Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New(ish) skier buying boots - best strategy for Metro Snow Show?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a new skier, having done one week this year, and am off to Whistler in Feb for another. I'd really like to buy my own boots, having discovered that badly fitting hire boots can ruin your day, and cause the need for long treks back to the hire shop!

I've read several of the great posts on this site about buying new boots, and also about the Metro Snow Show, which I'm going to on Friday. I'm getting the impression that buying boots at the show wouldn't be the best idea, but what I'd like to know is what approach I should adopt to my fact finding mission, and what I can expect to be able to do/find out?

Is there any "homework" I should do before I go?

Are there any stands/retailers in particular I should be aiming for (or anyone I should stay away from!)

If I try boots on at the show, would I be wasting the boot fitter's time if I don't intend to buy them on the day?

Are the prices at the show much the same as they'd be elsewhere? (Normally I compare everything I buy online, but not knowing what I want/need yet, I don't know where to start!)

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My approach to buying boots:

Set aside a morning, mid-week.

Travel to a well-known Midlands Bootfitter.

Spend at least an hour with a bootfitter who knows what they're doing.

Try probably one (maybe 2) pairs on - and I wouldn't expect any say in the choice of those 2.

Listen to the bootfitter. Be honest about my ability. Do as I'm told. Expect some initial discomfort.

I don't think there's much point in doing any 'homework'.

I can't think of anywhere I'd rather not buy boots from than the ski show.

EB and S&R have a large presence at the show, and there always seems to be lots of people trying boots on. As far as I remember / am aware none of the boot fitters frequently recommended on here have any show presence at all.

DrE
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would second that, the ski show is manic and you need to spend some "quality time" with your boot fitter trying on different makes and models to find the best fit.

With my last boots I went in the afternoon mid week and I think it took about 3 bours in total and after the pain I suffered with my last pair it was well worth it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoid the show for boot buying as mentioned above Smile

Might be worth looking in resort as they can tweak them while you are there using them Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bones, Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alibongo42, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alibongo42, saw people last year being fitted at show and thought "madness", it's crazy there. Take advice as above!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rasberry................ Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alibongo42, as posted above: the ski show is not really a place to buy boots.
The prices will be no better than in your local shop.
doctor_eeyore gives excellent advice
The ski show is certainly not a Ski Kit Supermarket, and no one should go expecting bargains.
You might get some freebies.
Its essentially a Trade Exhibition dressed up in lots of different ways.
One great big huge wonderful advert for skiing.
Just look at the program:
http://www.metrosnow.co.uk/data/assets/5/metro_ski_and_snowboard_show_2007_timetable_b.pdf
Masses to do and see and listen to.
A creche to drop your drunken friends off at.
You can skate and play Brush Hockey
There are talks on Why You Should Wear a Sports Bra, Back Country Skiing, Helicopter skiiing, How to be a Sports Journalist.
Sessions on Transceiver Use
Lots of demos and exhibitions
And some bars: see http://www.metrosnow.co.uk/index.php?id=27
"Food & Drink: Relax in the World Resorts Bar with a cold beer or enjoy the Quarterpipe Action from your deckchair on the Roof Terrace Bar. The World Food Pavilion brings the international taste of the mountains to you on the balcony."
Sound ok.?
Go and have fun, but forget about buying any boots while you're there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alibongo42, If you're going to Whistler, that's probably your best bet. The Metro ski show is quite possibly the worst place to buy boots.

In Whistler, head to:

Snowcovers (in the Marketplace)
Fanatyk Co. (behind 21 Steps)
Can Ski North at Blackcomb (opposite the Fairmont Chateau Whistler)

Any of those will give you a good fit, the advantage is at the end of every skiing day, you can pop in to get your tweaks and adjustments done.

If you want to do homework and if it is quiet at the show and if you're bored...... then by all means try on boots from the various bootfitters (no obligation to buy). But you should walk away with the answer to this question.... "What sort of shape is my foot, and which manufacturer's shell/model is my foot best suited to"?

Ask each and every fitter that question, post the answers on this thread on your return, it would be interesting to see what they say (and remember to get measured from all of them - take a notepad and write the answers down).

You could be our mystery shopper!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, forget that last suggestion.

I've just this afternoon, watched two retailers at Olympia make footbeds.

It looked like the people making the footbeds had 2 hours training beforehand.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy