Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Ros To Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Got a friend who for financial reasons has booked the first week of Jan in La Ros with Crystal with her partner and his 2 kids. Cost was a huge reason and also first time the kids have been skiing so she is happy that La Ros suits them.

We are in Plan Peisey same week and she is very keen to get across to Les Arcs for a day. She is a very, very experienced skier so realises the limitations of La Ros but the choice is financial and for the kids.

Questions.

Anyone know if there is a bus link between La Ros and Les Arcs (would prefer to meet in 2000 area)

Also does the La Ros ski pass give you a day in Les Arcs for free?

Please note I am not willing to volunteer to go to La Ros for the day wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gwaelod, I was going to give you the info you need but you spoiled it right at the end. How can you turn up the chance of a lifetime... and lunch in Italy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
gwaelod, I was going to give you the info you need but you spoiled it right at the end. How can you turn up the chance of a lifetime... and lunch in Italy.

By the time we drop the kids in ski club and get to La Ros I am told the chairs in la Ros are so slowww I will up get up one lift wink Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know if the La Ros pass gets you a free day in Les Arcs, but me Les Arcs season pass (and I think weekly passes) gets a good discount for La Ros (I think I pay €18 for a day in La Ros/La Thuile).

I don't know if there is a bus link, although I guess that you could use scheduled services from La Ros to BSM, then BSM to Les Arcs. I think the easiest way to get from one resort to another is to ski down to the bottom of the Ecudets (sp?) chairlift which is the closest part of La Ros to BSM, then call a taxi to take you to the funicular station so you can catch the train back up to Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gwaelod, fair point. Easy way is to ski to the bottom of the Ecudets chair and there is free bus into BSM and then catch the funiculair up to Arc 1600. problem last year was that the superb Fontaine Froid run was not open until the end of January. oh just remembered it is possble to get the lift down.

La Ros lift pass gives a reduced fee for Les Arcs, not free though. I just hope she is not too bored Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Frosty the Snowman,

Thanks will let her know. She is a very, very experienced skier who has skied the world and likes danger. So not sure if she will need to leave La Ros wink but thought for a day out the Arcs 2000 bowl would keep her busy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gwaelod, Tell her to spend some times on the blacks of La Thuile or doing some of the gnarly off piste that does exist of the back of the Fort (really scary) or down from Le Belvedere. Heli skiing up to the Ruitor glacier is an option but does cost. If she wants more ideas then Bernard C knows better than most.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Not exactly overendowed with local knowledge here but .... if you're going to get a taxi, would it not be worth considering taking it to Villaroger rather than BSM if one were heading for Arc 2000 ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if meeting in 2000, then Villaroger is certainly the place to head for....well, in my humble opinion of course.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gwaelod, can't she just follow the crowd - there must be quite a daily exodus doing exactly the same Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a longer drive up to Villaroger so the taxi journey would probably cost a bit more (especially if there is a bus service from Ecudets to BSM). From BSM it's a 7 minute funicular journey, two chairlifts and a flat blue piste to get to ARC 2000. From Villaroger it's three slow chairlifts to get to 2000. I doubt there's a big difference in journey time between these two options.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro,

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Frosty the Snowman,

Will pass on the info. If she does come across, time will be the key. She would drop kids at 8.30am in La Ros and needs to be back for 5pm, my idea on heading straight to Arc 2000 was you are straight in the thick of it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gwaelod, you're better off staying in Les Acs, why spoil your holiday by skiing in sunshine, much better to not see the sun until 11.00 and be in the shadows by 15.00. Enjoy Les Arcs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes keep away from Villaroger - very slow chairs, nowhere to have a good lunch and the skiing is cr@p there. Stay in 2000 please Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax wrote:
gwaelod, you're better off staying in Les Acs, why spoil your holiday by skiing in sunshine, much better to not see the sun until 11.00 and be in the shadows by 15.00. Enjoy Les Arcs.

As I enjoy skiing, I shall do. If I want a suntan I shall go to Dubai in January snowHead
snow report
CP wrote:
Stay in 2000 please Toofy Grin

Shall do, all 425Km of it Toofy Grin
snow report
What with the perma dark of Les Arcs and the 3kms of slushfest windblown crud of La Rosiere one wonders why the Tarentaise is so popular
snow report
David@traxvax wrote:

What complete rubbish! Les Arcs has slopes which face in every direction. It is perfectly possible to follow the sun all day long.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I think Mr Trax should have put in Arc2000, and not Les Arcs in general when referring to shade. The skiing is great but I would not fancy taking kids to Arc2000 in January, looks very bleak and cold. Vallandry and that area however is a totally different kettle o fish.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, but one of the good things about Les Arcs is that there are easy links around all of the domain, so it is easy follow the sun or whatever else people want to do. What Mr Spam fails to mention is that if the snow line is brutally high on south facing slopes (as it was for too much of last season) La Ros looks fairly green and brown compared to the snowy slopes of Les Arcs which face in many more directions of the compass. Although I didn't take any pleasure looking across to La Ros from Les Arcs last season, I did reflect on more than one occasion that I was rather glad that parts of the domain are more shady than others.
latest report
rob@rar, Agreed. I think La Rosiere is exactly the same, but instead of calling the snow sure shady bit La Ros 2000 they chose the unusual name of ITALY wink Laughing
All gets a bit tiresome really. I will go to at least 4 different resorts and I bet anyone a tenner that I have a great holiday in everyone. Its skiing FFS. Ohh Les Menuires and Tignes are tooo ugly, Val d'Isere is too British, Arc2000 is too dingy, Saalbach is too low, Wengen is to quaint etc etc etc
snow report
All gets a bit tiresome really.

Yup, you can say that again. I'm effing sick of it. It's bad enough that he pimps his place all over, but attempting to knock other resorts seems pretty desperate to me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar, Universally agreed I feel, but he does keep coming back Sad
ski holidays
rob@rar, boredsurfin, To be fair the "slagging off was not started by David@traxvax, He was having a pop back at gwaelod, I am sure that David@traxvax, is passionate about his resort for reasons other than financial, just as you are passionate about Les Arcs. I have been to both and would love to have a place in either. Hmm on reflection I hate all 3 of you wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, No ya don't Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin, Your right. One of you did do me a cracking deal on a holiday Laughing Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, boredsurfin, To be fair the "slagging off was not started by David@traxvax, He was having a pop back at gwaelod

If it wasn't his modus operandi I'd have ignored it. Unfortunately he does it very frequently.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, How easily do you think folks are swayed?
Les Arcs is crap, come to La Rosiere coz its the mutts nuts. I think not. I did here the phrase in Chalet Mouflon that Les Arcs had the best piste skiing of ANY resort in the world, just cant remember who said it

wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,
Very Happy wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin,
Very Happy wink
latest report
rob@rar, How easily do you think folks are swayed?

I don't know, and to be perfectly honest I really don't care where people choose to ski. I simply object to the regular spamming and knocking of other resorts that David indulges in, not least because I consider his criticism of Les Arcs to be largley unjustified. I think it is an abuse of the forum and for that reason he should stop doing it. Whether he persuades some people to visit La Ros rather than other places is not important for me.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Stop the brutal piste bashing! Very Happy Laughing

Roches Noires Lift broken down again wink
snow report
boredsurfin, Stop parking your car in the effin lift queue Very Happy Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, That's the Wifes car wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin,
"Mr Lifty, what time does the lift open?"

"What time you getting here Mr Frosty?"
ski holidays
We might have it mended by then Toofy Grin
latest report
Cheeky git. Damn sight quicker and newer that thing in your picture. Bit of advice regarding the Montalbert chair:...... Weigh it in, prices are good at the moment. Toofy Grin
snow report
I think I have skied Les Arcs and La Ros/La Thuille enough to back up the claim that every resort has its own charm. La Rosere does have good sunshine at near closing time and that is a stark contrast to the Les Arcs skiers rushing down the Cachette doing mad chicken run to Les Arcs 1600 in a shade if not darkness to catch the funicular. The funicular does ferry a huge number of t of skiers to the giant car park at BSM. Hence David@traxvax's point is factual.

As Frosty the Snowman mentioned before there is a different holiday feeling when one skis from one country to another just to have lunch there and food is good at the Italian side.

Going back to the OP's question my La Rosiere/La Thuille ski map does show a bus sign at the bottom of Ecudets chairlift at 1176m. The same sign is shown at the neighbouring town Seez below, possible in less than 6 to10 minutes by car. My feeling is the bus may not go to Bourg St Maurice at all. I always try to park at 1176m level to ski La Rosiere but can't recall seeing the bus so if there is a service it can not be very frequent especially not at peak season. The parking space at the bottom of Ecudets isn't large, say about 45 cars in total divided into two lots, but I always managed get a space. That shows how busy the place is. However there must be a substantial number of skiers taking accommodation at Seez and it would be logical that they are ferried to Eucdets chairlift station by bus which could take another 30 minutes if the destination is La Rosiere.

The road from the chairlift station to the main route, between Seez and La Rosiere, has almost no house and very remote. So calling a taxi from there may be challenging as after the chairlift has closed down the place is totally deserted.

Curiously my ski map also shows a blue run named Villard Dessus all the way to Seez from 1176m of the chairlift station. However I have not met good snow around first week of Jan at that level even from Rosiere down to 1176m and have never noticed that one can continue to ski all the way down to Seez.

I suppose David@traxvax local information in this area would be very useful because of his knowledge of the La Rosiere resort.
latest report
Without wishing to leave the fence that I usually sit on. It would be a shame not to acknowledge that pretty much all resorts have features that are both more and less desireable to some people. Which way the local slopes face will suit people according to the time of year they are travelling, the weather conditions at the time, the ability to access other slopes, the tolerance of cold, shade, slush, icy conditions enjoyment of fine spring skiing etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy