Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What became of your first set of skis or board?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so I've been told that my first pair of skis will break my heart, and Snowhot's threads have bought up the subject of some folks who are still on their first set, but many of you who have been skiing/boarding for years have clearly moved on from your first skis or board.

I wondered if you would like to share your thoughts on your first sets of skis or board, what were they, how long did you own them, did you like them, what were they good at, best run in them, and what happened to them? That sort of thing. Get the idea? Looking forward to your stories.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-10-07 22:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mien are still sat by the front door, 2 and a bit years since I last used them Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FenlandSkier, That's sad - poor skis Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Came across my first board in the loft the other day - a Snowjam 163, bought as a package when I was working in the US about 5 years ago. The boots and bindings were pretty sh1te but the board was half decent............oh the memories, not sure I could get rid of her, I'll find a way to use her somewhere in the house someday. Possibly as a shelf in the nursery? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first pair of skis were hand me downs from my uncle - way too long for me at the time (190cm and 14 years old). Still remember skiing down the white lady and glas maol on those bad boys.

Then a couple of years ago eventually dug them out from under the bed.
And turned them into a home made garden seat Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've skied a lot longer than some. So my first pair of ski is much taller than me and straight and narrow. Those of you who had been skiing for some years knows what I'm talking about.

I was skiing on them last winter.

Although I've bough another pair of ski (actually TWO pairs), I've yet to ski them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine are from 98/99, a pair of 180cm Atomic Beta CarvX 9.18s. Currently sitting about 15 feet from me, awaiting their sad final trip to the dump due to lack of space and the realisation that I'll never ever use them again, despite the fact I loved them at the time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My first pair of skis was a pair of Atomic C9's-i bought them because i was an early intermediate and they were a lot cheaper than other makes at the time,the reason i bought them was because i'd managed to get a month off work to go skiing in Tignes-they were great at the time and i probably got 6 weeks on them that year and then 2-3 weeks a year for the next 3 years but by the end as i got faster/more aggressive and steadily heavier too rolling eyes they became less stable at speed-i ended up buying a pair of metron 10's last year on a whim at the ski show(longer than was reccomended too but they were the last pair on offer) and i couldn't believe the difference it made to my skiing it made me realise how much that first pair ended up holding me back-i've still got them up in the loft,i thought about trying to sell them on ebay but they;re so battered and rusty i doubt i'd get much-oh well i got good use out of them anyway Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mine were a set of Hexcel Mirage 190cm, c1980. Incredibly light, had an Aluminium honeycomb core. Still got them in the Garage Loft.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Dynastar Omecarve 7 162's were sold to a certain Chalet in La Rosiere Wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 17-10-07 22:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, nice to see you added board.............you didn't have to Wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought my 1st pair of skis in Murren. I was staying in Lauterbrunnen for three weeks and discovered that it was cheaper to buy a pair of ex-rentals than it was to hire for three weeks. Never intended to take them home, but I did, and I kept them for the next 5 years. Eventually they succumbed to a hidden rock on Blackrock and were abandoned at Crystal Sport in favour of a new pair.

I still regret not bringing them home.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dan, Just to wind up graeme, how about a "what became of your first blades, and if it's not 'ritual burning', why not?" post? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Atomic_Mick wrote:
My first pair of skis was a pair of Atomic C9's

That's what mine were too Very Happy Don't tell Megamum but they're orange and have matching orange poles.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My mum collects my ski boots, paints them and turns them into flower-pots for the back garden, crazy old thing.
ski holidays
I gave my first pair of skis to my niece when she started skiing. She has long since out grown them, and I think they are still in the attic where they live.
No one is interested in my old straight skis now days.

For Christmas last year, my dad gave me my Great Great Uncle Gunners skis. I cried. What an awesome piece of heritage to have those skis.
Sure glad someone kept those around.
ski holidays
SnowHot, Hmmmmmm the Karma, friends past. Crying or Very sad
latest report
They are in the loft, my second pair are in the spare room awaiting a listing on ebay. Very Happy
latest report
SnowHot, They look like P12's too. Cool
snow report
1971 Jelas, bright red, 175cm or so, cable heel bindings "half automatic" was the term we used, they had a lever at the front to lock down the heel cable. White and dayglo pink baskets on the poles.

Laceup boots just up to the lower shin, dark blue vinyl?, red shoe laces.

Couldn't wait to get to the mountains, the little amusement park nearby had some stone pyramids each with a slide on one end that emptied into a sand pit. It was almost cold enough but the flakes were melting on hitting the ground, I threw some sand on the slide. 7am to about 4o'clock I spent on that thing, even when it started raining. The second day I got a bit bored with that and started trying to strike a spark off the edge of the sand pit.

Those skis were trashed long before they saw snow, though I didn't know it when I showed up at Bad Kleinkirchheim. Well, whatever, they worked just fine for a learner wedge, even with half the edges missing., I really didn't know how fast I could go until I went and got some Elans (blue and yellow stripes, the year before the interlocked EEs were introduced, don't remember the model but it was comparable to the brown/red CR 03 that came later). Those I had forever, they're somewhere at the bottom of one of the McGill uni lockups in Montreal.
ski holidays
Rossignol S4's with tyrolia 380 bindings bought for a $1 in the dollar shop in aspen...the bindings that is the skis were free..old pair with no bindings left in the flat I was renting for the season!!! Oh how prices have risen

They are in front of me now in my computer room..
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Ah yes the karmas, with the Look P12's. You have an eye for gear.

Those skis are a ton of fun!
snow report
Just like Spyderman, in the 1980's my first skis were Hexel Mirage, with Salomon bindings. An amazingly light ski. In comparrison with todays equipment, very narrow and long 190's or longer i think, also the bindings were industrial!
They were excellent at the time and lasted about 4 years (12 weeks) of holidays, and eventually dry slope use
They went to the tip about ten years ago. Sad
latest report
BMF_Skier wrote:

They were excellent at the time and lasted about 4 years (12 weeks) of holidays, and eventually dry slope use
They went to the tip about ten years ago. :(

Sounds like you never jumped on them. :-D First pair of Hexcels I had (with S555s) I wound up -in- the ski, standing on the bases.
snow report
comprex, Re the Hexels, Didnt they have to epoxy fill the core in the binding area to stop that core collapsing? At the time i had them, I was 27 younger, thought I was invincable (ski-ing wise) so they got some real hammer! I certainly broke easier than they did!
snow report
My pair of Salomon Xfree 7s remain in a shed at friends in Lauterbrunnen. No way i could take home 3 pairs of skis traveling alone by train with 6 weeks worth of luggage Smile

Might just take them home if I manage to go around x-mas
ski holidays
1st pair skis - Oxfam
2nd pair skis - Emmaus
1st board - currently for sale
latest report
First pair of skis (seconhand of course) - K2 'compacts' with Solly S727 bindings. Used on the dryslope 'till they fell apart. First boots, Solly SX91s - the grey ones. Almost hit the ski school manager with them when throwing them out Laughing to replace them with some proper ones.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My first pair of skis (2nd hand) were wrapped around a fence at Glenshee Sad and the tip delaminated, so they went in the bin.
ski holidays
Fischer VC 100's bought in Sauze D'Oux.

Used, replaced with K2 Apache Crossfires

VC's donated to a friend who has started skiing with us
snow report
My first were a pair of K2 SLC's in a mighty 200cm. Bought from Seven Sports in Haute Armley. The joy of turquoise.

Moved the bindings onto a pair of K2 5500's a few years later and junked the skis I think.
latest report
comprex wrote:
BMF_Skier wrote:

They went to the tip about ten years ago. Sad

Sounds like you never jumped on them. Toofy Grin First pair of Hexcels I had (with S555s) I wound up -in- the ski, standing on the bases.

My husband had some Hexel's when he taught me to ski in the mid 80's. I wonder what happened to those Puzzled
snow conditions
My first pair K2 612s are still in a room somewhere on my parents farm along with a couple pairs of P9s, and K2 Velocitys
snow conditions
I bought my first pair of skis from Snow & Rock on the basis of what it said in a magazine....if only I'd known then what I know now!

But it turned out that they were fantastic (K2 Mods) and I loved them to bits. Got hooked on skiing and started going far too often so I wanted something new and moved on. My lovely K2s are now Gray's first pair of skis and I hope that he's enjoying them as much as I did!
ski holidays
'88 Fischer RC4 Vacuum (Race Dept) 205's. My first brand new skis. Flouro Green & Flouro Mean.
snow report
parlor wrote:
'88 Fischer RC4 Vacuum (Race Dept) 205's. My first brand new skis. Flouro Green & Flouro Mean.

Did they look anything at all like these skis that are in my attic?

snow report
I think the wire in the bindings corroded and the leather in one of the boots dried out and cracked Confused
latest report
bit of a damp problem in there SnowHot, Roof needs looking at me thinks Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Blizzard 180's blue diamonds all over the top surface, Salomom 444's
First pair of skis I had seen that had edges on both sides of the base, most of the ones I had hired had only got 80% of the screwed edge still in place, boy what a joy to use, I had not realised what edges did!! They eventually delaminated under foot after some heavy landings. Crying or Very sad My wife's Knissel Red Stars went in the bin a couple of years ago along with her leather boots that the mice had chewed the cuff away on! Shocked
ski holidays
They're in my cave in Monetier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy