Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back seat skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Carried on my love affair with dendix this morning. At my last lesson I was told that I was sitting too far back so i went along today to practise and sort it out! Seems to me that I start off in a nice position and then when I rise up instead of standing forward onto the balls of my feet I stand kinda back on to my heels and I never really recover from this cos as I sink back down I stay sitting back. Does this sound feasible? I've tried to stop doing it without much success but I suppose realising I'm doing it is something.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ickabodblue,

Don't
Quote:

tried to stop

Just

Quote:

stop doing

Laughing Laughing

Without seeing you ski, it's difficult to give detailed advise..... but it's a very common problem. Two things to look at - ankle flex.. are you bending your knees too much compared to you ankles ?, and are the skis leaving you behind at the end of each turn ?

What both lead to is that your hips end up too far backward along the length of the ski. The corrective action is to move them forward and possibly upward. If you do this just before the start of each turn, and ensure that you use tour ankles as well - it's fixed. The instructors at you slope should be able to help you out with this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hands forwards.

Or, boots too stiff?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, Boots definately not too stiff cos I forgot my own boots and was wearing hire ones. It happens whatever boots I'm wearing it was just today that I managed to pinpoint exactly when it happens. My lessons are not on next week cos of our Oct week and I had hoped to make a vast improvement by the time we start back, be teacher's pet and rub everyones nose in it! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ickabodblue, this usually starts from fear to some degree, or a misinterpretation of the instruction about extending - however it was put. It may help to think that you're starting to dive into a swimming pool as you extend. Think about that movement, then imagine that the boots stop you actually finishing off the dive. It is exactly the same movement. If you can't swim we'll have to think of something else.

You can't just fix it - it takes a good while and lots of exercises - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is the reality - it's a basic fault. Were you taken onto runs you felt were a bit steep at any time??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
It may help to think that you're starting to dive into a swimming pool as you extend. Think about that movement, then imagine that the boots stop you actually finishing off the dive. It is exactly the same movement.

....hold that thought for my PSB lesson Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, I've always been a bit of a coward Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ickabodblue, NOT COWARD! You cannot be brave or courageous if you're not first afraid. All those idiots flying down runs they can't handle are NOT brave - just stupid (or men wink wink wink wink ). If you were/are afraid and you still do it - THAT'S BRAVE. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously though, if you can dive, go to the local pool and do it a few times practising the move, note what it feels like, and then try to do it on the slope. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
and then try to do it on the slope. :D

Aiming which way ? :nice:
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, I think I luv you!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ickabodblue, there's a queue.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ickabodblue, 3 things to think while training to get forward:

1) Stand tall (keep butt and shoulders high) the entire turn, and while moving from turn to turn.

2) keep your ankles flexed forward

3) keep constant shin contact/pressure on the front of the boot.

Then practice, practice, practice (on easy terrain) ,,, till you're doing all three consistently well, and it feels second nature. Till forward feels a safe and pleasant place to be.

easiski, I like your take on courage.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just back from this mornings little slip around. Easiski inadvertantly stumbled on a really good analogy for me since back in the dark ages I was a competitive swimmer so I am really comfortable with the diving bit. It worked really well for me, not an ah-ha moment cos I have to concentrate on it for every turn but before, even though I was trying not to lean back, I was still doing it. So... It will take time but I am now confident that I will get there. Thanks once again easiski! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ickabodblue wrote:
I have to concentrate on it for every turn but before, even though I was trying not to lean back, I was still doing it.

If you can feel that you are doing it that's a good sign. When practicing it's a good idea to concentrate on what to do right, rather than what NOT to do.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ickabodblue, have you heard about skiing 'skeletally'? It's where your skeleton supports your mass, rather than your muscles such as your quads.

Therefore, if you ski skeletally, you don't get thigh-burn from sitting back too far.

To find a good position, while you're standing on your skis, shift your mass back (while in a z-shaped skiing position). Then, shift your weight forwards until you feel the tightness moving away from from your quad muscles.

If you get used to that feeling of re-centreing on your skis, you'll find a way to get your weight forward.

It's just a different way of addressing the same problem as the others have mentioned. Smile
snow report
ickabodblue, my personal exercise if I feel I am not centered on the skis is to ski with my boots loose or even comletely undone. This is a masochistic exercise but gets me balanced. I try easy turns first and keep within my percieved ability, plastic is a nice uniform surface. Keep it simple whilst finding the balance. Very Happy
snow report
My instructor in Slovenia this year used the same diving analogy as easiski, and I found it really helpfull. The next thing he got us doing was pole plants which I also liked having never used my poles before Smile I've got to admit though I started off using pole plants when skiing on my own but eventually stopped as no one else used them and I felt a bit daft. the instructor liked to differentiate between what he called classic skiing and carving, he said there are lots of situations where you can't carve and so you need to learn classic skiing for these situations and in all of them you should be using a pole plant. What does everyone else think of this??
ski holidays
lynseyf,

If the terrain is such that you can just get into a position and glide down then you will not need a plant....
for me, it depends how much help I need to get up off the skis to turn them... I might use it as a trigger for other movemenst or I might even weight onto it...
Generally, you'd use the pole to set in motion a few moves on more testing terrain so I can see what that instructor is saying.

Stylistically, you can't plant the pole from the back seat......as the pole plant will be too near the inside of the turn and useless anyway..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy