Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les deux alpes,courchevel or la plagne?

Poster: A snowHead
hello all,its that time of year where its time to start thinking of booking up,last year i went to belle plagne and i had a great time but my other half found she was a bit limited on blue runs due to lack of confidence but we still had a great time,i have been reading good reports on courchevel and les deux alpes being good for confidence building and just wondered what your opinions are of these places or if you have any better sugestions,we are hoping to be going out the first weekend of feb for a week and have everything crossed for a brilliant season ahead for us all,many thanx

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-10-07 20:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
notverygoodatskiing,

Thought of Les Arcs? Fantastic combination of blues and anything else you want. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is there more variety of blues over there,when we where in la plagne people where saying that they where fairly similar places so we didnt go over
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
notverygoodatskiing, a certain Charlotte is going to tell me off, but of your two suggestions i would go for Courchevel. Lots of lovely easy runs for your lady.
Problem with LDA is the runs back down to town are a bit tricky, and going back down by lift is never quite the right way to end the day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, would you say courchevel has alot more easier runs than la plagne?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
notverygoodatskiing, hmmm: you do ask tricky questions.
Courchevel probably has a few more easy runs, but not a lot more. But then I reckon La Plagne is pretty well supplied with easy runs.
I presume your lady is taking lessons. The best way to get on quick is forget Ski School and go for Private Lessons. More expensive maybe, but much better value in the end.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, she is busy at the sno dome so is building up confidence every month,when we where in la plagne we had private lessons mainly so we could find the easiest runs,but i did notice that the runs arnt really that steep in la plagne,just not very wide so when she got it wrong she thought she was going off the edge, so all i need is really wide runs with really soft crash barriers at the side Smile any suggestions? snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lets be specific - courchevel 1850 is good. 1650 less so for a nervous beginner/intermediate..

also consider Alpe D'Huez - it's got lots of wide green/blues...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, looking into alpe D'uez,looks like its got alot of greens to keep her happy,have you much experience there?know of any reasonable accomodation?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
notverygoodatskiing wrote:
is there more variety of blues over there,when we where in la plagne people where saying that they where fairly similar places so we didnt go over

Most definitely. Some very long wide, oh so wide blues and even the reds are wide enough for a begineer to traverse. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
runs arnt really that steep in la plagne, just not very wide so when she got it wrong she thought she was going off the edge
Ah. It becomes a little clearer. You took lessons together. But you are rather better at skiing? Yes?
I think your lady needs lessons with a nice friendly patient instructor alone. You should bugg@r off for a few hours.
She will get the hang of it eventually. Just let her go at her own pace.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seconded: Les arcs is fab for the nervous, and imo much better all round the LP. I also took a group of pretty much entirely beginners to Valloire last year and had a great time as everyone could get almost everywhere after a few days, lovely place, very forgiving and flattering and highly recommended for 1-3week skiers. Agree with jonpim though, patient beginner group or private lessons without you will be what she needs...

aj xx
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
notverygoodatskiing, If your lady needs to improve her confidence then I would not suggest LDA in winter (good in summer though). I would add Serre Chevalier into the mix, but ADH is very nice for novices with a big bowl and lots of easy runs near the town and chairlifts ... Go to Stuart Adamson at SKi Masterclass for lessons (but not together). Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied ADH, LA Plagne and Courchevel. All 3 should be suitable. La Plagne has a high percentage of suitable runs. Courhevel and ADH also have sufficent greens/ blues. Courchevel 1650 is also fine- not sure I understand the comment above.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We (4 x adults 34, 35, 44 & 51) were 2nd weekers when we went to L2A in April of this year. I would definately say all of our confidence was boosted as soon as we hit the slopes. We were all able to ski from Lauze 3520m right down to Les Cretes 2100m using various blues and greens. Unfortunatley in April we couldn't ski back to the resort but I am reliably informed that beginners and early intermediates are able to do this throughout the rest of the season. Hope this helps in your decision making. Happy skiing!!
snow report
thanx for all your help,i think adh is looking really suitable for us both,does any1 have any hotels to recommend/ hotels to stay away from,and the other thing is the green runs,are they long or are they only short to get practising on ,thank you to you all.
latest report
has any1 stayed at residence les horizons d'uez in adh?
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:
Skied ADH, LA Plagne and Courchevel. All 3 should be suitable. La Plagne has a high percentage of suitable runs. Courhevel and ADH also have sufficent greens/ blues. Courchevel 1650 is also fine- not sure I understand the comment above.

Simple really - for a 'nervous intermermediate' then the top of the nursery slope at 1650 is a little steep and narrow - well that's the feedback I got from my 69 year old mum on her 1st ski trip! Progression from their is to the green next door (belvedere) which I found ok as a 1st time skier but again relatively narrow... but from then on you're in the bubble and none of the runs back home are that straight forward for a 'nervous' skier, even the green (praline) as you have to drop onto the blue to get back to the main part of 1650.

IMHO the area in 1850 in Jardin alpin is more suitable as there's wider flatter pistes with more opportunity to delay your turns if you're struggling - plus theres more opportunities to progress to similar runs...
latest report
Courchevel 1850.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Simple really - for a 'nervous intermermediate' then the top of the nursery slope at 1650 is a little steep and narrow -Nice one....
notverygoodatskiing, just book it and go for it, what's the issue? You know you will love it!

greg
ski holidays
notverygoodatskiing,
I cannot comment on LDA but Courchevel is a good option for nervous skiers and IMHO that includes 1550, 1650 or 1850 - choose your budget. If your partner is still struggling with confidence Cotes du Rhones at lunch seems to work miracles.
snow report
Avago, I'm glad you enjoyed it. You didn't miss anything by not skiing down - the green path is truly awful - do it once and you would be guaranteed to take the lift from then on. Very Happy Did you find the cheeky Belle Etoile no queue way down? Loads of peeps stand in a queue for the white or red eggs for about 20 mins when they could get straight on the Belle Etoile chairlift. You just have to ask where it is. Very Happy However, if someone is truly very scared, then some parts of the Jandri are relatively steep, though wide, and ADH is just about perfect in mid winter for masses of greens around the town.

notverygoodatskiing, I wouldn't stay in Huez if I were you - it's a long way down the mountain.
latest report
easiski,thanx for your reply, where would you recommend staying?
snow report
Courchevel 1850 would be my choice and an attractive young instructor for a private lesson. The Metro Ski Show opens at Olympia next Wednesday if you are that way.
I stayed with Mark Warner right on the piste. Or you could stay in 1550 and get the gondola up in the morning.
ski holidays
notverygoodatskiing, All my early skiing in involved resorts where lower altitude or v narrow slopes usually meant, getting the lift down, long walks, or a ski bus. Each of those three issues are now on my 'must not be required' list. I've done the CV1850 (Mark Warner thing), i'd recommend it as a resort. Why not the main area at Val Thorens? IMHO, its worth paying the extra and being able to ski a flattering cruisey run back to the resort centre, take skis off and have a 100m walk to the hotel. (via a series of bars of course!). At 1850 you can always ski back the the main lift building Croisette, the slopes are wide and ski traffic usually isnt an issue. Those rich Russian gangster types wouldn't put up with anything else! wink

From what ive heared, slopes at La Plagne shoud be able to give you similar experience.
Dont be too focused on run grading, (G, B, R, Bk). Even in the same resort they can differ widely. Theres usually some reason , that may not be apparent at the start. Although its nice to say you went on a blue or red, getting confidence and the basic technique is far more important. When practising turns, I picked the widest, smoothest green run at 1850 (the Altiport area) and repeated the excercises over and over again.
As Jonpim suggests if there is confidence issue, lessons are a must, private even better. If you are a better skier, have seperate lessons. I hope she's having the odd pvt lesson in the UK? Please dont do the 'i'll show you how to' approach, even in the UK. Thats one way to unteach a skier just starting out. Come to the new slope in Manchester that open on Nov 9th, that should be big enough and wide enough to practise. May see you guys there, after my physio is complete. Good luck. Smile
snow conditions
notverygoodatskiing, I am not an expert on ADH (too far away!) Ask Arno - he knows it well. Katski runs chalets there - try PMing her as well. Very Happy
snow report
northantsred wrote:
bertie bassett, Simple really - for a 'nervous intermermediate' then the top of the nursery slope at 1650 is a little steep and narrow -Nice one....

RTFP

well that's the feedback I got from my 69 year old mum on her 1st ski trip!

I know it's each to their own..but when I went down it on skis for the first time I went straight off the edge, into the off-piste and had to get rescued by my instructor - not exactly confidence inspiring. IIRC it's about as wide as tamworth snowdome IIRC, which if you're nervous puts pressure on 'making the turn'
ski holidays
easiski, We returned to our base by Telesiege du Village which had absolutely no queues coming down all week. In the mornings we had to wait about 60 to 70 seconds for the little ones to go off, so no hardship!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
has any1 stayed at residence les horizons d'uez in adh?

don't know this (I'm not v good at ADH accommodation) but as easiski says, make sure this is in Alpe d'Huez rather than Huez. Huez is a little village on the way up to Alpe d'Huez. It is linked to the lift system but it's a bit out on a limb
snow conditions
It's not in Huez, it's an apartment block in l'Eclose, which is part of Alpe d'Huez.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Thank you for clearing that up!

Arno, The names Huez and Alpes d'Huez should give everyone a clue, but now they've stopped teaching proper geography how many people do actually know what an alp is????
Lizzard, You're not allowed to answer
ski holidays
Quote:

IMHO the area in 1850 in Jardin alpin is more suitable as there's wider flatter pistes with more opportunity to delay your turns if you're struggling - plus theres more opportunities to progress to similar runs...

Would agree with that - the runs up there are huge and gentle.

Vallandry in the Les Arcs area has IMO a lot of good beginner runs, certainly our kids have all learnt to ski there without probs
latest report
thanx for all your help,im still unsure on where to go though,any new ideas out there for me,cheers?
snow report
notverygoodatskiing, Easiski also mentioned Serre Chevalier, which has excellent nursery areas, wide pistes, and an excellent British ski school (Eurekaski). Cheaper than Cuurchevel too. PM me, or email me via my website if you need anymore information.
ski holidays
To be honest, with most resorts, it's the quality of the instruction that will make all the difference. Nearly all of the resorts listed above will have ideal runs.
ski holidays
notverygoodatskiing, your dear lady isn't alone in being nervous - I am queen of it! We are going to Vallandry and eveyone I've asked says it will suit me well, and has the longest novice run there is - La Foret - leading back to it. To me, a long easy run sounds really good - somewhere I can start to build confidence. Of course there is the whole of Les Arcs behind Vallandry, and the Vanoise express over to La Plagne so there is all you could want if you decide to venture further afield. The lift pass I am going to get is called Discovery - it covers nthe Les Arcs side, with one trip over the Vanoise Express.

I also have considered the quality of lessons - I have booked a course with New Generation in Vallandry as they have a reputation for small groups and for actively considering the needs of the individual, not the fastest learner in the group. Their website has a series of videos you can compare your skills with to help you choose the right lesson level. I've booked level 3.
snow report
NewSkier, beats me why you don't go the whole hog and book up some individual one to one lessons? Surely that would bring you on quicker and better?
snow report
thanx for all your help,im still unsure on where to go though,any new ideas out there for me,cheers?

Your indecision is painful.

Just book Courchevel 1850 and be done with it.

Enjoy.
latest report
northantsred, I had three 1:1 lessons in Tignes back in April, I'm just not a quick learner because I simply have too much fear of injury. I need plenty of opportunity to practise and become confident at each level and I hope that the weather this year might be more favourable for post-lesson practice than last year when the conditions weren't exactly great. I have been to Tamworth for practice and had a few private lessons this summer (my Dad bought me a year's membership for my 50th birthday, which paid for itself inside a couple of trips and so they have been really good value). I am getting there - but have to do so at my own pace!
snow report
Whitegold has a point: procrastination is not going to help you notverygoodatskiing: you gotta choose sometime.
So take a deep breath and stick the pin in . . . . . . . Flaine.
Or Whistler
Or Breckenridge
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy