Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US skiing hits 10-year price low...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...according to today's Sunday Times.

This article by Sean Newsom draws attention to price cuts across the board compared to last year, and quotes one tour operator who found a price for one of its January holidays £99 cheaper than 1995. However, it seems the headline and claim are somewhat OTT.

The general tone of the piece is very much pro-USA, which is fair enough. The author enthuses:

Quote:
"Skiing in North America is all about affordable luxury: the luxury of beautifully groomed, empty pistes; of mid-range hotel and condominium rooms that are twice as large as their Alpine equivalents; of attentive, painstaking tuition; of dry, fluffy powder snow. Add to this the low cost of everything once you arrive and North America starts to look like an irresistible proposition."

I (for one) have never seen the irresistible draw. The "dry, fluffy powder snow" is far from guaranteed. Five US trips - to Utah, Colorado, Vermont and Washington State - have yielded snow no better or worse than the Alps (and remember that the snowmaking industry got going in America decades before it was felt needed in Europe).

But there's no need for prejudice. US skiing is what it is: very good for those who appreciate its specific 'service qualities', but not so good when it comes to outright terrain drama. There's rather too much skiing on tree-lined avenues for my liking.

Anyone have any comments on the Sunday Times piece?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't seen the Sunday Times.

I've just been over in New Jersey / New York state and seen evidence of a number of little resorts on the road up to Ithaca. I got the impression that they were handy for the locals but not worth a big trip to visit, around there the ski-ing is seriously tree-lined. It is pretty much continuous woodland for 100's of miles.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a Yank, I agree completely with both of the previous posts.

In addition, I would point out that while package tours to come to the USA from across the pond may have become less expensive (I wouldn't know), lift ticket prices in the US continue to rise year after year - they certainly are not at a 10 yr. low.

Tom / PM
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can it have anything to do the fact that they finger print us and measure our ski lengths at the immigration? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not having anyone measuring my length. Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
...or my wife's sidecut Wink

Tom / PM
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boys, boys, everyone knows that it's width that's most important, not length!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...........and how does "everyone" know this Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy