Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on which resort in the Italian Dolomites ?

Poster: A snowHead
Bruski, riverman, Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After some problems that have prevented me booking I'm now about to get it sorted over the next few weeks.

To keep my wife happy (never easy) I want to make sure that the resorts, in addition to being on the Sella Ronda, have:

a) some decent local'ish skiing
b) minimal drag lifts

I've narrowed it to either Selva, Arabba or possibly Corvara.

Any experience of these resorts with respect to my questions above would be great would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Selva three times, I can thoroughly recommend it; spectacular scenery, extensive skiing, cosy mountain restaurants, reasonable prices and good quality. I have also skied the other resorts as these are easily reachable using the Sella Ronda links.

Selva is quite a large village so can be difficult finding accommodation near (walking) to the lifts. Corvara has easiest access to easy runs. Arabba has some steeper runs. Selva has plenty of local skiing in three directions: twd the Sella Pass, twd the Gardena pass and in the Seceda bowl although you will come across some reds to access some of these. The village of Colfosco (next to Corvara) has a particularly pretty setting, is all virtually ski-in ski-out, has it's own little ski area, some easy progresser slopes and easy access to anywhere else on the Sella Ronda. There aren't many drags in the whole area (see previous posts). The lift system has seen a lot of upgrades in the last few years.

So, they're all good, just a question of how easy you want the local skiing to be. It might be more about which flights and accommodation you can find and the prices of such.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pokemon, I think the only drag we *had* to use on our visit to Arabba last year was the Campolongo - on the way towards Corvara, I see on the piste map here that it is now marked as being replaced with a quad chair. This the only drag on the Sella Ronda circuit (in either direction). As for the rest of the skiing I'd echo luigi's comments above. We're trying Selva this year, mainly for a shorter transfer from Bolzano.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are looking to go to the dolomites but am unsure where. My wife Linda isn't the most confident skier although she can ski any red no problem even done a couple of easy blacks we didn't ski last year and i know she will panic about forgetting how to do it, we want a resort that is really pretty with great scenery a bit of apres ski after skiing nothing mad but nowhere that's dull so i have heard of Arraba, and selva and corvara and I think it's called colofsco could be wrong there, also that the runs aren't too steep or scary is it best to do a DIY or get a deal I read on here that innsbruck is a good airport to fly to is that correct as we live in york and Leeds/Bradford has flights there if not where is it best to fly to. We weren't planning to go this year but I do miss it and Italy has always appealed though I believe the snow isn't as reliable there is it. Am I correct in thinking there is no smoking in bars and restaurants? as that is one problem i have as I can't bear to be in smoky rooms. So to sum up I know i am asking the impossible but we want stunning scenery a lovely village nice gentle runs treelined if possible good food and not too busy! A good quality hotel with nice rooms not tired, Oh and not too long a transfer! I am asking too much aren't I. Thanks in advance
Andy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andyarmitage wrote:,
Quote:

Am I correct in thinking there is no smoking in bars and restaurants?

Yes, they were one of the first countries in Europe to bring it in.

Innsbruck is fairly close with good road connections. Also Verona and Bergamo are fairly handy.

Look here for snowhead reports on Italian resorts.

snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
me and my better half were in selva last march to check out this area for a group trip this coming feb and we gave it the thumbs up. stayed n canezei, st christina and selvaa, we think selva is the best base and we are booked in to the antares apartmets for feb.
i can understand the non confident wife problem as we had a spot of bother when we took the anticlockwise sella ronda route from selva. would advise you do the nursery for a while in the town before you head this route as if like us it was your first ski in 12 months its a bit daunting at the start for nervous skiers.the first slope is a red so i spent a full hr at the top trying to perswade herself to go for it. once she did it was plain sailing from there but would have benifitted her a lot if she had a run on the nursery slops first. going clockwise sella ronda route the first slope is not as steep and is overall a better ski trip.
nearest airport we can fly from cork is munich, we would love to have an option of flying to innsbruck as its very easy from there, motorway all the way to italy and short trip uphill after the turn off.checkout flytovalgardena.com as i am sure they now do a transfer service from innsbruck which is very reasonably priced.
there will be no prob with snow as they have the best snowmaking operation i have ever seen as when we were there in late march it was 18degrees and all the fields were green but all the slopes were open with a good cover if just a bit slushy towards the bottom. bars are no smoking depending where you go, some are split in 2 with glass partition seperating a smoke and no smoke area, most are fully non smoking, 1 or 2 are all smoking. village is not the prettiest we have ever seen mostly because of the busy road that runs thru it but it is surrounded by the best scenery we have ever seen and we have skied in about 15 different resorts in all.
it can be difficult to get accomodation in selva, we spent a long time searching for apartments for 11 people but you may have better luck if its just the 2 of you. we were trying the hotel concordia but they could acccommodate us all. they have a really good web site and the hotel did look nice from the quick look we had when we were there.
hope this helps
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for that i have read that selva isn't the prettiest place to stay and was wondering about the smaller places nearby ie arraba etc has anyone got any views on these smaller villages?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyarmitage, Sounds like Corvara would suit you best
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really! is a a nice pretty place with good scenery?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andyarmitage, yes and it has lots of long wide blue and red runs which i think you required. It also has some nice shops including a very good tea shop
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sounds great any nice hotels and how easy a transfer is it or how long should I say?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyarmitage, Have no knowledge of hotels but you could check the Corvara web-site. By coach its about a three hour transfer from Venice
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyarmitage, A large group of us stayed in Selva last year. As said before perhaps not the prettiest of resorts, but still had a good time. The dolomites are absolutely stunning, so have booked again this year but wanted more of a villagey atmosphere. We have plumped for Corvara as our group of 18 particularly liked that side of the Sella Ronda. Really lovely mountain restaurants and wonderful scenery. Yes we do love our skiing, but other bits add to the experience. Can't actually remember seeing the village of Corvara, only the gondola going over next door Colfosco, but the details on some of the sites (ski Club and If you Ski) it sounds just what we are looking for. As to the transfer, don't ask us as we have gone wrong - Milan Linate which is completely the wrong side so about 5 hours. Bolzano preferably or Venice look better bets.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the posts. Looks like we can't go wrong with any of them.
snow conditions
We've now booked for Arabba on 01/03/2008. In the end we have done a DIY approach although the accommodation and transfer has been booked by Sue Dunford at Simply Dolomiti - www.simplydolomiti.com
She was recommended by a fellow snowhead (dan100). I can't sing her praises enough in how helpful she has been. Little Angel

Our itinerary is:

Flight from East Midlands to Venice Marco Polo on 01/03 return on 08/03
Transfer by Dolomitistars ski bus to Arabba (only 29 euros return)
Stay at the 3 star Garni Laura B&B (Dolomitstars affliated hotel) which is only 50m from the lift

Apparently they have good snow at the moment. Fingers crossed it's still good when we go. Very Happy
ski holidays
pokemon, please report back here when you return Smile

Have you seen this ?? http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/laga5torri/inverno/piste.html
Not sure how far it is from Arabba but the Armentarola slope is worth a day trip from anywhere nearby.

James.
snow report
icicle, looks reasonably near although a bus ride. Have you been there ?
snow report
pokemon, There is a bus from Arabba but just as easy to ski to Corvara then over to Armenterola and then 15 min taxi ride to Laguzoi. Absolutely stunning scenery.
snow report
We're off in three weeks' time. Hugely looking forward to it - I've been four times and it's absolutely one of my favourite places to ride. Best thing right now about the place are the transfers - by a mile the cheapest we've found. Though we'd still go even if we had to hire a car....
snow conditions
I am hoping to go to the dolomites in March and wondered which resort would be suitable for a nervous near beginner.Ideally I'm looking for B& B in a small attractive village with easy access to long very easy blue runs and a good ski school.I've been looking at Ortesei and Covara and would appreciate any advice.
snow conditions
Hamish,

probably a bit late in the day now but there is lots to do in cortina
ski holidays
trevor, Was in Ortisei the week before last. Had two beginners with us, some nice easy runs on Alpe de Suisi, it's not busy there and the snow was very good (wasn't getting chopped up much). Corvara has a lot of shallow runs but it seemed busier and the runs were narrower. For charm I think Ortisei is nicer spot than Corvara (although I only passed through Corvara and haven't stayed there).
latest report
Thanks.
Can you recommend anywhere to stay.
snow report
Roy Hockley, thanks. From my piste map I have it looks as if you can nearly get all the way via Corvara. Where do you take the taxi from and to exactly and can you ski into Cortina once there ?

btw, how long does the bus from Arabba take ?
snow report
Going back to Selva in February - this will be the 3rd year running. The Dolomites are absolutely fantastic - prices a fraction of what you would pay in France.

You will love it.
snow report
nick0861, thanks . In the event our nervous skier dropped out and I found a deal at the time for Arabba - I go there on saturday! Looking froward to it immensely.
latest report
cool - enjoy yourself!

im going to cortina and then kronplatz on the 8th february so let me know what the snow is like when you get back!

its been heavy snow this week in the dolomites so with some nice clear skies now you should have great conditions
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

From my piste map I have it looks as if you can nearly get all the way via Corvara. Where do you take the taxi from and to exactly and can you ski into Cortina once there ?

Pokemon, you need to ski from Piz Sorega (in the Alta Badia sector above Corvara, accessible on skis from Arabba also) down to Armentarola. Just by the big hotel at the bottom of the piste, there are some guys with taxi-minibuses who, for 4 euros in 2005, will take you up to the cable car station at the Falzarego pass, there you get the cablecar up to Lagazuoi, where you can ski back down again to the cablecar station (steep black) or ski the Hidden Valley (red, first pitch is the steepest), halfway down is the lunch-stop Rifugio Scotoni and some frozen waterfalls. At the bottom (keep your speed up to ride out the flat section), there are guys with minibuses again (2 euros) or the horse-tow back to Hotel Armentarola, where you can get the drag that will give you enough uplift to catch the piste to San Cassiano and back toward Corvara/Arabba It feels like a real adventure on skis, the view at Lagazuoi is amazing, then you drop into the Valley with soaring rock walls on either side, one of the great runs of the Alps.

You can't ski all the way into Cortina from the pass, but there are two worthwhile ski areas (Col Gallina and Cinque Torri (5 Towers)) linked by a ski-bus that continues down past these to Cortina. The 5 Towers are huge rock pillars, again very scenic.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
The 5 Towers are huge rock pillars, again very scenic.

Home of my vote for cafe with best view, the terrace for the one on the top of the ridge, fantastic. Unfortunately we got someone to take the only photo we took of it and it came out washed out Crying or Very sad

btw as you know the area pretty well would you have any alternative advice for this guy: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34849 ?
snow conditions
luigi, But there are only actually four towers nowadays Happy

Apparently one fell down a few years ago.
ski holidays
alex_heney, 3 and some blocks here although I think the edge of the fourth is on the left of the picture
snow report
Quote:

btw as you know the area pretty well would you have any alternative advice for this guy: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34849 ?

Swirly, that one's beyond me, sounds like you're doing fine on your own! Toofy Grin

Best to fly back and out again with her mates, as it sounds like they haven't booked it yet. She's gonna need a launderette as well!
snow conditions
Pokemon, if you do have time to do the Armentarola slope, remember to take a camera !
And make sure you buy a Dolimiti Superski pass which will cover all the ski lifts and buses in the Dolomites.
I've been to the area twice - based in Cortina on both occasions - and both times in March - I have many fond memories of my time there - snow/skiing/food/weather were all brilliant. Enjoy.
ski holidays
Personally I like both Selva and Arraba. Both are well linked to the Sella Ronda in both directions and have all the amenities u need for a great ski holiday. Selva is bigger and has some great runs... Arraba is smaller and more picturesque and has tougher skiing on its own slopes. Also its slopes are higher so keep the snow better, and you have the Marmolada on the doorstep if u need a glacier.
snow conditions
luigi,

The bus is now 5 euros, but the horses are 2. If your a cheapskate like me you just adjust your poles to their maximum length (still a bit short of ideal) and skate the route back to the lifts trying to beat the horses. Its basically flat so an easy skate, there is also a section of xc cut trails in the area.
The hidden valley is a very impressive ski - well worth doing. We had lunch in the refugio above the top station of the cable car. I'd probably do the black first then hidden valley, but was worried about timings to get back to Arabba. Now I've done I know there'd be no problems.

The bus (to the Falzarego pass) and horse tow are not covered by the dolomite ski pass, but once there the cable car is.
latest report
Dave Horsley, Agree with you. You have to do the blacks first as you can do the other side of the cable car road and back up cable car (not for the faint hearted) and then the hidden valley. As it will cost you another €5 to take the taxi back to the cable car.

Great area. Must be one of the most scenic places in the world.
latest report
Dave Horsley, Roy Hockley, luigi, icicle, thanks for all the replies. Wish it was March !
latest report
Pokemon
Re Passo Falzarego - there is a little area opposite cable car (gallina) which is well worth a bit of go for a warm-up. Queue for cable car can be a bit long but jolly enough.
Other advice is that you MUST NOT have lunch before the Hidden Valley trip and you MUST have your lunch 1/2 way down at a place called Riugio Scotoni. They do this grilled meats dish with polenta on side that is just incredible. Suggest you also grab a pizza at 7-Sass in Arraba, its behind the Portovesco hotel - all celebrating various sporting stars, the more loaded ones are named after the big doping cheats of the cycling world!
Finally, try a bombardino every day in a different bar as the afternoon sun takes a dip...

cheers
Patrick
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy