Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming plans to open on 26 October!

Poster: A snowHead
The next five days look very cold in the Ski amadé, ideal for snowmaking, and most of the resorts are blasting the snowguns.
Schladming (Planai) wants to be the first Austrian resort to open this season.

In German:
http://www.planai.at/winter/index_4271_DEU_HTML.php
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kerekip,

Can it stay open? Is it just a publicity stunt?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on the temperatures over November. I give them a good chance, seen how damn slow artificial melted in downtown Wengen over 6 weeks at 10 degrees C in the village during the day last season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yay for Ski Amade. Can you believe I was standing at the top of Schladming Planai only 3 days ago in the blazing hot sunshine with not a snowflake in sight, now we are several cm deep in snow. The snow cannons have been in place for at least a month ready to be switched on.

kerekip, you never cease to amaze me with your facts about what is going on - I really should pay more attention! Very Happy Blush
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flangesax, can you put a little bit aside for us in Feb? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, of course, consider it done. Very Happy PS Its still snowing!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This can't be right Confused .

I read on this forum that the only way to be snowsure is to head high, with the resort at a minimum of 1800m and the skiing at 2000m+

Schladming is at about 800m iirc and the top lift only goes to 1850m.

Someone should tell them that they shouldn't be doing this Confused .

Or... maybe we should just say that the next person to give that advice as an instruction is a loser. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, and a heightist!!!!!! Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 21-10-07 13:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, I knew you were an innocent. Haven't you noticed who that standard advice comes from?
It is all the clever people who go to places like Schladming (and wherever djfletcher is).
Now Austria is quiet and lovely, and France is crowded and ghastly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro wrote:

I read on this forum that the only way to be snowsure is to head high, with the resort at a minimum of 1800m and the skiing at 2000m+

Or... maybe we should just say that the next person to give that advice as an instruction is a loser. snowHead

Quite correct, ignore all this talk (and photos) of snow low down in the Austrian valleys and head high up to a French glacier Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro wrote:

One swallow does not make a Summer.

Every dog has its day wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So true though, the Amade area's got a good record for snow desipite it's comparitive low altitude.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:

Quite correct, ignore all this talk (and photos) of snow low down in the Austrian valleys and head high up to a French glacier Toofy Grin

A lot of people tend to forget that when the weather systems come in from the East, this gives the ski areas in Austria an advatage in being much colder that the Western resorts in France etc. Therefore snowmaking can commence much earlier and also if a weather system from the west collides, then cold dry air and humid warm air means that there can be huge falls of snow.
From nearly 20 years of skiing, the biggest snowfalls I've experienced have always been in Austria rather than France.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Near by Reiteralm has started updating its snow report, opening 23rd nov, may earlier for weekends if snow permits

http://en.skiamade.com/wetter/?lang=en&id=70&nextsite=ort
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm, I took the advice given to me and dumped Austria for New Year's for Alpe D'Huez - have I cocked up then?
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, you won't know till you get there wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Mattmulkeen, you won't know till you get there

Cheers, suitably reassured!

Puzzled
snow report
Mattmulkeen, Early in the season it's not really possible to be absolutely certain of where will have good conditions, and where will have the best conditions. If possible it's a good idea to wait to see where the snow is, but obviously this is difficult at Christmas/New Year because they are fairly busy periods and leaving it until the last minute to book can risk not finding suitable accommodation. Having said that I've skied at Christmas or New Year in France for about the last 10 years and have always had enough snow for the majority of the resort's pistes to be open. I'd be surprised if that was not the case in AdH this holiday season.
snow report
In these turbulent weather times, I think resorts will become more flexible in their opening of the lifts.
No good waiting for all that nice white fluffy stuff to melt and then open.

Its quite likely that it'll be gone in 2 weeks time, but get out and enjoy it if you can.
ski holidays
flangesax, I have been away for four days (national holiday here), but now I am catching up with the latest development in Austria.

Now, it looks 100% sure that Planai opens on 26 October. Just to note, this is an important date from marketing point of view, this Friday is a national holiday in Austria.
So, three-day skiing in non-glacier resorts in Austria at the end of October seems to be unbelievable.

Planai opens the whole upper section with four lifts.
Hochwurzen is also ready for business, but they are only accepting racing teams.

Hauser Kaibling and Reiteralm are also busy making snow. They seem to open at the weekend. Just to remind you, last year Reiteralm was the first resort to open on 11 November.

Other Austrian resorts are preparing for the coming long weekend. I will inform you as soon as I get the news.

This is not only artificial snow, some parts of Styria had 100-150cm fresh snow so far!!!
Smaller hills of Eastern Austria received 80-100cm snow, and it is still snowing.
latest report
kerekip, thanks for the info. We considered going off for a ski this week but we are car-less at the mo so that soon put a stop to that idea! Sad

Flachau is also busy making snow - I can see it from our window.

We will be heading off to Schladming at the beginning of Nov (after a quick trip to the UK).
Keep us posted! Smile
latest report
keep the good news coming kerekip, you may also want to post in the snow reports thread...
snow report
kitenski, maybe it is time to (re)start the good old Austrian Snow Report thread Puzzled
latest report
kerekip wrote:
kitenski, maybe it is time to (re)start the good old Austrian Snow Report thread Puzzled

sounds like a good idea to me Very Happy
ski holidays
Lift prices, piste info, open huts plus some updated photos. In german

http://www.planai.at/winter/index_4276_DEU_HTML.php
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy