Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Telegraph ski season review?

Poster: A snowHead
Just flicked through this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2007/10/06/et-ski-resorts-106.xml

got to be said normal run of the mill stuff - best places to ski in each month of season - all the normal suspects.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He seems to recommend every resort in the world Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lets keep the advertiser happy? Seems to be the problem with most ski mags or should that be resort brochures - very rare anything critical is said about resorts or equipment - wouldn't want to put off the advertisers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and surprise surprise surprise, the writer has yet again given Ski Peak and Vaujany their weekly big plug. Isn't there anywhere else to stay?

waynos, yes, I'd like to see the mags do some secret shopper type stuff. The papers really should be looking after us better and they have no excuse as the advertisers need them more than they need the little classified ski advertisers. We've all heard the horror stories (on here) yet none of the press really run with it. I think it comes down to the individual writers wanting to remain popular and continue on their freebie 5 star, business class world tour wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller wrote:
and surprise surprise surprise, the writer has yet again given Ski Peak and Vaujany their weekly big plug. Isn't there anywhere else to stay?

barely!

that said, i believe a certain journalist does quite well out of ski peak hospitality Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
i believe a certain journalist does quite well out of ski peak hospitality Confused
... quite, then there was the ski journo who really "bigged up" Bulgaria in his national paper column - later we (the Crony Police, Chief Inspector Swiller at your service) learned he'd just bought a few investment properties there! That's my problem with ski journalism in the UK - others make serious buying decisions based on their supposed inbiaised views.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will jump to Mr Hardy's defence, he is a very knowledgeable and personal chap. But I expect every year brings the same editorial conversation,

ED, "We need fresh perspective on where to ski this year, Hardy, set to it!".

OUR HERO, "Yes, sir, I'm on the case!"

Except there really aren't many new where to ski paradigms.

All that said, and shifting slightly sideways on the fence, I once heard of a budding ski journalist on a high circulation ski mag who, upon expressing joy at having to write up St Anton (having never been there) was handed the previous article, a couple of competitors articles, lift map and the tourist office brochure and told in no uncertain terms that he didn't need to visit the place to do a decent description.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

high circulation ski mag
is there such a beast?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From the US point of view, they're mainly reasonable recommendations. Not sure I would recommend Killington in April nowadays. And Taos in Jan could be a gamble in a low snow year, because their steep terrain does require a lot of snow cover.
I'm sure plenty more people can find ways to pick holes in this story - it should probably be seen merely as a catalyst for debate; there is no perfect ski resort, just differing opinions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

there is no perfect ski resort, just differing opinions.
absolutely. But the perfect resort can't always be Vaujany can it?... esp as it seems to have only one place to stay wink

Here he goes again... his list of "the classic ski runs"... http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=672&desc=Are%20you%20good%20enough%20to%20ski%20the%20classics? You've gotta laugh at the last one! Meantime he's missed many of the real classics. The Crony Police are always on the beat.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well, I keep going back to Vaujany and no-one pays me to Little Angel
however, there are much more interesting things to do than the "champagne run"
I think that article is a re-run from the Torygraph
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll ammend it slightly

November through to May for Hokkaido, but don't bother with Furano.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fernie in December could be a bit of a lottery.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fernie in Jan and Feb can be a lottery as well - personal experience from 3 years ago when we had 3 weeks of very warm and rainy weather, more or less washed all the snow away. Just shows that the weather can be changeable in any resort.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
welove2ski> History: none. Emile Allais, the legendary French downhill champion gave his name to one of them - just as Ernest Hemingway gave his name to a bar in every resort in the Alps.

Hmmm, well Emile was the head of piste patrol at Courchevel and was avalanched in the couloir while slope cutting but apart from that, no history. Doh!

Peter Hardy, the guy who complains about the view in the French alps.... however I'm not sure about the back handers. He wrote a rave review about a friend's restaurant and neither asked for a freebie nor made it known he was a journalist. So maybe he is more on the level than we give him credit for.
snow report
Another article from the The Sunday Times on the world's best snow.
ski holidays
kerekip, unfortunately articles like that just add to the condition suffered by 90% of the UK's ski population... "unfounded lack of snow anxiety" or ULSA to give it a medical name. He's right on one thing though. No two winters are exactly the same which is why you should happily book into your favourite low lying place if you want to. Imagine a week on man-made concrete in the Dolomites rolling eyes - the fact that top racers like it really doesn't compute.
snow report
kerekip wrote:
Another article from the The Sunday Times on the world's best snow.

Pimp my website dot com! The good thing about these articles is that it is the same old stuff which keeps the gapers out of the good places.
snow conditions
davidof, yes, Chief Inspector Swiller of the Crony Police has duly noted the unashamed plug of the ST journos own website Laughing
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
davidof, yes, Chief Inspector Swiller of the Crony Police has duly noted the unashamed plug of the ST journos own website Laughing

Don't forget the WL2Ski free sky tv satellite dish offer !
snow conditions
Christ I could have trotted that article out in about 10 mins.

Would be interesting if he hadn't relied on glacier resorts for Europe.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, yeah, you are right, at this time of the year articles like this can be read by dozen every day on the web. The editors are realising that winter is coming and they just need an article just because other papers write on skiing as well. So, they hire someone who needs 20 min to put together a few paragraphs. It does not have to be professional, it is intended for the public. Plus, it must have a fancy title like 'the best resorts in the world', or 'best snow in the world'.
But looking for the top 5 resorts in the world makes as much sense as finding the 5 sexiest women in the world.
It is good for only one thing. It generates opinions and we can comment them in threads like this.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy