Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get to La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about a week in La Plagne next year. I did it as part of a package a couple of years ago and loved it.
I am now thinking of doing my own package, but am wondering about opinions as to the best ideas on how to get there.
I am from Newcastle and was thinking of flying easy jet to Geneva. Is there a train station at this airport which would take me to Bourg St Maurice for a taxi to La Plagne.
Would love to hear about best ways to do this independantl.
I suppose I am most of all interested in which airport is easiest and cheapest for transfers to La Plagne.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lynne123, there is no convenient train route from Geneva to La Plagne. It is possible by train, by takes hours and involves several train changes. The two sensible options from Geneva are car hire or scheduled bus transfer (taxi is way too expensive). If there are three or four of you in your party car hire will probably work out the cheapest option, if just one or two you could look at coach transfer with someone like http://www.alpski-bus.com/

Other airports you could look at are Lyon (about the same travelling time as Geneva) and Chambery (which is the closest). If you do fly to Chambery you can take a taxi from the airport for a short ride across town to the train station and catch a train from there to Bourg St Maurice.

If your budget can stretch to it I'd say that car hire is the least hassle, and probably the best bet if you have more than two people in your party. The drive from Geneva or Lyon is very easy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynne123, ... in addition to rob@rar's info. If you do decide to fly to Geneva, Lyon or Grenoble, all have a reasonable bus service to Bourg St. Maurice, or AIME (When arriving via Lyon or Grenoble )

Lyon Satobus-Alpes

Grenoble AgBus

Geneva Altibus

Happy days ...... snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynne123 wrote:
I am thinking about a week in La Plagne next year. I did it as part of a package a couple of years ago and loved it.
I am now thinking of doing my own package, but am wondering about opinions as to the best ideas on how to get there.
I am from Newcastle and was thinking of flying easy jet to Geneva. Is there a train station at this airport which would take me to Bourg St Maurice for a taxi to La Plagne.
Would love to hear about best ways to do this independantl.
I suppose I am most of all interested in which airport is easiest and cheapest for transfers to La Plagne.

if it's just you then get an earlyish flight on a transfer day and then go and chat up the reps...and you might well be able to get a 'lift' on the bus in exchange for a few cold ones in the station...

I would look at chambery, lyon if you can get there first as transfers would be easier..IIRC a mate drove from Geneva to LP on a saturday a few seasons ago and took 5 hours...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

IIRC a mate drove from Geneva to LP on a saturday a few seasons ago and took 5 hours

Shocked Normal journey time (including the enforced leisurely drive along the lake) is around the two hour 30 or 40 mark, BUT at peak transfer time on a Saturday I have heard stories of more than 5 hours Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The easiest and quickest is into Chambery mid week and then only a 1 1/2 hour transfer up to La Plagne as long as we do not have one of our regular dumps in progress wink It can easily take 5 hours from Geneva on a sat-I had a friend 2 years ago half term and snowing 10 HOURS Lyon to Les Arcs........................... Skullie
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy