Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail Village or Lionshead?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Very tempted by Vail next March.

How easy is it to access the whole ski area from Lionshead? why would I choose Vail Village over Lionshead?

any accommodation recommendations?

We like:

Skiing: groomers, steeps but not bumpy, runs with a bit of mileage rather than many short up and downs, good connecting runs

Apres: good restaurants, pubs with live music, beer and nachos after skiing, brew pubs (did I mention pubs and beer?)

thanks guys
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in Lionshead and it's a great location - under 5 minutes walk to the ski lift and ski back to Lionshead at the end of the day. A free bus runs regularly from there to Vail Village - approx 10 mins ride.

World class skiing and (even at Feb half term) no lift queues and quiet slopes - although the locals were heard moaning about it being crowded. But by European school hol standards they don't know they're born!

Blue Sky Basin is fantastic - an amazing area with groomed piste skiing and vertical tree runs if you want them (with a few big bumps though) and an incredible cornice to drop off - "Lovers Leap."

Go to Vail and you won't be disappointed. Also very good food and much cheaper than you would expect for a world class resort - much cheaper eating and drinking than France for example.

Plus - worth a visit to Beaver Creek. Great pistes plus incredible skiing in glades there - very narrow runs through the trees take some beating. And a good chance to see how the other half live - with houses running at $10m!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ps. we stayed in the Lionshead Inn. Excellent hotel with a good brekki included. We turned up and booked it at the tourist office when we arrived in Vail and got a great deal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've got to be careful with Lionshead. I was there end of season two years ago and they were just starting to pull it all down and rebuild. You might want to check they've finished building! Personally I've always prefered staying near the centre anyway.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMHO if you want the apres ski, and don't want the 10 mins bus ride stay in Vail....

But if you have a budget to work to the walk to/from Vail is fine from Lionshead....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks guys.

we've been looking a the pictures on google earth - looks very bumpy in the basins - is it a true reflection?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, those pics are years old Very Happy suppose can be bumpy in the basins, but then again they can be full of Powder too. Its agreat place to visit with such a varity of terrain. Nothing wrong with staying in Lionshead apart from the building work Smile

You can access the whole mountain and ski back each day, we stayed out of town in Eagle Vail ( between vail and Beaver Creek ) still easy access and we accessed the mountain via Lionshead. Bart & Yetis at the end of the day Smile is a plus too - will it still be there tho ??

If you go try and find the only Black Run on Vail thats not on the piste map Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'll have no problems with it being "bumpy" on the groomers they piste bash very well to leave smooth pistes for the pampered rich skiers who go there! Alot of the bowl areas are unpisted.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, Ah - prepared especially for the likes of me then wink

bit worried about building work though. maybe have to splash out and stay in the centre

Bones, give us a clue then...if only to stop me bumbling into the secret black Shocked

BTW - should have said - the pictures I was looking at were on panoramio on google, not the ages old satellite pics.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, funnily enough its marked on the piste - sign and name etc. Just not on the piste map Shocked

Cady's Cafe starts at Mid Vail station and is a little gully often full of moguls running through the trees Very Happy

Just a useless fact for all the Vail techheads wink

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vail will be perfect for you for everything you want. Either base area will be convenient; they're very close. The construction in Lionshead is nearly finished; there's actually more construction now in the main village. The Evergreen Inn in Lionshead is a very good value and quite decent. Check the Vail website for packages. Have fun!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mike_m, Thanks, we've just about decided on Vail now. we are looking at the Evergreen as well as some in the villahe. will do as you suggest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy