Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee Ski School

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know of a good ski school in Saas Fee? I've read about the resort and it's not mega advanced from what I gather, I found out last year that sometimes more than one ski school operates in the same resort! Any recommendations...?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are two ski schools in Saas-Fee, Swiss Ski School and Eskimos. They both have offices close to the village square. They are also both on the web, at http://www.skischule-saas-fee.ch/ and http://www.eskimos.ch/ (sorry don't know the tricks for linking). Swiss run group lessons from 10 am to 1 pm only, Monday to Friday for everyone other than beginners (beginners run Sunday to Thursday). Eskimos offer, I think, either morning or full-day group lessons. I have not used either, but my wife has skied with Swiss - they were reasonably average in her experience. Personally, I like the ideas on the Eskimos site for those above the first few levels and do intend to try them. Eskimos is primarily a snowboard school, but I don't think you should let this put you off considering it for skiing instruction - it will just mean that the average age of the instructors is less.

The resort is what you make of it. At 1800 to 3500 m it is definitely snow-sure, but it can be cold at the top. You should take it gently for the first day or so because of the altitude. With a glacier in the middle of the valley, the runs generally come down either side. The easier way down gets busy at rush-hour and becomes rather worn at the end of the day. If in doubt, stay up high for that last run and take the gondola down. There are plenty of easier runs, a few more difficult ones, a couple of in-bounds unpisted runs and (I understand) loads you can do off piste with a guide who knows the glaciers.

Edited just to say how clever it is to recognise the links all by itself. Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will Stanton,
Quote:

I found out last year that sometimes more than one ski school operates in the same resort!

This is fairly common in Europe. It is only generally in N. America that the whole resort is owned by one company.. hence more often than not there is only one ski school. In Europe ski resorts have usually sprung up naturally from old villages etc. Therefore the ski facilities have developed over many years and are not dominated by one company. Having more than one ski school to choose from should be an advantage.. competition between schools would weed out the crud.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had heard some pretty poor reports about the Swiss Ski School at Saas Fee. However when we visited last March, our Kids (aged 10yrs and 6yrs) had a great time with them and improved significantly. My son who is a veteran of 5 ski holidays voted them them equal with Courcheval's/ la Tania's Magic in Motion and far better than the 2 ESF teachers he has had.

In march the resort was perfect, plenty of snow and warm enough to wear just a bonded fleece (even at the top)

my only reservation is that the pistes arent that extensive and you will have done all of the runs before the end of the week. Also for very timid intermediates the red below the middle station may be a challenge. But don't let that put you off

ps you can also have a great night out, just watch out for the "quiet" police after 11pm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is actually a 3rd ski school in Saas Fee now, as of last season (09/10). They are called Optimum Snowsports and they are a British school. All of their instructors are native English speakers and are all highly qualified (which is quite rare in Switzerland as legally you don't have to possess an instructor qualification to teach at all!!) and experienced.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My brother used Eskimos a couple of years back, he had a couple of good days, and 3 pretty poor ones- lots of painful repetition when he was clearly doing much better than the rest of the group. Otherwise heard only pretty good reports! Maybe he just didn't complain enough Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy