Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I found inspiration - Laax it is!

Poster: A snowHead
Due to 'someone' only just finally deciding that we will go to Big White again next year - and then finding the flights have gone up £250 since my quote in July rolling eyes , we're not now going to Big White Sad Sad

But I normally spend all year sussing out where we can go next - I'm at a loss and I need some help! snowHead snowHead

Basic requirements: a week in Europe from 2 Feb. A hotel - package with flight should be no more than about £650. Not too fussed about type of resort but needs a good mix of skiing. Already going to Obertauern and Kitzbuhel.

So - some thoughts:

Wengen - any recommendations for good hotels, bookable through a TO.

Zermatt - again, any good hotels and which lift is it better to be near. I'm thinking the Sunegga.

Ischgl?

One of the resorts on the Sella Ronda - which one and is the skiing there a bit tame? (Thinking of the OH not me!) Any recommendations?

Anywhere else? Very Happy Can someone just make the decision please Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-10-07 13:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy,
I can never remember the hotels I've been to so can't really help on the front. Have been to all the resorts you have mentioned except Sella Ronda and they are all prtty good. Though if you are worried about tame skiing the on piste stuff at Wengen is generally pretty tame. The off piste has a reasonable reputation but it was a long time ago that I was there and didn't do much in those days.

Another place worth considering that has good skiing is easy to put a DIY package together via Zurich and had a good hotel on my visit at a reasonble price is Flims.
Extensive and enjoyable a bit south facing so maybe best at this time of the year. Can't remember name of hotel though. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Moritz. Best resort in the world.

Chamonix. Best skiing in the world.

Zermatt. Best piece of Toblerone in the world.

Lech. Best resort in Austria.

Verbier. Best nightlife in the Alps.

Take your pick.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you fancy Austria, hurry up and book, as it's fasching week from Feb 2nd so it's very busy!!

Deb
ski holidays
 brian
brian
cathy, potential problem is that easter is early this year, so carneval/fasching is as well, 2-9 Feb is the peak week in Austria/Switerland this season. If you could go a week earlier it would probably be cheaper/easier to book and might help with flights as well.

Anyway, of the places you mention I've only skied at Zermatt, but I think everyone should go there at least once, it's Matterhorntastic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone - didn't realise 2 Feb week was peak time Austria/Switzerland! Evil or Very Mad It was fine for Canada rolling eyes Having a look at hotels I'd noticed there didn't seem to be much availability around for that week - now I know why...... Don't really fancy packed pistes Skullie .

We could go a week earlier but we're only back from Obertauern on 19 Jan - so we'd be back a week then off again.......I'd like it a bit more spread out if only by a week to allow time for clothes washing!

Ho-hum - time for plan C I think.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, have you been prescribed ritalin recently.

Your last few posts have been insightful, helpfull and intelligent.

Please stop it. Twisted Evil wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, I second T Bar's recommendation of Flims/Laax (obviously), easy connections, no need for TO. Yes, 2 Feb is Fasching week and getting booked up quickly, but the two hotels at the base station in Laax, the Laaxerhof and the Signina, are both nice and practically ski in - maybe 50 m to lifts and bottom of the pistes

If you could go a week later, both the Laaxerhof and Signina have all-in packages (HB, lift pass etc). You would need to get there, but there are plenty of reasonablish options and the package and flight should come in around your budget

Signina packages
Laaxerhof packages
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now I'd never considered Flims/Laax before but looking at your links it does look a distinct possibility, although probably would have to be the week later, which is a bit more awkward. Thanks eng_ch & T Bar! Very Happy Will investigate this further snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy, Have you decided on how you are going to punish "someone" yet?? I am sure snowHeads would be happy to advise!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, Laughing Laughing oh believe me he'll suffer for this! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Is this a typical man thing though??? I put all the info in front of him - a few options, range of prices. I know from the start which one he's going to go for though.......yet he can't actually commit to it. Why not??? Evil or Very Mad If it was up to me I'd have everything booked as soon as possible, got early bird discounts, cheap flights - no, let's wait & pay more! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, so why give the poor darling the choice?! There must be obedience classes for this kind of thing.

We split the duties down the middle. I organise winter holidays, she organises summer. I get a brief chance to moan and then she books it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy wrote:
... Is this a typical man thing though??? ...
Yep Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, the Signina is also doing a package for week of 2 Feb, but excludes lift pass:

http://www.signina.ch/en/zimmer/pauschalangebote_wintertop.html

BTW I feel your pain Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did you check Inghams costs for Canada, they had some cracking deals last year.....around £199 I think for room on arrival to Banff and Fernie!!
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, don't worry - he'll be brought into line for the next season and TOLD where we're going Toofy Grin

kitenski - yes, we've always found Inghams to be pretty good with prices to Banff, although never done a last minute one! But flying with Monarch is a bit of a minus point - not that there's anything wrong with them but it is pretty cramped in cattle class. Unless you pay for the upgrade - by which time it isn't quite so cheap Madeye-Smiley

The more I'm reading about Flims/Laax the better its sounding - I think this could be a goer! Very Happy snowHead The Signia hotel looks good - is this area the better for staying or is it better to stay at Flims? It looks fine for lifts etc. Bit concerned at its popularity with boarders! Shocked wink wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
cathy, although apparently the apres in Laax isn't very highly rated .... Laughing

latest report
brian, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
cathy, you just need to laugh at the Andy Pandy suits!

The Signina is in Murschetg which is a tiny community based around the lifts - there are night clubs, bars, restos, the two 4* hotels with wellness, ski hire shops, a supermarket, hole-in-the-wall, ski school, all in a tiny area. It does tend to hop but, being Swiss, is rarely too noisy. If you want to go elsewhere of an evening or finish skiing in Flims, the ski bus runs half-hourly during the day and hourly all through the night and is free with lift pass (think there's a small supplement at night, but if you ring up it will pick you up almost any time IIRC). If you want village life, then Flims is better but chances are you won't find anywhere to stay within walking distance of the lifts. I personally wouldn't bother with Laax Dorf, it's very pretty but quiet - and again is a bus ride from the lifts. The first time we skied there we parked in Flims, but ever since felt more drawn to Laax, don't know why. The mountain all feels the same, it has a very friendly vibe imo, which is why we bought there. Also the pistes down to Laax have snow making all the way down (think Flims might have this year too but it has suffered in the past).

Oh, btw I suspect the 2 4* hotels will be too expensive for the boarders - they tend to rent apartments or stay in the Riders Palace, which is also one of *the* venues in - well, certainly Graubunden
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, Don't you just love 'em ! rolling eyes

Have you been to St Anton ? I was surprised that wasn't on your list as it would be good challenging skiing for your SO (not that he deserves it!) Not that I've been, but it's on my list. We have been to Zermatt, and it is good, and I too would love to try Ischgl.
snow conditions
Thanks eng_ch, very informative and sounds ideal! Especially the hotels banning - er, I mean, what a shame the hotels price out the boarders wink wink . Just checking out flights now but they look very expensive for the week of the 2nd, looks like it may have to be the next week.

IncogSkiSno, the grovelling after is quite fun to watch though Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . Funnily enough St Anton has never particularly appealed to me - nothing to do with one of its strongest proponents I'm sure! Toofy Grin But looks like Wengen, Zermatt and Ischgl will remain on my 'to do' list for a bit longer snowHead
snow conditions
Well thanks to eng_ch and all her help, I have just booked flights to Zurich and hotel in Laax - yay!! snowHead snowHead Very happy bunny here Very Happy
snow conditions
cathy, the Signina?
snow report
cathy,
Enjoy it, I thought it was great on my visit. The other resorts on your list are well worth te effort as well. If you don't fancy St Anton try Lech sometime really good skiing and easy enough to have a look at St Antons skiing from and not as pricey as people seem to think, certainly less so than the pricier French resorts.
ski holidays
Thanks T Bar, we're really looking forward to it! snowHead I think next year we might try and get a visit in to Zermatt but Lech is also sounding good - very pricey through TOs though so we'd have to see about DIYing Very Happy

eng_ch, yes, the Signina Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
cathy, you wont regret it! If you're a decent skier then don't forget to take in the Cassonsgrat. And of course look at Crap Sogn Gion in the evening sun and enjoy your Jagatee Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy