Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can't afford new boots

Poster: A snowHead
Much as I would love new boots I just can't afford it but from reading threads on here I've come to the conclusion that my (Salomon) boots don't fit - I can both curl my toes and lift my hells inside them Mad I bought them in France with virtually no advice from the fitter and I live miles from a boot fitter so don't have that option so please could somebody answer some questions for me:

Is there a way to make my boots a better fit?

Eg. Can I put insoles in my boots to make them tighter?

Is it possible to buy new liners that might improve the fit?

My boots have single canting but what is canting and how do I adjust the canting (it is turned as far clockwise as it will go and will only turn anti-clockwise, marked with a +)? Apparently I am knock-knee'd and Mr M reckons that adjusting the canting could help recify this.

As an Intermediate should I have the boots on the firm setting, only ever used them on soft?

If nothing can be done, how will the poor fit affect my skiing?

Would it be better to hire boots?

Sorry I know now that I've gone about this all wrong but its too late. On the upside my boots are warm and comfy and I've had a reasonable amount of wear out of them.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you really do need new boots from a competant fitter. And there's no such thing as "can't afford it".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, If I bought new boots I wouldn't have enough money to go skiing - what would you do?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marmalade:
- scour the house for unused stuff to ebay. Some sucker will probably even give £25 for ya old boots.
- ask for Lockwoods/CEM/Profeet gift vouchers for b'day & Xmas.
- start saving all your loose change.
- give up drinking & put the dosh saved to one side. I've been 'on the wagon' for the last 7 weeks, dropped a stone in weight & saved a couple of hundred quid.
- do some overtime or get a part-time job. It's only by having a second job that I'll get to ski 4/5 weeks this season.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Marmalade, there's a post at the end of the "Fancy trying some new boots out" thread regarding a bootfitter at Nevada Sports in Tignes Le Lac. May be worth taking your boots to him when you're in Tignes in December - he might be able make some adjustments that will help. It's got to be worth a try, anyway!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Can I put insoles in my boots to make them tighter?

Is it possible to buy new liners that might improve the fit?

By the time you try out all the different options of insole and liners, you might end up spending half of a new boot.

Go see a boot fitter and ask for an opinion. Without seeing the boot and your feet, it's hard to advice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go look at last year's boots... you'd not have to pay more than 100 quid I'm sure. It's easy enough to rustle up 100 quid, as others have said it's amazing the shoite some people will buy on ebay.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hire boots. Don't buy if it means you can't ski. bad fitting boots will spoil your enjoyment of skiing and may cause an injury. I once skied in borrowed boots/skis that were neither the right size/length for me. I fell and hurt my knee really badly and that was partly down to bad equipment and bad technique. abc, is right, you'll spend more trying to fix what isn't right than starting over.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmalade,
What size are you looking for? I'm replacing my Salomon boots which are in great nick but unfortunately 2 sizes too big for me Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

scour the house for unused stuff to ebay. Some sucker will probably even give £25 for ya old boots

He's got a point! I flogged my old Salomons on eBay for nearly £50 and they'd had about 15 weeks use. Salomon stuff really holds its value, God knows why, but you might be surprised how much you can get.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hywel, I have pixie feet, about UK 4.5. As I said my currect boots are too big so I don't know what would be the right size.

spyderjon, I didn't think about selling my old boot to raise a few quid. They have certainly had less than 15 weeks of use so could probably get a decent amount for them.

Can anyone answer the canting question as Mr M also has canting and doesn't know what to do with it??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marmalade wrote:
Apparently I am knock-knee'd and Mr M reckons that adjusting the canting could help recify this.

No, the only thing it does is align the cuff of you boot to be centered around your shin.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marmalade, my feet are that size and I have a pair of atomic boots barely used for sale....(but they may not be what you want either)...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marmalade, start collecting £2 coins - I paid for my boots and train ticket that way and had change left over - only took 12 months.
Start now and you'll have enough for the next Lockwoods event.

Nike - just do it !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK I've decided to Ebay everything I own and sell a child (who needs 2 twins anyway?).

Anyone want a stroppy 13 year old?
ski holidays
marmalade, can the kid cook and clean house? i need a house slave Wink
snow report
little tiger, If he could I'd keep the child and sod the ski boots!

Although your boots would probably be OK, I've learned my lesson. Next time I buy boots I will get from a good bootfitter - by the time I can afford them they'll need to match my zimmer frame wink
ski holidays
marmalade wrote:
Hywel, I have pixie feet, about UK 4.5. As I said my currect boots are too big so I don't know what would be the right size.

No problem, a bargain for you mine are about UK 10.... nothing that an extra pair of fluffy ski socks and a pair of Scholl Airpillo insoles couldn't sort out wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy