Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Forecast Charts

brian
brian
These are from the US govt's National Weather Service. The suggestion for the alps is cold but fairly dry for Nov/Dec. Slightly milder than average for Jan/Feb (but nothing on last year's tropical scale) with average or slightly above amounts of precipitation.

Europe - temperature

Europe - precipitation

N America - temperature

N America - precipitation

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there any point in looking at these - i thought beyond three days it was all guess work? Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it is true, that's really good news, I think. Nice, cold soil/rocks so that the first major dump sticks well and forms a great base. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely pictures - totally beyond me. I thought snow was white wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only bit I don't understand is how you can have a negative precipitation?
latest report
 brian
brian
awksquawk, they're anomaly charts, so it's relative to the average for that month.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't understand the Europe Temperature charts. I am assuming the deeper blue is cold and the stronger red is hot, well in Feb 08 Lapland will be roasting but N Africa will be chilly? Is this measuring something else rather than temperature as the title says the measurement unit is K?
snow report
 brian
brian
Peter Ross, Lapland will be 1-2 Kelvin warmer than its Feb average, N Africa 0-0.5 Kelvin cooler than its Feb average. (If they're right).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, I see, it's above or below the average for that month, very good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And note, 1 unit Kelvin is equal to 1 unit C°, so saying Lapland will be 1-2 K warmer than average is the same as saying it will be 1-2 C° warmer than average.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

awksquawk, they're anomaly charts, so it's relative to the average for that month.

Ah! OK, now it makes sense! Thanks Brian.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
awksquawk, glad it does to you, sorry i know i'm being blond but Brian, please explain more as the only chart i dont understand is the percipitaion chart too.

thanks
snow report
 brian
brian
snowangel., the colour scale along the bottom is in mm per month (or you could say cm of snow, since 1 mm rain is roughly the same as 1 cm snow) and shows how much more or less is expected in a month than the average.

So take Feb 2008 for example: Scotland is green, so the model predicts 20-30 mm more rain than Scotland normally gets in an average Feb. Meanwhile, Switzerland is orange, so the model reckons 5-10 mm less rain than the average Feb there.

Hope that helps !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, yep ok that helps massively, not that it makes me entirely happy! Lets just hope that the temps stay sufficiently low that what ever percipitaion comes it will fall as snow and not the rain we got last year!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy