesterday a bargain "end of line" board at Decathlon, which allowed me to spend a bit more on my bindings, Decathlon ones as well.
All in and brand new: £166 for Salomon boots, Decathlon board and bindings and a board bag...

I feel pretty pleased with myself, I think I got fairly decent stuff for a good price... Very Happy

And to celebrate, I've just popped into Aldi and got myself a softshell jacket for £25... snowHead

Right, better put the credit card away now.. Embarassed

PS: thanks to all who contributed with their advice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler, yes, please stop Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DebbiDoesSnow, have you been re-branded?? wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, do you like it? I have had to wait almost a year, living only at the weekends as DDS whilst the pills took effect, now I have had the 'surgery' I feel I can now come out in the open as 'DebbiDoesSnow' without recriminations.

Please keep an eye for my new DVD, it will be availble for xmas wink
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, I am sure the DVD will be a great xmas stocking filler Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy