Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip to Tignes 1st May(advice needed)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning a long weekend trip to Tignes on May 1st till May 5th for my birthday-i'm not sure on the numbers yet but there could be anything between 6 and 10 of us.

Can anyone reccomend cheapish accommodation for that time either a large 3 or 4 bedroom apartment or maybe a cheap hotel/chalet (if there is such a thing in Tignes!).

Also,on the flights front-does anyone know when most of the budget airlines start selling their flights for these dates and which airlines are still flying to the french alpine airports at that time as i know a lot of routes tend to stop by mid April.

Finally-based on 6-10 of us travelling what would be the cheapest way of getting us to and from the resort/airport?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic_Mick, for accomodation look at www.tignes.net - we nearly did the same type of trip a couple of years ago (ended up going to Val D instead) a couple of hotels were very reasonably priced, sorry can't recall names though.

Flights typically realeased Nov/Dec

Hire car / minibus prob cheapest - 9 seater minibus would work out best value but maybe a couple of cars most practical - search on here for links to cheap car hire with holiday autos, if going to GVA rent on the Swiss side.

Chambery better for Tignes but unlikley to have ski flights there in May so you'll prob have to go GVA.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Accomodation, try the Alpaka, Dragon Lodge, tignes.co.uk

They may also be able to help with flights, transfers etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Atomic_Mick, www.tignes.co.uk have lots of apartments and do door to door mini bust transfers too
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you sure it is within the season? We went at the end of April this year and it was pretty much the end and we had to go EasyJet from either Luton or Stansted to Geneva. THe last flights from various places were 14th April. However we had a great time - we did one of Mountain Sun's 3-day specials - rather like the Atomic Boot Camp deal on at the moment - cost us £99 plus flights, plus liftpass & any kit hire. Mountain Sun did the transfer in a minibus and the guest service at the hotel was excellent. The ski bus stops virtually outside the door every half hour and is efficient. Joanne from MountainSun is a SH!

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/tignes.htm
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Atomic_Mick,

Booking for the end of the season already, makes me feel sad Sad

Tignes will still be open for your birthday, should close 8th May, so no problem with the snow. Laughing Laughing

As Newskier says mountainsunltd did some great deals at the end of last season. I don't think you will beat £99 for Flight, transfer,food & accomodation. Their accomodation is pretty good too Blush
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We will be doing a similar deal to last spring - same sort of thing as the boot camp but without the equipment included in the price. PM or email me if you want details.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies-i've sent a few enquiries out and a pm to Joanne Mountainsun, i've had prompt replies from John at Dragonlodge and Clare at tignes.co.uk so thanks for those.

stewart woodward, how much of the area is likely to be open when i plan to go-is the Espace Killy area and link to val lifts still running then (snowcover permitting) or is it just the glacier/Val Claret area open at that time?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Atomic_Mick, when we were there 1 May 2006 almost everything was open and still in reasonablygood cond.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val D'Isere website says "Val d'Isère will be open from Dec. 1st, 2007 to May 4th, 2008."

My bdays on 15th May, wondering about coming out for closing weekend...Mountainsuns offer sounds v good, have Pm'd you Joanne
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Atomic_Mick, 2007 was not the best season for snow but when we went (end April) there was plenty and everything, even nursery slopes were open. The sun was really hot meaning I was skiing without a jacket but of course that meant conditions were a bit slushy lower down by the afternoon. My friends were taken for some excellent skiing to Le Fornet by one of the Mountain Sun staff (Caroline) - it wasn't far, and they spent one day in Val D'Isere, and that was fine too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Val D'Isere website says "Val d'Isère will be open from Dec. 1st, 2007 to May 4th, 2008."

My bdays on 15th May, wondering about coming out for closing weekend...Mountainsuns offer sounds v good, have Pm'd you Joanne

Last couple of seasons the closing day for Tignes has been 8th May.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've been to Val D'Isere on the 1st weekend in May for the past 2 seasons and each time found 60-70% of the Espace Killy open. They do a great job of keeping runs to the valley open (admittedly a bit slushy by afternoon - but far better than ice, me thinks) and higher up you have great snow. It's a fantastic time to ski if you like completely deserted slopes - on Bank holiday Monday we skiied the first hour of the day at La Daille and Bellevarde before we saw another skier! Most mountain restaurants were closed, however, and very few restaurants were open in the town - but if you like letting rip on empty runs it's a time of year that's hard to beat!

You know it makes sense!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That sounds very nice-deserted slopes and nice soft/slushy snow,i'm just waiting now for easyjet to bring their summer flights out(i've read somewhere that its usually mid-end november they do this) and then i'll book a nice little trip as an excuse for my birthday,i might start trying that every year if its that good-i'm already half thinking of doing something like that but for the whole week when i reach the big 4 o.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
try http://www.flatline-tignes.com/ or http://www.just-going.com

I love Tignes, looking forward to going again last week of March.
ski holidays
If the snow is enough, and better than valthorens, it's possible that we will meet there.... Laughing Laughing Laughing ..... In spain the 1st May is day off, so we can take 4 days for the last season skiing .....

We will decide one week or less before...or even the day before depending on conditions....
snow conditions
Atomic_Mick wrote:

stewart woodward, how much of the area is likely to be open when i plan to go-is the Espace Killy area and link to val lifts still running then (snowcover permitting) or is it just the glacier/Val Claret area open at that time?

All the area should still be open. Normally very quiet pistes & loads of sunshine Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy