Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY Andorra from N.Ireland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A group of 4 of us are thinking of going to Andorra around the end of January, but are unsure whether to wait and book last minute, or go down the DIY route-probably flying to Barcelona.
Any thoughts either way??

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-10-07 19:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
me and a mate are doing DIY to Andorra flying Liverpool to Girona £38 return car hire for 5 days £50 and 4 nights b&b in a hotel 5 mins walk form Soldeu 282 euros for 2 people for 4 nights so I think if you look around it can be done quiet cheap PM me if you want hotel details wink snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cormid80

We went to Soldeu from Dublin via Girona in '04, '05 & '06. The airport is about 3.5 hours from the resort and the drive is fairly direct. You can get directions on Viamichelin or if you want more detailed directions, PM me.

I'd have thought that the call you need to make is when will flights and accommodation will be at their cheapest. We always travel mid-term so there is always a big price difference between the DIY and package operator options. I assume that the price diff is less off peak but cannot say for certain. For sure though, Andorra isn't difficult to organise a DIY holiday to.

Also, you can get an extra day skiing by flying out on Sat and back on Sunday of the following weekend. Stay the Saturday night in the Novotel at the airport.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, very doable then. Any thoughts on doing it from the french side from Toulouse?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cormid80, Look at Dublin-Reus with Ryanair. It is the same distance as Barcelona, Girona, Toulouse etc. Car hire is available at the airport and to drive it only takes 3 hours, there is also a bus from Reus to Andorra la Vella (I don't have the times to hand) where you can get another bus to Soldeu.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies.
Dypcdiver Flying form Dublin just doesn't appeal at all, it would be a three and a half hour drive just to get there, then the flight and subsequent treck to the resort.
We've managed to find an apartment in Soldeu which should be excellent.
I'm unsure about driving up to Andorra, only having driven on the continent once. What's it like driving up the mountain roads in the snow? I have images of slipping over the edge of the road into a bottomless crevasse Shocked .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cormid80, if you look on www.skyscanner.net you can get return from belfast to Barca for a week for about £30 reurn incl taxes snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cormid80, I've gone via Barcelona twice now to Pas de la Casa. IF I were going again to Pas (and I would go again like a shot), I'd go via Toulouse.
The journey from Barcelona is quite long to Soldeu or Pas.

Having said that we got there one year when no one got in from the French side at all. Have a look at my pics in snowMedia.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Driving to Andorra isn't that bad from either Girona or Reus. I haven't done the latter but they seem about the same distance. The highest roads are in the last few km from Andorra la Vella to the resort with A la V at 1400m and Soldeu at 1800m.

It snowed heavily when I was there in 2005. It meant that we had to lay up the cars while we were there and we needed to dig the cars out and purchase snow chains to get out. That said, the chains were off before we reached La Vella and there wasn't snow to be seen at the roadside by the time reached the Spanish border. All in all, considering that we hit the middle of a blizzard, driving out of the place still wasn't a big problem.

Driving from France in poor weather could be a different story. The roads are higher and the French don't see why they should waste effort to keep roads open to allow people to drive to Andorra for cheaper booze, cigarettes and skiing when they could buy it in France. In really bad weather, access to France is blocked forcing a longer detour via Spain and the Tunel de Puymorens. Unless the airport and flight times are really better for you, drive from Spain not France.

Finally, do you know where your accommodation is in Soldeu. Much of the newer hotels and apartments are in Incles or Bordes d'Envalira, each about 1-2km from the centre of town and the lift. Having a car if you're staying here is a real bonus unless you like a stiff walk to start and finish the day! If you are in town, then having a car while there is of no advantage.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy