Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Informed opinion sought

Poster: A snowHead
We are two novice skiers. Me, have skied before but only for a week on a school trip years ago, and girlfriend who has never skied before except for a single dry slope lesson, again years ago. I realise most people using this forum are no longer beginners but if you could cast your minds back it might be a great help...

We are trying to weigh up whether we should take a learn-to-ski-in-a-day lesson at MK snozone before we go or whether we should just bite the bullet and go to our week in Courchevel as complete snow virgins and save the money we might have spent (£150+ p.p.) to contribute towards a second trip later in the year to consolidate our learning from the first trip. I can see the benefits in both options and realise the proper snowheads answer is to actually to do both but real world economics dictate that we do one or the other. But which? Any views?

Also. I wondered whether my having learnt to ski years ago, albeit only to stem turn standard, will have any bearing on how quickly I pick up the basics this time, i.e. is the ability to ski like riding a bike - you never forget how to do it once the skill is learnt. Is this likely to be so? It is important to us as since will be sharing private lessons for our first week.

thanks, Neil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not an expert! It rather depends on what kind of people you are. If you're quite sporty and fairly confident types you'll be fine - ski day at MK would only put you a day ahead, if that, and having a 2nd trip away would benefit you far more. However, f you are very nervous, I'd consider doing something before you go, but as you say MK is expensive. Have you considered Tamworth Snowdome as an alternative? It can be cheaper.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nohat, welcome to the mental heads. I mean snowHead

Tough call. My money would be a second trip. Good luck with whatever you choose.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the choice is between a day at MK or the possibility of a second trip in the season I'd say definitely the second trip. Although a day's instruction at MK will help you get off to a good start, typically you will make more progress in a week on a wider range of terrain. What ski school/instructor will you be using for your shared private lessons in Courchevel?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

just bite the bullet and go to our week in Courchevel as complete snow virgins and save the money we might have spent (£150+ p.p.) to contribute towards a second trip later in the year

That thing. One day in a fridge vs an extra week on a mountain? Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS: Welcome to snowHeads nohat!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nohat, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
If it's a choice of one day at MK or another week, take the week.
Instead of spending 150 quid each at MK, try Tamworth or Hemel which I know only charge 55 each for a learn to ski in a day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is Tamworth's old summer rate. It's more expensive in the Winter.

October & April £99 1st Nov - 31st March £140 1st May - 30th Sept £75
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nohat, Welcome to snowHead 's
Nothing to add to the above other than have you considered a series of dry slope lessons which may be considrably cheaper and can add a bit of reinforcement to your learning rather than trying to cram everything into a day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nohat, Welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
Great thread title! Easy answer deffo extra hols!
As for learning years ago, (I'll probably regret this!) but todays modern parabolic or carving ski's are much easier to learn on than the old straight ski's and for the sake of a good holiday remember you can only ski as well as your girlfriend wink
One tip, listen and remember what the instructor is telling you and after the lesson go out and practice it all over again after every lesson!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, I didn't know the Tamworth rate. The Hemel Winter rate is 55 pounds.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nohat, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

As others have said, if it's a choice between MK and a 2nd week......I don't think you'll find too many suggesting MK Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nohat, Welcome to snowHead Yep another vote for the 2nd week!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nohat, Welcome, Cash in your Courchevel week and go somewhere cheaper then you might be able to do both the second week and a few nights dry slope lessons (much as I dislike dry slopes, they can have a place in the learning curve)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go with the second trip. MK lessons would help but nowhere near as much fun as learning on the mountains. My wife had dry slope lessons before going on her first trip, and to be honest the only thing she learnt was the weird feeling you get when you put on boots and skis for the first time. You have both already done that. Forget the learn to ski in day. (I'm not sure you really can learn in a day anyway). Give yoursleves some time to get fit (if your not already) then you'll be able to keep going on the first holiday, when others fall away to the bar.
latest report
nohat, Skiing is like riding a bike, and a certain amount will come back to you. You won't be as wobbly as the genuine first day skiers, either of you. Go for the second week though - much better idea. MK is waayyyy too expensive. Courcheval is about as expensive as it gets though, so look around for bargains for your second trip. Very Happy
ski holidays
nohat, definitely do the 2nd week. Oh, you're looking for 'informed' opinion. That would exclude me Embarassed. Seriously though, i was also a total beginner this time last year and i felt the 2nd week really consolidated what i had learnt. I would have been back to square one if i had waited a year before skiing again.
ski holidays
nohat, Welcome to snowHead ..never been to an artificial slope and I learnt on snow.

It took me a day to stand up, let alone learn-to-ski, I'm still working on that - and even good skiers would probably agree. If you can, possibly 'ditch' Courchevel ? ...every time I look at it it seems very expensive. Then you'll be able to have 3 week skiing.
ski holidays
nohat, A few dryslope lessons should be MUCH cheaper than MK and give you a head start when you get on Snow, and still allow for that second weekend.
ski holidays
Dear all, thanks for your kind welcomes and advice.

I think I am swayed towards holding back for a second week later in the season. Cervinia is appealing,... skiing and italian food!

Back to the subject of our first trip. Courchevel is booked now so we can't change our destination without losing the deposit but we are staying in 1650 which I understand is not so expensive. We will be relying on ESF 1650 for our lessons, not our first choice but New Generation didn't availability that suited (we will be there over new year). To all those who suggested dry slope lessons instead of MK, I'll have another think about this. I'd previously discounted this option on account of not wanting my GF to have difficult early experiences. I seem to recall that skiing on a dry slope was fairly tricky and left me unprepared for snow in a couple of aspects. Specifically, I think it made me a bit more risk averse, who wants to fall over on a dry slope? and I don't think I learnt how enjoyable skiing could be until I hit the snow although maybe this is more to do with the learning curve rather than the diffuclties of dry-slope skiing.

Thanks again, Neil.
latest report
nohat, 1650 is an a superb chioce for your requirements.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman is right about 1650 being right for you. Also it's nowhere near as expensive as 1850.
It's a shame NewGen are fully booked, you have to get in really early with them these days.

I'd never choose a snowdome over a mountain but I expect you've got that message already Wink

If you really want to get a warm up though, a couple of hours immediately before you go (ie. less than a week, 2 days?) would probably be most effective, primarily to just warn your muscles what's in store for them Laughing
The first day can be quite exhausting so beginners often only manage half a day anyway. A couple of hours to (re-)familiarise yourselves with what it's like to go around with huge sticks stuck to your feet and a chance to sleep once or twice before you try it again might prove more beneficial than you think - but never enough to replace another day on a real mountain though Cool

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
nohat, if NewGen in 1650 are full, Supreme in 1850 are well worth the bus trip up. When are you going?
snow conditions
eng_ch, We thought about Supreme and I did ask them whether they could send someone down to us for privates alas they were too busy over that week to oblige. We're there w/b 29 December. An option for us would have been group lessons with Supreme but we were put off by the thought of having to take a bus to 1850 when we specifically chose our hotel at 1650 to be near the nursery slopes. The New Generation group lessons didn't appeal because of how they fall during the week we are there, no lesson on Sunday or tuesday and a double lesson on friday, our last day of skiing, to compensate.
snow report
nohat, depending where you're staying in 1650 the bus really is no hassle. IMO it would be well worth it to go up to 1850 for privates. The problem with 1850-based instructors coming to 1650 is that there isn't time between lessons to get from 1850 to 1650 or vice versa - whereas you teh student do have that time
ski holidays
nohat, Good teaching is ALWAYS worth it. Supreme will be more expensive than the ESF and a little more hassle, but I would expect you to learn at least twice as much. No contest - sorry - avoid ESF beginners classes like the plague.
ski holidays
Supreme transformed Gregory (my Son)'s skiing last Easter - he totally blew me away actually, suddenly carving so neatly.
I've always known, in principle, that he would overtake me one day but it was the first time I really got that ominous 'future echo' of him being able to out-ski me Confused
Kenny (one of the directors) did a good job at getting Ayesha over her nerves too.

If you can get a slot with them, I'd take it - with both hands.
latest report
nohat, lessons, lessons, lessons - I did it for five or six weeks over two years - go for the second trip - although I think you know that already - welcome by the way !! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin,
Quote:

I've always known, in principle, that he would overtake me one day

one day sooner than you think, and you'll be like the rest of us..... trying to keep up with them Sad Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy