Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching in France (on the sly)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey.
I have recently returned from the winter in NZ where I sat my CSI and snowboard level one instructors licence. (equivelant to the USA and Canada level one & two).
I am off to France with my fiancee for the winter and we will be running a chalet whilst away. This is my Fiancee's 1st season so we are staying close to home and trying to get her riding up to standard to sit her exams next year.
In the interim whilst in France I have been toying with the idea of instructing on the sly.......or offering "guiding" with tips wink . Has anyone had experience of doing this. Does anyone know of any pitfalls or anything bad that can happen.
Is this a good idea and does anyone have any tips?

All the best.
NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can I hear the screaming of an approaching train wreck ? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roastingdave wrote:
Is this a good idea...

No. In all sorts of dimensions.

Teaching without the correct qualifications in France is a criminal offence and if you're spotted by the local instructors then you'll be reported to the police who take stuff like this very seriously. Even if you don't lose your liberty then you'll certainly lose your season pass and, if you're working for a holiday company, then your employer will probably be pressured into getting rid of you.

The pretence of '"guiding" with tips' is unlikely to fool anyone.

Also, if you teach without qualifications you'll have no professional insurance cover and will be personally liable if anything went wrong.
roastingdave wrote:
...does anyone have any tips?

Don't do it.

Sorry to be negative. But there's nothing positive to say about it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
roastingdave, I think the negative nike attitude sums it all up "Just don't do it" rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey.
Sounds like this is a deff no/no then. And here was me thinking I could top up our chalet wages with a few hours on the greens. ahh well. Thanks for the advice Smile

Just out of interest does anyone know if "British" snowboard schools would take "freelancers" on an as and when basis? As I do have my professional qualifications. Shock
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could ask them when you get there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roastingdave wrote:
Just out of interest does anyone know if "British" snowboard schools would take "freelancers" on an as and when basis? As I do have my professional qualifications. Shock

'fraid not. France isn't the easiest of places to teach.

You can now teach skiing with a BASI 3 if you do the "test technique" - which is a timed slalom. The rules for teaching snowboarding are more complicated - I think you're supposed to be a fully qualified ski instructor before you can teach snowboarding - but I'm probably wrong on that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...wasn't there an issue about a 'similar' incident recently - a court case in Grenoble?

roastingdave, ...if you aren't caught....you will be 'shopped' by A.N. Other or V. Ested Interest...it's the way it works.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surely he is allowed to go out with the guests at the chalet and offer a few tips, or even teach them..
should his tip at the end of the week be excessivly large then so be it..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CANV CANVINGTON,
Quote:

surely he is allowed to go out with the guests at the chalet and offer a few tips, or even teach them..
should his tip at the end of the week be excessivly large then so be it..

This is against the law in France. You cannot teach without a valid qualification.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As said above it's against the law to teach in France unless you have the proper qualifications, thankfully they are now accepting qualifications other than being a French ski instructor!! You can guide guests around the slope but you're not supposed to give them tips on technique.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done it but it is generally a bad idea. My best tip is only do it with people that you have met and have some natural banter with, looks like friends on holiday. Also dont do it too often. The teachers all hang about the nursery slopes teaching, if they see you there with a different learner every day you're shafted.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
get in touch with http://www.mintsnowboarding.com/ they are a new british snowboard company in Morzine so know all the rules involved. Pretty sure you need BASI quals though
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have just been reading all this chat about teaching in France. Interesting, how many of those that have commented are Instructors themselves I wonder.

The rules as I have been told by French Federation for this coming season are:

1. You should have BASI 3 or something equal to this. I believe that the NZ qualifications meet this,
2. You need to registar with a Ski school as a Stagiere or with the ISIA,
3. You should have a valid First Aid/Avalanche course certification and have passed either the Euro test or Ski Technique unit. They are not quite the same thing but very similar.
4. For Snowboarding you can now work in France under the same terms with a Snowboard school, you know longer have to be a ski instructor. However this is the first year with the new rules, wonder how it will work. The French lost the case, or should I say everyone came to a compromise.
5. Whatever you are teaching, you must get liability/legal insurance for yourself and to cover those you are teaching in-case of any problems, 'accident or legal' people will always try to claim you were negilgent if they think it is possible to claim money, so you need to be covered for this. An absolute must.

Which resort are you going to, PM me if you want more advice or contacts depending on where you are going. Your best bet for regular work is to go to an English speaking Ski/Snowboard school. Contact them now, do not wait. Local tourist office will have a list. By the time the season starts most good schools already have all there instructors, but you might get lucky. If you just go ahead without checking all the things out that I have listed, be careful, it can be done, and does give you extra cash, keep to guests/friends in your chalet, but do it very quietly. I have done both, lots of hassle either way.

Good luck
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all,
Just to let you know I made a good few euro by teaching on the sly in france. It was easy and didnt have any injurys etc. I mainly took chalet guests out and people that asked for me through friends running other chalets. It was great fun and people all seemed to love the lessons. (not just as I halfed the ESF rate for privates) Cool
Just seen this post and thought id add my experiance to it incase anyone was thinking of doing it this winter.
Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Shock
latest report
roastingdave, where are you chalet hosting? Last time I spoke to him, Stuart at Masterclass in Alpe d'Huez wanted a boarding instructor. Don't know what sort of qualification you'd need though.
snow conditions
Hey Lizzard,
Thanks for the info. I was just replying as I started this thread last year and have now been and done the season in Meribel. Im off to Big White in BC Canada this year as I have landed an instructors job there. Wooooo. NehNeh
I hope your friend finds someone.
All the best. Smile
latest report
here is a copy of a an email sent to me from basi.

My question was about my 16 year old snowboarder who lives in france and is currently studying wood. Here it is normal to study wood and skiing at the same time, but they will not take snowboarders and his skiing isn't up to the required level. So he is now doing wood and snowboarding via basi.

here is the reply, sorry if not all is relevent!

Dear Kim and son,
Thank you for your interesting email. It gives yet more back up to our
discussions with the French about a separate snowboard qualification.

We have good relations with the French "syndicat" and government authorities
(Département de jeunesse et sport)and a have a formal legal agreement for
the International Ski Teacher Diploma (ISTD) qualification which is our
highest to be fully recognised as equivalent to the Moniteur National brevet
d'état 1er dégrée option ski alpin. This qualification is recognised
throughout the world. The ISTD is the European endorsement to our top
qualification ski or snowboard "teacher" level which also has the
International Ski Instructors Association (ISIA) member ship stamp to it for
each member who achieves this level. This qualification can be obtained by
both skiers and snowboards but a minimum level is required in a second
discipline such as, alpine skiing, Telemark, Nordic or adaptive.

The new process that we are implementing this year is that the Trainee and
Instructor levels are now to be called to Level 1 and 2 respectively to come
in line with the UK artificial dry and indoor snow slopes requirements that
we now going to be running. This means that the level 1 instructor whether
it be for skiing or snowboarding will allow successful candidates to teach
in this controlled environment in the UK. We run courses both in the UK on
dry and indoor snow slopes as well as in the Alps, Pyrenees (Andorra) and
North America/Canada throughout the year. Our next course is in fact in
Hintertux Austria at the end of July/early August. After that we will be
running course in November in Zermatt. We will have on the Web site within
the next couple of weeks all the up-to-date information about all the
courses we will be running next year. We are just about to go to print with
the new 07/08 Course Directory that also gives all the information about all
these courses. Part of the requirements for the Level 1 qualification is
that they will need a valid first aid certificate and to have completed the
Child protection module. The Ski school experience is now to be replace with
35hours supervised teaching ideally in a BASI recognised snowsports school,
the nearest one to you that I can think of that is run by BASI people is in
Les Deux Alpes by a Trainer called James Lister

The level 2 will then allow candidates to teach on the open mountain
environment in the UK. There are various places around the world that will
recognise this level 2 qualification as it concurs with their own minimum
standards that they need such as certain Austrian and Swiss ski schools and
most native English speaking countries. The agreements though are very much
on a local basis and the individuals looking for work in these places will
apply in the usual manner of CV information and hope that this will be
agreeable to the hirer.

The next level of qualification is the "Teacher" (ISIA) which is accessible
once the Level 2 has been completed. As I said this qualification is
recognised throughout the world but is not acceptable to the Alpine group as
full equivalence. The ISTD is thus the European standard required.

To be able to gain an ISTD with snowboarding there is the requirement to
have done competitions to international level with the Federation
International de Ski (FIS). The system of points in FIS I would imagine your
son will be aware of. If he can show by the time he is coming up to gain
this qualification (which he can't do until he has passed everything else
and is 21 yrs old) that he has a good level he can gain the ISTD through the
same process as the French do with their own nationals by recognising him as
"athlète de haut niveau".

Kim and son, I hope that the information here is useful and hope that you
can see a pathway towards your dream. We at BASI are passionate about
snowsports and enjoy helping people progress to achieve their dreams in
snowsports teaching.