Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Preparation

Poster: A snowHead
I bought some K2 Recon's over the summer from Sport-Conrad after demoing them last season.

When ordering I had to give my boot length etc so that the bindings could be fitted correctly. The edges seem to be pretty sharp and the bases waxed. When I tried them on in the bedroom the other evening they seemed to fit me fine!!

Will they need any other attention before I use them in December??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
griffterski, welcome to snowHeads, and well done for opening a can of worms on your first question. In short, you can, and many people do, ski on your skis straight out the box. Others would recommend a scrape of the factory wax, and replace with normal wax, and yet others, who could possibly be classed as slightly obsessional, but very knowledgeable about these things would recomend a full on first use preparation by a ski technician.

Congratulations if this clarifies anything, because it hasn't for me. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
griffterski, I always try to wax and scrape the skis about 4-5 times when new...
latest report
 brian
brian
griffterski, you need to get the bindings checked with the actual boots for forward pressure adjustment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
griffterski, welcome to snowheads, at a minimum you need to check the pressure adjustment as your boots may be worn or the length not set exactly right. You can check this yourself by putting a boot in the binding and checking the pressure screw location but it s difficult to explain if you havent done it before.

I would recommend taking them into a shop for a wax before your first go and have them give the a quick check of the binding with your actual boots on the ski.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
griffterski, Welcome to snowheads, as the posts above, it would be advisable to get them prepared, and also the binding adjustment checked. Pretty sure Spyderjon will be around soon to offer superb advice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
griffterski, welcome to snowHead 's. In line with the comments above This is what I have just done to my new Fischers which arrived last week.

Checked boot fit in bindings and verfied DIN settings. They were set to '8' and I usually ski on '7' so slacked them off a tad.

Did a hot wax scrape and re-wax before first trip to MK. Will do a full re-wax before taking them away but didn't have time just now. BTW if you use Dominator base prep wax you can get away with just once rather than 4-5 times.

Checked the edge angles and gave the edges a diamond stone polish

I think I might fall into Kramer's latter category Embarassed . Personally I blame Spyderjon
Laughing snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger, AxsMan, Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
griffterski, I got new skis 2 weeks ago, I spoke to the UK distributor who sent them to me. He advised that rather than scraping the shipping wax off and doing a hot wax there and then, why not have a day or so skiing on them to do the same job and then get them hot waxed in resort. So that is what I've opted to do. However, I will get my forward bindings checked, as you've already been advised to do above, as my skis had been through a similar history to yours. B.t.w. I'm a novice skier who knows nothing and got all the same advice as you've already been given.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, was taught by my instructor I was..... very important on our man made stuff... I would think a bit less so if I lived in Utah...

BTW - I went to a tuning day run by a guy who was a tech for WC racers... he says the same thing....

I also was taught to re-wax regularly when at home (every 2-3 days in "normal" oz conditions)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
griffterski wrote:
Will they need any other attention before I use them in December??

You'll also need to prop them up against the wall in your front room. This enables you to gaze fondly at them, and sometimes risk a light stroke, without having to keep nipping up to the attic.

.............or is that just me?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not only do I do that but I also try them on - in the evenings - in my bedroom!!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:
You'll also need to prop them up against the wall in your front room. This enables you to gaze fondly at them, and sometimes risk a light stroke, without having to keep nipping up to the attic.
.............or is that just me?
No - exactly describes the preparation mine have received for the last five weeks Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, I've just opened the new skis that Santa will bring my son for christmas and I keep going back to take another look at them and gaze fondly at them. I need psychiatric help Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ickabodblue, No, you don't. That's perfectly normal. Now, if you start sleeping with them then we'd wonder............no, I don't think I'd worry about that either.
Don't they feel smooth to the touch. and they're shiny, too!
snow report
SnowHot, If I start sleeping with my son's skis that will be seriously dodgy ..... and my own skis might get jealous! Laughing
snow report
I found sleeping with my new skis very difficult, my old ones got quite upset, and my wife's ankles suffered severe lacerations every time I rolled over. Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy