Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt 20th October

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got down the hill (well ok I had a pit-stop at Furi wink ).

Not sure where to start with this really, as it's a story of a good day but with very bad news. Firstly, the snow at the top is pretty good. A bit windblown in places. Lots of people about - race teams everywhere and lots of instructor courses etc. No real problem though - all top lifts were running.

Incredibly cold Shocked In fact I don't think I've ever been so cold. It was -18C on the thermometer, but the wind was gusting 60-70 kph, which made some of the t-bar rides absolute purgatory. All in all a good day though - I'm thinking of it as the first day of the season.

Now the bad news. Anyone who has been to Zermatt in summer will be used to skiing down to Trockner Steg to avoid having to use the 2 top lifts to get back to the cable-car. Well you can't get there anymore. The permanent snow has retreated to such an extent that skiers who venture down the Matterhorn piste face a walk of about a kilometre to get back to Trockner Steg. They even have snow cannons at Trockner Steg - at 2900 metres! They were running but they'll have to make at least a metre or two of snow to cover the rocky terrain.

So I'm not sure whether summer skiing in Zermatt will ever be the same again. Keep saving those bottles & cans guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's why I've taken to turning the TV off at the plug!!

Sounds like a good day though - better a bad day and all that! Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was a good day thanks - yes, much better than a good day in the office!

I was asking about the glacier problem over dinner and somebody mentioned that there are plans to get a massive snowmaking machine to fix the problem of access to Trockner Steg. I had a quick look at the Zermatt website and, sure enough, it's true!

http://www.zermatt.ch/data/pdf/zt/Schneemaschine-D.pdf

English version:

http://www.zermatt.ch/data/pdf/zt/SchneemaschineE.pdf
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice report.

Summer-skiing in the Alps is likely to be all but over by 2015. There are only about 10 skiable glaciers left, of which just 3 are open year-round. Anyone who has never been Summer-skiing should do so sooner rather than later.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
Now the bad news. Anyone who has been to Zermatt in summer will be used to skiing down to Trockner Steg to avoid having to use the 2 top lifts to get back to the cable-car. Well you can't get there anymore. The permanent snow has retreated to such an extent that skiers who venture down the Matterhorn piste face a walk of about a kilometre to get back to Trockner Steg.

It's been like that for ages now, the last 3 years I've been have been like it. They have boot washing jets sprays at the entrance to the building.

My boss remembers the glacier meeting the lake there at trockner steg only 18 years ago Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They've made enough snow to make it just about skiable today - bit scary though. If it wasn't for the fact that the temps are mentally low at the moment (-17 at the top today) they'd have no chance. Roll-on balmy Wengen in December!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy