Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changes to SCGB Reps' Off-Piste Rules

Poster: A snowHead
Arno wrote:
have they have ever claimed to "guide" people?

I am very surprised that their (unqualified) reps would even dream of taking people off piste in europe.
Sounds to me like the blind leading the blind.

Especially in the modern day climate of litigation (which incidentally I dont agree with!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 21-10-07 15:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap, Why start the 'Class' debate here? Sounds a bit like Inverted Snobbery to me. It can be cheaper to ski in the Alps for the poor people of the South of England, the Rich guys should try skiing in Scotland, with all the penny pinching Sweaties. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SZK my friend - how the hell are you ? Still as obonxious as ever I see...

However the simple fact is SCGB don't ever ski on snow in the uk...
So why call themselves ski club of GREAT BRITIAN ?

Doug

p.s I am proud to be a sweaty !

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-10-07 15:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis_Trap, No SCGB members ski in Scotland? Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Haggis_Trap, No SCGB members ski in Scotland? Puzzled

I am sure there are lots. However SCofGB has never supported skiing on snow in the UK.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 21-10-07 15:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, Is their membership restricted to GB?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Haggis_Trap, Is their membership restricted to GB?

I couldnt care less - when abroad I would rather go off piste with my mates, rather than an unqualifed SCofGB rep.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap, Just trying to get to the bottom of the point you raised about why they're called the SCGB. If you don't care less nor do i, you seemed interested/concerned/outraged.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap, Oi, mate, there's a post you haven't edited, above 2. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Haggis_Trap, Oi, mate, there's a post you haven't edited, above 2. Cool

And your point is SZK ? I like to articulate my points.

Notice that I quoted all your daft comments about sweaties etc.
Rather than make up things you said.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap, I mentioned Sweaties, many of my friends being them and have a sense of humour, in reply to your dig at those from the South of England.

"You like to articulate your points", does that mean write a load a shite, receive a reply and then change your original post?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap, if it were the "The Club of Great British Skiing" or more particularly the "Club of Skiing In Great Britain" you may have a point. As it is you don't. It's a bit easier for me to get to the Alps than to Scotland, snow is more reliable, and I get bigger vertical when I get there. I may though try some Scottish skiing this year.

Haggis_Trap wrote:
Arno wrote:
have they have ever claimed to "guide" people?

I am very surprised that their (unqualified) reps would even dream of taking people off piste in europe.
Sounds to me like the blind leading the blind.

So you will prefer people to go off skiing solo with less awareness of where they will be skiing - which is exactly what will happen.

Reps do have a training course - although it's a fair argument that they are less trained than e.g. an ISIA. AIUI, there's a bit of navigation, but it's primarily instruction in assessment of when not to ski somewhere. And while not guaranteed (what in life is) it's entirely possible though that they are actually more experienced in mountaincraft than those with an ISIA badge (e.g. some of those I've skied with).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 21-10-07 16:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Haggis_Trap, I mentioned Sweaties, many of my friends being them and have a sense of humour, in reply to your dig at those from the South of England.

"You like to articulate your points", does that mean write a load a shite, receive a reply and then change your original post?

You're a Full time Prick in my eyes. Stupid, Ignorant and Sweaty.

SZK - I love the banter with you... especially since you are so EASY to get a rise out of NehNeh
However your angry rants are causing this thread to go off topic.

Should the SCofGB be allowed to use unqualifed reps to guide off piste ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad we can agree on something - ha ha. Very Happy
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
.. People don't seem to realise that there is no such thing as just a little bit off piste. Especially in places like Val D'Isere or Chamonix - where several people are killed every year within sight of the piste (La Spatual or the Canadian bowl being 2 classic examples)....

Thank you for passing on that. We are an ignorant bunch here.
ski holidays
Eh ? My point was that the SCofGB clearly dont realise this...
Especially given the quote below, which SCofGB apparently sent to all members.

"where reps and leaders can now ski off-piste states that off-piste skiing will generally be closer to the piste and only involve a short ski to return to the marked runs. What this means is that some areas you've been used to skiing with a rep or leader may now be 'out of bounds'. "
snow report
Haggis_Trap, Ah. You've clearly got so much more wisdom than all those ignorant jumped-up SCGB toffs who probably have only skied in their dreams at Wimbledon. We are lucky to have you as a member of snowheads - you clearly have a leading role. We can't call you Dear Leader - 'cause that's admin. Pity.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Eh ? My point was that the SCofGB clearly dont realise this...
Especially given the quote below, which SCofGB apparently sent to all members.

"where reps and leaders can now ski off-piste states that off-piste skiing will generally be closer to the piste and only involve a short ski to return to the marked runs. What this means is that some areas you've been used to skiing with a rep or leader may now be 'out of bounds'. "

why do you keep banging on about "guiding" when nothing I have seen from SCGB mentions this?
ski holidays
Seems like I have hit a raw nerve here... ?

It appears, from this thread, that most SCofGB rep's dont have the paperwork required for skiing off piste with "members" ?
And this could give legitimate British instructors and guides (who have worked very hard for their qualifications) a bad name.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Seems like I have hit a raw nerve here... ?

It appears, from this thread, that most SCofGB rep's dont have the paperwork required for skiing off piste with "members" ?.......

In what way, Dear Leader (may I call you that? I don't think admin will mind) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
In what way, Dear Leader (may I call you that? I don't think admin will mind) Madeye-Smiley

Chimp, or should that be chump... Do you call that banter ?

Or does 6000+ posts on an internet forum always make you correct ?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 21-10-07 17:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Haggis_Trap, once again you are either being a troll or a twit...

Being misinformed and annoying, whether about this or about Ski Boots is rather different from hitting a raw nerve so don't flatter yourself.

Are you going to see if you can beat your personal record of 7 edits of a post? Toofy Grin wink
latest report
Haggis_Trap, Oh DL, absolutely not. I am in awe of you. davidof clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. Arno must be some fool. In our ignorance we used to think they knew rather a lot about skiing and mountaincraft. We ere wrong . You are the Way, We will follow. Which way?
snow report
Haggis_Trap, I have nothing to do with the SCGB and have no desire to. I do, however, organise and lead ski touring trips with another club. What is this "required" paperwork you are talking about? Do I need it? Or are you just spouting a load of bull?
snow conditions
achilles, all hail the king... we must follow him...
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
Haggis_Trap, once again you are either being a troll or a twit...
Being misinformed and annoying, whether about this or about Ski Boots is rather different from hitting a raw nerve so don't flatter yourself.

Please supply quotes if you are going to make such accusations that I am a twit and misinformed ?

As I understood the minium qualification to take people skiing off piste in Europe is an ISIA ?

Are you a member of the SCofGB ?
latest report
Haggis_Trap, are your mates qualified? (Just curious, and curious about exactly where this thread is going?)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No... I have a mere BASI III. Which clearly doesnt qualify me to do very much except teach snow ploughs.

However there is a big difference between a group of friends and a commercial club.
Where reps are taking responsability for other people who they have never met before.
snow report
Haggis_Trap, I got it, a Group of Friends are Scottish and a Commercial club are from the South of England. Very Happy
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
As I understood the minium qualification to take people skiing off piste in Europe is an ISIA ?

what if the person taking people off piste isn't being paid?
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, Lets start by defining guiding shall we? And then perhaps you can tell us your experiences of skiing off-piste with club reps and compare how they differ from your experience of skiing with mountain guides? And then you could look at the responsibilty statement all the reps read before doing anything at all... And if a bunch of mates who have met socially want to ski off piste and only one has skied the run before - he has to have the ISIA??

And do you really want someone to dig out your posts about bootfitting to demonstrate misinformation?

and then we have "Indeed their membership seems to be comprimised of upper class southern english people who prefer to ski abroad..." evidence please...

Sounds to me like you have a teeny little chip on your shoulder about the club?
ski holidays
I guess the question is if "accommodation, lift pass, food and insurance plus a travel and resort allowance" constitutes payment ?
And what legal standing the ski club reps course would have in a French or Swiss court ?

http://www.natives.co.uk/features/scgbreps.htm

I dont want to be a spoil sport - but alot of you seem determined to pick a fight. Especially some of the (border line racist) abuse from SZK, who clearly doesnt like sweaties noising up his cosy little snowheads world.
snow report
Haggis_Trap, hmmm - again... you said.... "Indeed their membership seems to be comprimised of upper class southern english people who prefer to ski abroad..."

not surprising the rather socially diverse club members I have met (none upper class yet - but one can hope... rolling eyes ) might want to avoid chippy "border line racists" from North of the Border... But hey - when others point out the logical flaws in your arguments - attack them instead of answering. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I think you will find there is nothing racist in the statement -

"their membership seems to be comprised of upper class southern english people who prefer to ski abroad...

It certainly doesnt contain any dregotary terms - such as "sweaty".
And there is nothing wrong with being english and upper class.
For the record, if I lived in southern england I would also prefer to ski abroad.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, I dunno. I rather like being thought of as an upper-class southerner? I mean New Zealand's Sarf innit? An us kiwis are all upper class. Specially when it comes to rugby. Well, except for this World Cup. OK, and the last ... er OK this is getting embarrassing Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
The link in the old Natives feature mentioned above is broken, unfortunately their Site Admin is away skiing at the mo, no doubt he will fix it when he has thawed out wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, as we know, it's a bummer having an admin who skis. Clearly they should be perpetually locked in a room with the site server. Perhaps natives have figured that out too - the link is working now.
ski holidays
Lots of the Upper Class in England that I have met are Twits...fact anyone whos name is "Ralph" and tries to pass them-self of as "Rafe" must be a twit rolling eyes Luckly most people on here aren't snowHead
snow report
achilles, achilles, Or the wonders of WiFi in France!wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 21-10-07 20:06; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy