Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach and Zell am See connection

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
denfinella wrote:
@tatmanstours, why do you think the run down from the midstation towards the Saalbach valley is a ski route and not a proper piste? Is it just because it's narrow?

Seems strange that (what will become) such an important linking piste is only a ski route.

My guess would be it environmentally related, perhaps a trade off to get what they have is that they had to leave the bottom part as a ski route and therefore in its natural state?

It will also be quite steep, in fact the whole piste from the top on the Zell side is narrow, steep, icy and bumpy. Only yesterday someone described it to me as like trying to ski down the back of a wet fish! I had never heard that expression before but it sums it up nicely.

IMHO ZamS have got what they wanted and tbh badly needed, a link into the ski circus. I reckon they know most folks will download by lift on the Zell side, the piste is just a bit of window dressing for 80% of skiers?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

@tatmanstours, why do you think the run down from the midstation towards the Saalbach valley is a ski route and not a proper piste? Is it just because it's narrow?

I can’t really comment on what it’s like, not yet having done it. However a friend has done it, and she’s a pretty cautious skier. She said that it brings you out onto a mountain track or road, which may be why it can’t be made into an official piste. She actually went completely off-piste through the trees (following someone else) and said she found it tricky, but that it would have been a lot easier if she’d stuck to the ski route. I’m seeing her this evening so can ask for more information.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bob wrote:
denfinella wrote:

Seems strange that (what will become) such an important linking piste is only a ski route.

Isn't the general rule that Ski routes are un prepared...
I'd guess that they haven't yet 'dozed' the last bit down to the valley floor.

There is no definition of a ski route it varies between ski areas, yes they are generally unpisted but not always (eg Schindlerkar at St Anton). Sometimes they are simply paths down through the trees (eg the route from the bottom of the Schmiedalmlift back to Scheffau). Perhaps they all are without snow making machines, though maybe someone will point out where that is wrong. In this case creating an official piste would mean chopping down even more trees and installing all the snow making paraphernalia, so calling an existing track a "ski route" is much easier. If the majority of skiers use the lift to download it makes little difference to the project.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
munich_irish wrote:
If the majority of skiers use the lift to download it makes little difference to the project.

Agree completely, that has been my point since my first post on this thread. ZamS needed to be able to officially link into S/H. The number of beds and quality of hotels and the ski area available just didn't match anymore. Zell were literally running out of things to do to what they had, I can't think of anywhere else I've been with such an extent of relatively new lifts and chairs, they needed more kms more than anything else and now they have it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ski route down from the mid station is not actually very steep at all and would be skiable by most people. I too am surprised that it hasn’t been given a bigger profile. It will no doubt become more popular from this coming season, but its life might actually be quite short lived, assuming that a new lift up to the other side of the Saalbach valley gets built at Viehofen, thus removing the need for the current bus connection.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

but its life might actually be quite short lived, assuming that a new lift up to the other side of the Saalbach valley gets built at Viehofen, thus removing the need for the current bus connection.

Good point. No point in creating a new piste, if it just leads to a bus stop along the road.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austrian Seagull wrote:
The ski route down from the mid station is not actually very steep at all and would be skiable by most people. I too am surprised that it hasn’t been given a bigger profile. It will no doubt become more popular from this coming season, but its life might actually be quite short lived, assuming that a new lift up to the other side of the Saalbach valley gets built at Viehofen, thus removing the need for the current bus connection.

Just looked at a map and see that it dog-legs almost at right angles to the side and then down a road as was mentioned earlier so can see the it won't be as steep as I thought. You're right though, would be a waste of money unless the Saalbach side lift and snowmaking never happens?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
toyah807 wrote:
Sorry if this is answered within but will the S/H lift pass this year include unlimited access across the whole Zell area too? I agree with all the earlier remarks about plenty to be going on with S/H alone.... May bring more the other way etc, so its more of a theoretical question. Or is it one days skiing across like some lift passes? Out to S/H in January and can't wait.

All one pass https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/skitickets/skitickets-shlf
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just on my way back from a week in Zell, picked up my season pass for bargain 590 euro
Not much being made of the connection to Saalbach in the local advertising, more on the connection of Maiskogel to kitzsteinhorn

Main reasons to come across to Zell from Saalbach for me would be
1) Blacks 13 and 14 (not sure if they have changed number this year)
2) Views from Schmitten down the valley to the lake especially if frozen

Main reasons to go from Zell to Saalbach for me
1) longer day tours/loops
2) chicken man
3) apre ski
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy