Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

xmas/new year is austria a safe bet?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been religiously scanning the net looking for the answer to the above. 24 hrs ago i had my heart set on Les Arcs but now Austria is out in front.
Me the wife,son and mum in law are looking to go to austria for 2 weeks over xmas and were not planning to go on a package deal as we want to drive. I have found some lovely places to stay in various areas but have no clue as to what the weather conditions will be like. I have looked on snow-forecast.com and it doesnt look good for the areas i want to go. I realise that there may not be snow in the resort but obivously i want to get the best i can for that xmas feel.
Can anyone reccomend any resorts and what altitude they are at. Im also living in Germany at the moment and am plannig a trip to my chosen resort next weekend to get a feel for the place.
Any info would be grrreat!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well you would have thought so, my Better Half took me to St.Anton last christmas, for my birthday Very Happy ( a place I ve wanted to go to ) unfortunately we will have to return as the snow cover was very limited which meant over crowded pistes in places and not being able to ski the resort to its potential, but at least we had blue skies every day Cool

Apparently it was one of the worst christmas seasons they have had, usually plenty of snow at this time of year Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfstar, nowhere is really a "safe bet" over Christmas, frankly. Sometimes Austria does much better for early snow than the places further west, but not always. And some Austrian villages are very low (that's why they're so nice - real people have always lived there!) which makes likelihood of snow in resort, as opposed to up the mountain, questionable. Depends on your priorities - ski reliability, convenience, atmosphere, etc - the different priorities dictate different answers. You will need to prioritise and compromise. Some resorts will not have ski lifts open until the weekend before Christmas. Are you staying over New Year too?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Early season can always be a lottery - however, the last 3 years we've been to Austria for the pre-Xmas week: 2004 Saalbach-Hinterglemm was good snow - 2005 in StAnton was brilliant snow - even last year (the so-called season with no snow) in Stuben/StAnton we had pretty good skiing - even found some pow.

St Anton, and any of it's nearby resorts - ie Lech, Zurs etc have a pretty good snow record, due to their geographical location.

One of the good things about Austria, is the pistes are often grassy meadows, so require little snow cover to make them viable.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 14-10-07 12:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have given up going xmas/new year to Zillertal this year because very few hotels open. In previous years I found Zell am See/Saalbach/Hinterglemm a buzzing place to be in Xmas and Ski Welt (Soll, Ellmau, Scheffrau etc) a very nice atmosphere too for new year. I didn't have problem booking with St Anton in Xmas time but I went there subsequently in a different month and it too appears to be a lively place in festive season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are planning to arrive on the 22nd and stay for 2 weeks. Not to bothered about being near brits or late bars and night clubs just want a bit of festive fun. I will check out those places mentioned but if anyone else has some pointers they will be greatly received.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many resorts in Austria have very good snow cannon coverage, so even if the skies haven't been generous, they can often be skiable.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I;ve been to Austria for last two years, both Christmas and New Year, good snow making facilities in most resorts although good idea to aim for glacier resorts. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be there again this New Year, can't keep away.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dewisant401, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
surfstar, Ski Amade had excellent skiing and snow last winter. The lifts opened on 4th December. There is also Obertauren up the road but its on a different lift pass. Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
surfstar, I hope so as I'll be in Zell am See for New Year. IF the snow is not so good like last Christmastime then we can go to Kaprun snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want Austria at Christmas you should try Obergurgl, it is high and snow is almost a assured (we have been at Xmas for the past 8 years and have always had plenty of snow) It has great hotels, no lift queues and a couple of new lifts for this year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can also try Neustift am Stubai which is a glacier so has guaranteed snow, went there last year over new year where the alps got a little dump and was soo good skiing down closed black pistes in 1m powder at times Very Happy Then again, I skiied down the closed black pistes/itineries when it was icey.

Either way! Stubai is a safe bet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the last 30yrs I have never not been able to ski Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy