Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what ski - bewildering choice ??

Poster: A snowHead
hi

i'm an improving, intermediate 2 or 3 times a year skier looking to buy my first pair of skis (yahoo !)

i'm looking for something with slalom type geometry (90%+ of what i do will be one pistes of variable quality - often cruddy or icy) and the european resorts i go to are often very crowded, so quick turns are more important than speed !

also i'd like a fairly forgiving ski (don't want the kids seeing me face plant too often rolling eyes ) and preferably something light

the problem for me is that the chances of getting to try anything out beforehand are minimal - so i'll have to get one on spec and hope it works for me

all and any advice/pointers/suggestions very welcome

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although I'm not sure what an improving intermediate is wink I'd have a look at these if I were you.

They're not marketed hard and are underated by most, so tend to be good value. Good slalom type carvers.

If you live in Gods own county, you can borrow a pair from Slide 'n Glide in Otley and try them at Castleford Xscape.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mmmm. That link was meant to point to the iPerform <snigger> 2.2 btw.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
babysnake, Have you skied anything that pops into your mind as being a preferred ski?

The manufacturers have different properties and technology throughout their lines.
For instance Volkl is known for having a lot of energy, Pop, and great edge hold
Rossingnal is known for being damp and hard driving
Elan is known for stability and cruising, yet have some lines that are more radical.
Nordica is known for energy and stability.
you get the idea?

You can help by giving us some of your stats, like height and weight, as well as skis that you've liked in the past.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend the Nordica Nitrous. Its a ski that is great for an aggressive skier who wants to take on the trees and groomers, yet is forgiving enough for an intermediate to make a few mistakes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the chances of getting to try anything out beforehand are minimal

If you are going skiing you should be able to rent-before-you-buy from the local ski hire shops in resort. You then usually get the hire cost back if you purchase a pair from them. Use snowHead snowHead to help draw up a short-list of suitable models then seek them out, try them out, then buy the ones you like best.

Sorry, can't help with any suggestions of my own, as I don't use the kind of models that would suit you. Have a look out for Fall Line ski magazine which usually includes a gear guide.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
babysnake wrote:
hi
the problem for me is that the chances of getting to try anything out beforehand are minimal - so i'll have to get one on spec and hope it works for me
thanks

There are benefits in not having your own skis. No transport worries. No maintenance worries.

You can try lots of skis in the resorts, specially at places with test centres. That at least gives you the satisfaction of knowing what the options are. Just make a short list and see what you can have a go on. Ski tests in the magazines will give you clues as to what suits you. 'Fall Line' and 'Ski & Board' used to be quite reasonable, or just look in the catalogues - Snow & Rock or Ellis Brigham.

If you wait till the end of the season you will have had the opportunity to try lots of skis and you may get what you want at sale prices instead of paying top dollar.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
babysnake, Firstly welcome to snowHead , enjoy the journey !

It's already been mentioned, but do try and test before you buy. Your weight would help those who know better than I about matching skis ... how many weeks skiing have you done ?

There are a couple of us here ( although at least 2 are old and decrepit wink) who would suggest the Fischer RX-8 fits your bill. Someone has mentioned its been renamed this year ... which should mean you can get last year's model cheap-cheap.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rent premium or "test" skis (NOT from the generic pool, you'll have to pay a little more, but worth it)..test..try a few..change every other day.

One pair will just feel right...then you need to find them for sale.

Often the rental place will credit your rental charge if you buy from them.

If you don't mind rental bindings (we actually prefer them for growing kids, swapping between friends) you might be able to negotiate a hefty discount if you offer to buy the test pair.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for all the help Smile

i've done about 6 weeks now spread over 3 seasons in europe

reds are fine and ditto blacks if not too narrow or icy !

i've no interest in moguls or parks (or much of off piste at the moment) - although i do harbour a secret dark desire to ski switch, but not just yet wink

i'm about 1.75m and 90kg or so, the wrong side of 40

the skis i used that i liked most were a pair of Head Supershape Magnums - the new green ones ! - (160cm i think) i tried them in Hintertux, Austria last May

they were really nice and light, very grippy and incredibly easy to edge - loved them Smile Smile

however, they're a bit expensive (give or take £500) for someone who only skis a couple of weeks a year

i've also used a pair of volkl ractetigers at my local dry slope - i like them too but they're quite heavy and require more effort on my part to make them work well (that makes me sound like a lazy slob, doesn't it Blush )

i suppose if i could find something similar to the Head's a bit cheaper i'd be happy !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm one of the fischer RX8 users. great piste ski. I also have fischer AMC 79 for all ountain use which are also pretty easy to use. I'm 37 95kg 6ft 3 and have skied 14 weeks. I rate the ski and it has a slalom geometry but is fairly forgiving I ski it in 175 length and really enjoy. They meet your description of the head super share. Picked up mine 2 seasons ago for 240 euros plus P&p from ski bilek. They retail for nearly £500 at ellis brigham. sure there are others, look at teh elan offers in buy sell and exchange
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
babysnake, dan100, is not one of the fat , aged gits Little Angel

I'm 1.80, 85kgs ( occasionally) and will never see 50 again ... about the same experience ( maybe less) as you over a similar timeframe.

REPEAT - Try before you buy, but RX-8 should be high on your test list ....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
babysnake, If you liked the Head Supershape Magnums, then you're on the right track to add skis like the Fischer RX8 to your demo list. A few others to add to that list would be 07-Nordica Speedmachine 14, and 08-Elan Speedwave 10 or 12.

I'm not surprised that you weren't impressed with the Race tiger. I honestly love mine, but I am also aware that I have to stay on top of them or they throw me on my butt. I don't find them to be heavy but extremely technical!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MM, nice recommendation on the iPerforms, do you still have the old green/yellow/bluered ones?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
babysnake, dan100, is not one of the fat , aged gits Little Angel

I'm 1.80, 85kgs ( occasionally) and will never see 50 again ... about the same experience ( maybe less) as you over a similar timeframe.

REPEAT - Try before you buy, but RX-8 should be high on your test list ....

Very kind wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
great advice all round - thanks very much

i must, must try to be disciplined and work through the list - rx8, speedwaves, nordicas and dynamics etc - and then take it from there

i think i'll just accept that next hols i'll take the list with me and schlepp round all the various hire shops until i can tick off as many as possible and only then take the plunge. might take an entire holiday but at least that way i'll know what i'm about

thanks again

i think i too remember 80 kgs !!!!!!! wink
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
MM, nice recommendation on the iPerforms, do you still have the old green/yellow/bluered ones?

More the earlier bright yellow(ish) mess, tres gaudy

snow conditions
Hey, that looks better than my two pairs of green ones with SX614 scarabs/bottleflies on them. How are you making out with the Mg sidewalls, have you skyved them yet?
latest report
comprex, haven't bothered touching the sidewalls. Actually I haven't got a sidewall planer Embarassed

I just put up with a little gunk on my stones.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy