Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why does snowploughing make your buttocks ache?

Poster: A snowHead
Spent an enjoyable evening yesterday practising my snowploughs with excellent feedback from Spyderman. Scary how tricky they are to do right! Why do my buttocks ache so much this morning? It must be agony to do a week of skiing like this.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,

Because your new boots are so stiff. Laughing

Where did you go, MK..?

I'd like to try out my babies and the PSB sees out of reach atm
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT wrote:
rob@rar,

Because your new boots are so stiff. Laughing

Where did you go, MK..?

I'd like to try out my babies and the PSB sees out of reach atm

Excellent - I can blame my kit!

Went to Hemel for a couple of hours to go through some BASI Central Theme demos with Spyderman. More aching buttocks next week as well.

Boots were OK, although a couple of hours of snowploughing on plastic is not a great test of them. But I didn't have to rip them off after 15 minutes of agony, so that's a good start. I'm waiting to see whether the boot fitted by Small or by Naked zookeeper will work out the best. Master or apprentice - always a tricky one...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Forest Gump's but-toks ached too after he was shot in them ...... Laughing

Yoda, & I did a very interesting, .... how shall I describe it .... well really a 5 kilometre 'Snow-plough-assault-course'..... Toofy Grin on a frozen road, which had frozen military tank tracks along it's length. This was another Helinick, inspired beano ..... Laughing

On the morning following this delightful new experience, I certainly couldn't specifically seperate the Buttock pain from all the other pain .... Toofy Grin ..... but an hours soak in the bath helped.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC wrote:
Yoda, & I did a very interesting, .... how shall I describe it .... well really a 5 kilometre 'Snow-plough-assault-course'..... Toofy Grin on a frozen road, which had frozen military tank tracks along it's length. This was another Helinick, inspired beano ..... Laughing

Sounds ghastly and another reason to give that man a wide berth Wink I vaguely remember doing something similar (although not for 5km) and having the most terrible cramp in my gluteus maximus. It was awful agony and I could barely stand up nevermind ski.

Although my snowploughs weren't the best in the world they weren't so bad that Spyderman felt compelled to shoot me in the arse.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was going to suggest standing up and getting a proper machine in to shift the snow snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you guys want to do the Monte rosa route back to Champoluc...miles of cat tracks through trees at a way-too-fast lick with some really useful boarders in the way....they can't cope with this at all..!! Trying to hold a plough of sorts in these ruts after a 65 km jaunt..get those thighs and buttocks screaming, screaming..!!!...In the end you just had to let the skis run as it was too hard to hold it in. A real killer and I stil feel sorry for those on boards.... in the trees and over the sides and everything...ha

The kind of nutty thing you do when chasing the last lift back over..but pretty dangerous as well.. I'll never knock a snowplough again Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, I don't remember much snowploughing on that run (or much turning back uphill to slow down BTW Wink ). I do remember a reasonable amount of judiciously applied skidding/scraping/slipping though - and nursing/jockeying another guy through who's legs were turning to jelly. We also had to do that run in under an hour to make the last lift back rolling eyes Sad Very Happy Very Happy .

I did have one run like that BernardC mentions in Klosters - several km of narrow ploughed road that was almost too narrow to get a full plough in place - some of the braking achieved was by the tails of both skis touching both ploughed walls simultaneously Shocked . Outer thighs certainly felt that one Sad .

On the serious point though, buttocks hurt less the more you get your hips forward.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, They do hurt if you haven't done them for a while. Once you get used to them the pain goes away...remember this will affect your clients too wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN,

I have only done that run once and assumed everyone has to get through the tree runs to get to Frachey. And most of the run-outs in Monterosa have the rat-runs through trees, AIRC. Yes, maybe snowplough is wishful thinking...just too much like hard work, whatever method you use, trying to wipe off speed..it is tiring, anyway! And those guides are always in a hurry to make the lifts. There must have been about 4-5 groups and we started off the last...I doubt we left the Col before 12:00..!!! How we caught them up ( or rather where they lost their time ) I will never know as they were very sorted groups of skiers and boarders and ALL Scandis except for Nick Park's group who were the slowest of the lot, I think..Laughing

Makes me want to got back soon
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Men always have mor trouble with SP than women - something to do with the shape of the pelvis maybe?? Anyway, generally, unless you have to do miles and miles, or are trying to slow down and stop on too steep a slope, they shouldn't hurt. Your position must be slightly off I think. GrahamN, is certainly spot on with the hips. You must be trying too hard though. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, yes, I drop into the backseat unless I'm concentrating hard. I just need to get some practice so it becomes second nature for me - I don't snowplough that often these days so it's all a bit weird trying to do good Central Theme movements.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, It's always the 'low end' manoevres that aspiring instructors find the hardest. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with GrahamN, i was going to say that you might be waist breaking and leaning forward. Probably trying too hard and crouching a bit.... I know thats what I always do. wink

Bit keen to be working on CT stuff already Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, that's absolutely right.

skimottaret, that's sounds like me, especially when I'm not concentrating. I can't quite believe that I spent a good proportion of my time last night looking at my skis to see what they were doing - I haven't done that for about 20 years (other than telemarking at MK Wink). I thought I'd do some homework in advance of the L1 course, and after last night I knew it was the right thing to do. I've been reading the Alpine Manual and it's only when I've been on skis that it begins to make sense.
snow conditions
[quote=]Men always have mor trouble with SP than women - something to do with the shape of the pelvis maybe?? [/quote]

aaaaaah ha! No wonder the women in my beginners ski school class snowploughed better than me. I just couldn't work out why they did it better than me even though they were less athletic. Embarassed wink Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
rob@rar, It really tires you out doesnt it! I was mentally and physically knackered after a full day of central theme stuff.

You will be sooo much further along than anyone else just by having the manual let alone working on CT drills. I would spend most time on practicing plough parallels, that seemed to be the hardest to get right for everyone in my group... If you are on snow at MK work on stage 1 and 2 parallels turns.
ski holidays
skimottaret, it was plough parallels I was mostly working on last night. Some of them were OK but I was very inconsistent, so need to consolidate. What are stage 1 and stage 2 parallels?
snow report
rob@rar, plough parallels are really hard to do right consistently and for me I dont tend to get enough up and down movement. My trainer was keen on a lot of outer leg flex and extend especially for the taller guys in the group.

i hope i remember this right but stage 1's are skidded turns, no pole plants and a longish traverse between turns with edging being introduced at the transition. stage 2's are linked skidded turns with a quick transition and using light pole plants.

The difficult bit i found in the stage 1's was skidding the turns whilst keeping the skis matched at ALL times. The trick is to make sure you are always weighting the outside ski and subtly have the inner ski "matching". I found if I got lazy with pressure control the outside ski wanders too much. demoing skidded turns is harder than it sounds....

Not sure that you will have to differentiate between the different stages at L1. But at L2 you will be asked to run through and be able to demo turns at different stages. In plough turns there are three stages:- stage 1 being rotation only, 2 being rotation with some flex, and, 3 with active flex/extend and pressure on the outside ski.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Another good reason to get the posture right in Plough turns, it hurts if you don't. Toofy Grin
I think skimottaret, means the Early Phase Parallels we touched on last night, wide stance, mainly rotation, skiddy, no pole plant, then developing the use of more edge.
Also the consistency of the matching of the skis in Plough-Parallel throughout the 3 phases, certainly takes some practice and I think requires the most work in order to give a good consistent performance.
snow report
I always find I have to consciously relax in snowploughs or everything (epsecially - oh bother, ads?, abs? top outer thigh just below hips) totally seizes up. The difference when I can relax is marked. rob@rar, were you perhaps making it too much of a buttock-clenching experience? Laughing
latest report
Quote:
I just couldn't work out why they did it better than me even though they were less athletic.

It's not about being athletic, or the right gender, it's about listening to what you're told and doing it right. My husband can snow plough much better than I on cross country skis, even though he's the "wrong" gender and definitely less athletic, with very immobile hips. I guess he's just cracked the thing about getting your weight in the right place. I am not too bad on downhill skis, which are far easier to plough. But I still need to work on it!
snow conditions
I must not be understanding the term 'snowplough' properly. No joke - what is everyone having problems with? Puzzled
latest report
comprex, wedges...

rob@rar, Are you sure you didn't get a little drunk and have one of those turkish prison dreams again? wink
snow report
comprex, technique I don't use very often, so not doing it well and therefore aching in bits of me that I'd rather didn't ache.

stoatsbrother, oh, not again!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Spent an enjoyable evening yesterday practising my snowploughs with excellent feedback from Spyderman. Scary how tricky they are to do right! Why do my buttocks ache so much this morning? It must be agony to do a week of skiing like this.
It's just you.

NehNeh

That's what you get for tuckin' to catch me at Val T. You had to work hard for that, too, just remember... snowHead Twisted Evil
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
comprex, technique I don't use very often, so not doing it well and therefore aching in bits of me that I'd rather didn't ache.

ah. abductors eh? are you fighting to keep your knees from dropping inwards?
snow conditions
ssh, Laughing What goes around, comes around...

comprex, yes, some of the time I'm making a conscious effort to keep my inside knee from dropping in and making a little a-frame.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:
I just couldn't work out why they did it better than me even though they were less athletic.

It's not about being athletic, or the right gender, it's about listening to what you're told and doing it right. My husband can snow plough much better than I on cross country skis, even though he's the "wrong" gender and definitely less athletic, with very immobile hips. I guess he's just cracked the thing about getting your weight in the right place. I am not too bad on downhill skis, which are far easier to plough. But I still need to work on it!

Pam w, I was writing partly tongue in cheek, not sure what the emoticon for that is. I agree with you about the weight distribution. In beginners ski school I was too stared to lean forward enough so the edges at the tip-end weren't biting enough.
snow report
eng_ch, wrote about
Quote:
(epsecially - oh bother, ads?, abs? top outer thigh just below hips) totally seizes up.

that's what gets me too, though it used not to. Might be old age. Relaxation may help - I am relaxed on downhill skis but horribly unrelaxed on cross country skis trying to plough, so maybe that's why it hurts so much. What are those muscles called - abductors?
ski holidays
rob@rar, I've been trying to not post in this thread because of all the evil and, shall we say, inappropriate things going through my mind!

Have you found someone to massage the "aching buttocks"?
snow report
relaxation, or
latest report
SnowHot wrote:

I simply don't understand it, but everyone I've asked has said no.
snow report
comprex, .... a new concept, modernising the Victorian 'Crapper' patented water closet .... Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

As long as you're not getting slapped, I guess you're alright! Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

That is certainly not part of the service. Laughing
snow conditions
Spyderman, Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, perhaps the BASI snowplough is different from the PSIA wedge, but I can't imagine a guy in your shape having that kind of issue with wedge turns. Relax! Remember that you are demoing the turns that a beginner skier is capable of doing! Don't work so hard at it. Besides, relaxing is an important part of skiing. Tight muscles are stiff!
snow conditions
As an ASSI I've done my fair share of ploughing and never noticed aching buttocks - don't know what that says about me or rob@rar though Laughing

Just about every part of my body from toes to pelvis did feel like jelly after (actually about half way through rolling eyes ) helinick's assault course, but BernardC forgot to mention the superb lunch we had at the end wink
snow report
I think I was just concentrating very hard on getting my plough-parallels correct and was way too tense, hence the aches. Maybe next week I should have the beer before the skiing rather than after it to help me stay relaxed and centred...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy