Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st instructing Season in BC. Ideas on buying a car?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey fellow snowheeds.
Iv managed to get an instructors position in BigWhite BC for this season. Wooooo. Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
Iv never been to Canada before and was wondering if anyone knows any local knowledge on buying a cheap cheap car/camper. Iv looked on US ebay etc and there seem to be loads in my price range (under $1000) however I have no knowledge of insurance over there - IE can a UK national get car insurance for 6months....Im also a bit lost as to the Canadian "MOT" as there seem to be loads of different things you need in different provances. Puzzled
The wagon we get would be for getting around before/during and roadtripping apres season so may well end up crossing to the USA for a week or 2. Are there any restrictions on vehicles going over the border? and back?
Lastly - if anyone knows of a double bedroom to let for the season in BW then I would love to hear.
Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the buying bits. But as for restriction of driving across the border, there's none.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take all your proof of no claims and buy a car locally in Kelowna I'd say. All insurance in BC is through the provincial ICBC insurance co so you won't get stung for being a non-national and can carry over UK no claims 6 mths with travel to the US no problem. You get plates from the insurance brokers office when you register the car and pay the transfer tax. IIRC MOT stds are only particualrly a concern in the Vancouver/lower mainland area where they smog test but don't be a sucker & buy the first car you see. Maybe worth trawling some dealers for trade-ins they have round the back. Consider buying a FWD car then buy some snow tyres (often decent 2nd hand ones available) rather than a 4WD to save on gas when you're road tripping and potentially expensive repairs. A car under $1000 is likely to cost you something during the season in maintenance /repair anyway. Buying a crappy looking domestic/Japanese car is likely to a better bet than an old BMW/Audi etc no matter how much better you think it will be becuase of repair costs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So - to threadjack a little (me and a mate are considering getting a car for the season) - how much is a car and insurance likely to cost assuming we go for the cheap end of the range?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Car I'd budget $1500 at least as there seemed to be some real crap around at lower prices when I bought. Insurance can't remember but it didn't seem massively out of kilter with what you'd pay in the UK. Handy in Fernie when you get stir crazy and have to make a break to the big city Cranbrook rolling eyes but better to go to Red, WH20, KH etc
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Second fatbob's idea.

If you can swing the cash, pay a bit more initially to get something in better shape. You can sell it when you leave and recoup some of the initial outlay. Your total out of pocket for the season might be just about the same while saving a lot of hassle and headach with the constant breakdown and cost of repair of a peice of junk.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we lived in Vancouver for a year. I bought a 15 year old subaru justy with 260,000km on the clock for 1200 bucks! Perfect ski-bum car as 4wd/2wd, realiable as a cart horse, cheap as chips to run, insurance cheap.

look on craigslist if you are flying in to Vancouver as lots of cheap cars to be picked up there.

I sold it a year later with an extra 27,000 kms on the clock for 700 bucks. I spent about $1000 over the year on new brakes (kind of crucial)

There is no MOT in BC so you can run the car into the ground.

Car insurance was actually quite expensive compared to the UK, about 100 dollars a month

Happy days Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Iv just booked me flights and got a great price to Seattle rather than Vancouver. So now looking to buy a motor in the USA and drive it to Canada. any ideas on how that would work?
Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
complicated i would suspect, as you will need to pay duty. and change registration etc etc....
way better off to buy when you get to Vancouver
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
roastingdave, I thought you wre just going to get a pack of huskies and an empty beer keg for them to pull.. well I never.

Let me know how you get on as I will be looking to buy when I get to BC to snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What would an American person do when driving up to Canada on holiday? Im sure they dont re-register their car... Puzzled
Is there a time limit to how long you take a car over the border? Because we fly back from Seattle (at the moment) we would be selling/dumping the car near there.
Roll on the snow. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roastingdave, my bro is getting the 4x4 he bought in NZ this season shipped to Vancouver and is going to use it for the season. No import duty as he will be a "tourist". I reckon you wouldn`t need to re-register an American vehicle.. although I think there may be potentially som eissues with insurance.. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It maybe different if only temporary. But even having an Alberta car it means registering in BC if its long term.

all is revealed here

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roastingdave wrote:
What would an American person do when driving up to Canada on holiday? Im sure they dont re-register their car... Puzzled
Is there a time limit to how long you take a car over the border? Because we fly back from Seattle (at the moment) we would be selling/dumping the car near there.
Roll on the snow. Toofy Grin

It's 30 dyas for the insurance. (or maybe 90, doesn't matter, since you'll be there longer than that anyway)

Technically, it's 7-10 days for the registration IF YOU MOVED (vs. travel).

In brief:

First, you need an address for the insurance if you plan to get your insurance in the US. Same for Canada, I believe.

Then, if you move, you need to change both the registration and the insurance to reflect the correct address.

That's the by-the-book way of doing it.

If you have a mate in Seattle to handle the paper work that comes in the mail, you're fine. You just have to remember, if you ever in an accident or got stopped by police, that you LIVE IN SEATTLE!

Unless there's a distinct advantage of buying at Seattle, I don't see why you want all that bother.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roastingdave, I'm also working as an instructor at Big White this season Very Happy Are you working for the adult or kids ski school?

Me and my friend are heading out to Vancouver on Wednesday, but heading up to Kelowna around the 20th November. When are you flying out? When were you planning on being in resort? I'll give you my Canadian number if you're interested - would be great to meet some new people before we head up the mountain.
ski holidays
PurplePenguin, Welcome to snowHeads. If roastingdave doesn't pick up your post (as the thread is a few weeks old) you can PM (Private Mail) him.
latest report
Hi purplepenguin,
Hope you are well! NehNeh

Very Happy Glad to see your heading over nice and early.....my fiance and I are leaving it to the last min so we can save up enough ££ to last the season...yeha. Just got my LMO in today. Perfect. Did you get yours already? Very Happy We will be in resort on the 8th Dec as we fly out the 5th. Just getting a few things like canadian bank account etc sorted in Vancouver then up to Kelowna, buy a car then hit the mountain.
Madeye-Smiley
Would be well up for a few beers and the like apon arrival. PM me your canadian number and I will give you a call.

Have you got accom sorted? we are looking for a room if you hear of any.

Have you worked in BW before?or any other instructor seasons?

hope the trip goes well and give me a shout and we will catch up.
Very Happy
snow report
PurplePenguin, I sit across from RoastingDave (his name ain`t Dave though.. I don`t understand).

I have prodded him.

I am also heading to Van.

I land on 17th Nov and then heading up to Silver Star via Kelowna.
ski holidays
In my opinion, car insurance here is VERY EXPENSIVE, so be prepared.

I bought full proof of my noclaims, which ICBC excepted thankfully, and still paid $2000 for a years insurance, a similar car in UK was costing me £300. Be aware!

But certainly it was not a problem to get insurance with my UK licence. (although i have since taken the BC driving test and got a BC licence)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy