Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long should a pair of boots last?

Poster: A snowHead
My 1st pair of boots lasted me for around 10 years, which probably equated to around 10 weeks on snow plus sessions on the dry slope. I ditched them because the plastic was dying on me.

My 2nd (current) pair, I've had 3 years, which equates to around 15 weeks on snow plus dry slope plus snowdome.

Just curious as to when I need to expect to have to buy a new pair?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B, I am affraid the time is close.

the liners [assuming you do not have a foam or zip fit or similar] will last around 120 skier days [20 weeks] if the boot fits really snuggly then you may get a little more but not much, on the other hand if the boot is loose they will break down a lot quicker.

one option if the shell is in good condition and the fit is good is to to get a zip fit or similar aftermarket liner, the only reason i suggest zip fit over foam in this case is that it will out last 2 sets of shells and can be easily moved from shell to shell where as foam is limited to the shell which it is moulded in [or a model the same]

shoe shopping every girls favourite hobby Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

shoe shopping every girls favourite hobby

CEM, No Liz B's not your Jimmy Choo shoe kinda gal Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is 20 weeks really true? I mean, that's not even a full season. I'd be very suprised if instructors and other resort/mountain workers etc changed their boot liners that often. What about at dry slopes, do they buy new liners every 20 weeks or even 40 weeks? I'd be interested to know what "professional" boot wearers do!

I realise boots do take a hammering and I would imagine their life expetancy is shorter than one might hope for a £150 - 200+ investment, even so I'm also interested in how many people need to change their boots on account of wear and tear/usage rather than simply updating them because of this years graphics.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Linds, so true!

I have one pair of Doc Martins that do me for weddings and funerals. Everything else is catered for by my salomon trainers Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My current pair have done two seasons and a few holidays (total over 340 days skiing). Will be replaced this season, as the heels are wearing away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^^ my boots' heels and toes became non-DIN (twice!) before the liners wore out. i did have some work done on the liners and the footbeds replaced a couple of seasons ago and the boots will be replaced this season, most probably. i reckon i have had well over 200 days' use
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
120 days is 20 weeks which for most people is 10-20 years, most instructors i know change their boots either every year or at least every 2 years, a lot depends on the fit of the boot, as a lot of recreational boots are oversize the liner breaks down quicker
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not exceptionally brilliant when it comes to boots, but I usually figure on getting 100-150 ish days out of my boots, or replacing them every two years.

I think I stretch it a bit, and I should probably invest in new boots sooner than I do, but its hard to give up the comfortable old friend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
my boots have lasted 32 years - boot polish followed by dubbing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've used mine for five seasons. I have to do up the buckles a bit tighter than I did when I bought them, but otherwise they're still fine. Salomon X-Wave 8s.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mine are Rubber Ducked in 2 years, that's 2-3 weeks on snow a year & 2-4 times a week for a couple of hours at a time on plastic all year. The problem is they never really get to dry out, so the liners just give up and die, plus the soles wear from being on concrete a lot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I get new liners and footbeds every season. And generally new shells every other season. I get heels and toes replaced when needed - and usually get shouted at by my bootfitter for not wearing my cat-tracks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These are my third pair of boots. That s over a period of over 20 weeks holidays, contless hours of dry slope use and 27 years. Latest, Salomon Xwave-8 have only 4 weeks on them so far. Still good to go.

Last year I saw an interesting incident at castlefield indoor slope. A guys old boots litterally shattered while he was using them.They were a very old pair of Salomon SX rear entry boots. Big crash and he was left spinning down the slope with just the boot liners on his feet. Clearly a sign to get some new ones!
latest report
 monster77
monster77
My boots that are going to be replaced this season have had 27 weeks snow skiiing, and plenty of use on plastic. They are a pair of Raichle F1 with custom fit liners bought Jan 2001, they have been fantastic boots. My other half has just replaced her boots the old ones had 28 weeks skiing and even more use on plastic. She had custom fit liners too, although the first custom liner was replaced after 18 weeks use.

If your boots work dont change them, unless you are a follower of fashion and like to blow £££s each year Puzzled
ski holidays
monster77, Well you're not going to wear them out sitting on the fence chatting at the bottom of the slope, are you? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
Spyderman wrote:
monster77, Well you're not going to wear them out sitting on the fence chatting at the bottom of the slope, are you? Toofy Grin

Bitch NehNeh Very Happy . At least I did not have to crawl off in pain. See you tonight Very Happy
latest report
monster77, Where did you say you were going to buy your new Boots? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
Spyderman wrote:
monster77, Where did you say you were going to buy your new Boots? Toofy Grin

A small resort in called Verbier, I know a very nice man. Very Happy
snow report
monster77, Does He sell Pork Pies? Toofy Grin
snow report
 monster77
monster77
Sell Puzzled Well he does not give them away Very Happy
snow conditions
 monster77
monster77
I prefer the Lincoln pork pies with the grey meat, what is my boot fitter going do to my feet Shocked
ski holidays
When I bought my boots (first pair) the guy went through all the what level we were and gave us the boots which were suitable for a beginner. At what point should I be looking to change, and will it make any difference or is it just a marketing ploy?
snow report
I think my boots are about 5 years old -about 15 weeks skiing. I intend to get another season out of them - not so much to avoid the cost, more to avoid the discomfort and tweaking that go with getting a new pair.
snow conditions
lenniem wrote:
When I bought my boots (first pair) the guy went through all the what level we were and gave us the boots which were suitable for a beginner. At what point should I be looking to change, and will it make any difference or is it just a marketing ploy?

It was fairly obvious to me when I had improved beyond the capability of my boots. They just felt soft and floppy, and when I was skiing quickly they didn't feel like there was a good connection between me and my skis. The next boots I bought were stiffer and it made an immediate difference to how much control I felt I had.
ski holidays
Having read many threads on here, I thought boots needed changing at least every season, to match the inevitable new pair of skis. This best done twice, once when the end of season clearout sales happen, and then again when the next seasons colours become available. Same goes for jackets, gloves, sunglasses etc etc....
snow conditions
Quote:

Last year I saw an interesting incident at castlefield indoor slope. A guys old boots litterally shattered while he was using them.They were a very old pair of Salomon SX rear entry boots. Big crash and he was left spinning down the slope with just the boot liners on his feet. Clearly a sign to get some new ones!

Not quite as dramatic for mine. But my 2nd pair, which was quite comfortable and responsive, start cracking left and right (literally) last season! I guess the plastic was not meant to last more than 10 years. So I retired them before they actually explode, which I heard a few cases of.

I'm still a bit disappointed they ONLY last 10 years, however little you ski. Consider how expensive they are and how troublesome to get them to fit properly initially, the thought I need to replace them every 10 years is a bit discouraging.

Though I suppose that's a good motivation to ski more each year to get the most out of them! Very Happy
latest report
So what is the, if there is one, hard and fast rule about how you know when you need new boots? ( for wear not vanity?)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My last boots only lasted about 7 weeks of skiing. I started getting foot problems and it turned out that the lining had packed down and was no longer supporting my feet. Probably not helped by the fact that the boots were one size too big (won't be going back to ProFeet). My new boots are a full size smaller. so am hoping they last a tad longer!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had my last boots (Salomon SX91's) for about 20 years and they were just getting nice and comfy when I suddenly had to replace them due to somewhat overwhelming peer pressure.
ski holidays
admin, on the last day of the PSB, a (youngish) Freanch couple left the ski locker room at the Souleil Or wearing a pair of SX91s and a pair of SX61s - and some long skinny skis - I felt quite nostalgic
snow report
Good boots are critical.

They degrade fast.

Get some new boots and new inners after about 10 weeks' skiing.
latest report
Whitegold, I've skiied 6 weeks on mine, and am about to do a season. Surely replacing them after 10 weeks is a pretty stupid idea, I would have to replace my boots 3 times this season, costing me between 600 and 900 quid....
snow report
I've had my boots for about 10 weeks skiing and few dry slope and snow dome sessions. Heels are worn and there is a slight split in one heel which means binding can get jammed in it so i'll have to change.
Could be something to do with place i stay every February with the school requires a walk to the slopes, usuall on the road, twice a day.
latest report
My liners got very sloppy after about 95 days skiing, although the boots felt like they had plenty of life in them. I got new liners (zipfits) and it was like having a new pair of boots.
snow report
For those of you who are wearing down your heel and toe pieces, I have one word....Cat-tracks (or should that be two words?) rolling eyes
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Good boots are critical.

They degrade fast.

Get some new boots and new inners after about 10 weeks' skiing.

You're probably buying boots that are too cheap. That's why they don't last. Once you move away from the beginer "comfort" liner, they last longer. (unless you're buying boots that's too large to begin with)

Also, if you're buying new inner, you mean to say keep the same boot, right?
ski holidays
george_1, he's talking rubbish as usual. I've never seen a seasonnaire go through three pairs of boots in a season - most of us hang onto the same ones for at least two years, in fact.
latest report
Lizzard, thought as much. Im hoping to hold onto mine for at least this season. I have nowhere near enough money to replace them
latest report
Quote:

I have nowhere near enough money

Welcome to the whacky world of seasonnairage! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy