Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Les Arcs 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Found some great accomadation and decided to now drive to Les Arcs 1800 at xmas.
Im thinking of blasting it out from calais in a day but the wifes not to keen.
I was planning to get to calais at 4-5 am and going for it.
Has anyone done this before or do you reccomend that we have a stop over?
Im driving a modified Toyota Hiux Surf ith All terrain tyres etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
surfstar, easy journey just long, autoroute all the way to within a few kilometres of Albertville, no need to stop it'll take about 10-10 1/2 hrs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfstar, If its just you & your wife, you should do it in about 8.5hrs from Calais. That would include a couple of quick loo & petrol stops (combined). We do it a couple of times each season to Peisey/Vallandry. With small ones on board, I'd recommend an overnight stop for the sake of your sanity - it is a holiday after all wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax wrote:
surfstar, easy journey just long, autoroute all the way to within a few kilometres of Albertville, no need to stop it'll take about 10-10 1/2 hrs.

Thanks Dave. I there generally snow on the ground at 1800 that timne of year. Thought you may know as you just over the valley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geri wrote:
surfstar, If its just you & your wife, you should do it in about 8.5hrs from Calais. That would include a couple of quick loo & petrol stops (combined). We do it a couple of times each season to Peisey/Vallandry. With small ones on board, I'd recommend an overnight stop for the sake of your sanity - it is a holiday after all wink

Geri, fair point, the son and mum in law will be in the back so i think an overnighter would be best for sanity
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
surfstar, There's a sticky at the top of this topic regarding stops en-route. You should find it helpful
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do it in one. You'll be there by tea time and see the last skiers coming down. (We did it a few years ago)

Were you planning to leave the car in Bourg St Maurice and take the lift up?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes agree with everyone. Easy in a day geri, even with a little one! We get 05.50 train and are in Montalbert by 5/6pm (depending on nappy stops) and in the bar by 7pm.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ive booked euro tunnel to do it over night. Our apartment is available all day on our arival so would rather get there AM than late PM. Plannig to drive all the way up, will it be snowy then?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
surfstar, where in 1800 are you booked? The road up from Bourg St Maurice to the main part of 1800 is cleared very quickly if it snows, although if you arrive in a blizzard you will need chains.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
surfstar, where in 1800 are you booked? The road up from Bourg St Maurice to the main part of 1800 is cleared very quickly if it snows, although if you arrive in a blizzard you will need chains.

Staying in Paradiski, in the Aiguille Grive Apartments next to Charmettoger chair lift. Thinking id better get snow chains anyway just incase
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
surfstar, yes, you should carry snow chains. If the road is snowy the local police can (and occasionally do) turn around cars and send them back down the hill if they are not equipped with chains.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surfstar wrote:
next to Charmettoger chair lift. Thinking id better get snow chains anyway just incase

I would also get some protection for the back of your calves. That lift is one fo the few old 2 man lifts around and it flies around at about 200mph Shocked . The trick is to make sure you are slightly ahead of the person with you so they get whacked on the back of the calves Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gwaelod, Or smile at the lift attendant & he'll hold it gently for you Little Angel Wrap up warm on that lift - it can be slow & stops a lot in my experience wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will bear this all in mind, thanks. Need to arrange some ski school for wife and Mother in law now
snow report
Drive we've done many times - tend to leave early on Friday and stay near Dijon. Another early start will see you in resort midday.
snow report
surfstar, don't worry if there isn't snow, you're close enough to La Rosiere, Tignes, Val d'Isere etc., but I'd be suprised if there wasn't snow although we do often see instructors from other resorts in early season. provided you don't arrive on a sundayy you can buy snow chains in Super U in BSM. The road up to Les Arcs can be tricky but as you've got a 4x4 the Gendarmes will let you through even without snowchains, in 6 years we've never had to use snowchains on our 4x4.
latest report
Just to bring this thread back to life. 3 of us are going to les arcs 1800 in my car, a Seat Ibiza from uk, on the 27th Feb for a week. Just trying to scope around and find the best ways of completing this challenge. Two of us are going to share the driving. Should we blast it all in one? Also, how much can we expect to pay overall? We are travelling from Leicester. Can I expect it to be a hairy ride up to 1800? Because that is something that I seriously dont want.
ski holidays
Louis84 wrote:
Can I expect it to be a hairy ride up to 1800? Because that is something that I seriously dont want.

It very much depends on the weather at the time. The resort is good at keeping the main road up to Arc 1800 clear of snow, but if you arrive in the middle of a blizzard you are likely to need snowchains (as you would if driving to any of the high altitude resorts in that part of the Alps). I drive to Les Arcs quite a lot and can think of two occasions when I needed to fit chains before getting up to 1800, although I usually have winter tyres fitted so with regular tyres it would have been necessary to use chains a few more times than that.
snow report
Ok But what car are you driving? It seems most of you guys are driving cars that could easilyhold up against that kind of journey, 4x4 etc. The other thing im trying to work out is, is there a cheaper option? how much on average all together does it cost to get to the resort? I've read there is around 100 Euros on toll roads, although have no idea how much petrol costs. Would it be cheaper to get a flight? Or infact do the whole journey by bus?
latest report
Louis84, I have just had my credit card bill in for recent trip to Les Arcs Tolls were £132 and fuel £325. This was in a 7 year old diesel Freelander. Additional insurance and Breakdown costs added another £60.
ski holidays
Louis84, a perfectly ordinary car will get up there fine - you need to know how to fit chains quickly if necessary (because if you don't, and your hands freeze before it's done, it's miserable). You don't need a 4 x 4 to get to a mainstream resort with decent roads - and when you look at the price which kevinrhead paid for fuel, you can be grateful you've got a less thirsty vehicle! We have very ordinary cars, have spent the last 7 winters in the mountains and never got stuck yet. Most locals, and the builders who work up here all year round, drive small cars.

One issue to be aware of, though, is that will be an exceptionally busy time - you can expect mega, mega, traffic both getting to and from the resort. There are various threads about the optimum time to arrive and leave, which you might find helpful (search on driving half term). As for cost, it depends what you're comparing it to. Probably cheaper than expensive air fares for three, but more expensive than reasonably cheap ones. But transfers are never cheap, and need to be costed in. Normally you could easily do that journey in one, with two drivers, but with peak traffic it'll be a looooooooooooooong day. If you could drive down on Friday, stay overnight very nearby (you'd need to book a hotel) you could get up to the resort really early and have a lovely quiet transfer day ski. If you can't, best bet is to arrive late - not before 6 - 7 pm.
snow report
Louis84 wrote:
Ok But what car are you driving?

Either the cheapest, smallest hire car I can get from Geneva airport (Swiss hire cars come fitted with winter tyres as standard) or my larger, and less suitable for snow, Peugeot which is also fitted with winter tyres. Given a choice, the small car with narrow tyres is a better option for driving on snowy roads than a larger car with fat tyres. Never driven a 4x4 to a ski resort, it's not necessary providing you have snowchains with you (which are mostly redundant if your car comes equipped with winter tyres).
ski holidays
kevinrhead wrote:
Louis84, I have just had my credit card bill in for recent trip to Les Arcs Tolls were £132 and fuel £325.

fuel £325. Shocked Shocked Ouch! My 2 liter passat diesel cost about £160 in fuel to get to Les Arcs (and back) from the midlands. 55 MPG for 1600miles
snow report
ringingmaster, Had not done the calculation until now so went back and re-checked and making allowance for fuel we used between fill up and depature and what was probably left in tank on return true cost fuel probably nearer £285 but that still means we were only getting about 30mpg ( roofbox and ski rack probably not helping). Shocked
snow conditions
well that sort of price range doesnt sound too bad at all, considering there's three of us. Did you also include the ferry crossing or tunnel crossing in that price?
ski holidays
Louis84, No did not include crossing not sure exactly how much it was as used Tesco points to pay. From memory i think it would have been about £112-120 (tunnel crossing)ferry would have been cheaper.
ski holidays
Ok, so now I have the Ferry booked, Dover to Dunkirque for an amazing price of just £33! It was much cheaper to get the ferry to Dunkirque than it was to get it to calaise so saved a fair few quid there. The extra, small, distance is well justified in the saving. One quick Q about my tyres. I'm getting my snow tyres next weekend. I have decided that I only really need two snow tyres on the front (front wheel drive). Is this common sense and money saving, or would I need them on all four? Also a suggestion for maybe the mods to create a sticky about driving to Ski resorts, where people could add their own posts from their own experiences. Things such as pre Car checks, tyres, and all sorts of other tips that has made travelling by car a much more pleasant and safe experince for them. It would help first time drivers like myself a lot! Just as you guys have helped me here snowHead . I imagine a lot offirst time drivers like myself tend to ask the same questions. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Louis84 wrote:
One quick Q about my tyres. I'm getting my snow tyres next weekend. I have decided that I only really need two snow tyres on the front (front wheel drive). Is this common sense and money saving, or would I need them on all four?

Not a good idea. In fact I'd say a pretty bad idea.

If your rear tyres have significantly less traction you could easily find your car trying to do pirouettes on roads which aren't really wide enough for such fun and games. Stick with regular tyres and be prepared to fit snowchains, or get 4 winter tyres and reduce the possible requirement for chains. I don't think 2 winter tyres is a happy medium.
ski holidays
A local garage did actually advise me that I only need the two front tyres really. My rear tyres have around 90% of tread left on them they are practically new. I'm by no means intending to go speeding round snowy bends. People replace single tyres all the time so treads are usually different anyway. Also, the garage does 'wheel balancing' when it fits the tyres so I have presumed that this what balances the car out. I intend to take it extremely easy. But I do see where your coming from. I'll wait and see if anyone else has actually done it with 2 snow tyres on the drive wheels. Personally, I think it would be fine
snow conditions
Louis84, OK, best of luck. I think your local garage is talking dangerous nonsense, but I accept that I'm no expert (although I know from first hand experience the dramatic difference in traction between winter and regular tyres). Replacing single tyres with a different brand of the same type of tyre I would say is considerably different from mixing different categories of tyre.
ski holidays
Having better braking on the front of a car than the rear is in general extremely dangerous. Indeed it is a requirement of the UK homologation process to have rear bias, and why tyre manufacturers recommend that you put your best tyres on the rear of the car.
http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-4x4-van/less-worn-tyres-rear/20070314172074.html
I doubt the laws of physics care if this is caused by better grip levels on snow, rather than efficiency of the brake system. Rally cars bias the brakes to the rear to be able to easily push the car sideways. If you don’t have the skills and responses of a rally driver, then don’t.
ski holidays
well, I stand fully corrected. Thanks for that very helpful link. I will now do what rob@rar originally suggested, and go for the chains. Whilst eating my foot wink . Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy