Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chain advice, please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to be driving to Switzerland in my own car this Xmas, rather than flying & hiring a car.

Therefore I need to buy some snowchains.

I know nothing about them whatsoever, but I'm sure there must be a snowhead or two out there who does!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We bought the cheapest we could find off ebay, they were about £18-£20 for our family hatchback if I remember. We haven't used them in anger, but have a dry run before we go each year just to remember how to fit them. We also pack a pair or two of warm flexible waterproof gloves and a waterproof mat to kneel on in case we need to fit them in filthy weather.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do a search on snow chains and winter tyres.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One piece of advice practice, practice, practice mine were a bit of a pain to fit..outside my house on a flat road in the light..I would not have fancied doing it got the first time when it in the cold when it was snowing...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssnowman, There is loads on here, do what DB, said Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ssnowman, Snow chains are useless in the UK. Make sure you leave them in Switzerland.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssnowman, .... I also seem to remember several snowHeads snowHead having 'pre-owned' snow chains for sale, in various sizes.

It may be worthwhile stating your tyre sizes here in anticipation of a bargain ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssnowman, Don't forget you will also need a set of winter tyres for Switzerland too. We bought a spare set of wheels and keep the winter tyres on them that way its not as difficult to make the change each year, and I think the tyres keep better on the rims too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
ssnowman, Don't forget you will also need a set of winter tyres for Switzerland too.

Need? I think having winter tyres is certainly desirable, but are they legally required for Switzerland?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssnowman,

Info on driving in cuckcoo land.

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/countries/switzerland/snow_ice.asp

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/countries/switzerland/driving.asp

Road Safety from the British Embassy in Bern

Quote:

All road users should follow instructions given by local police and officials on the main alpine transit routes, at bottlenecks and areas of heavy traffic congestion. A warning triangle is compulsory and must be kept within easy reach (not in the boot). Radar detectors are prohibited in Switzerland whether in use or not. The limit for alcohol in the bloodstream is 0.05% and police may request any driver to undergo a breath test or drugs test. Swiss traffic regulations are strenuously enforced. Any serious breach of the regulations can result in heavy fines and/or imprisonment.

To travel on Swiss motorways, road users must purchase and display a vignette or face large on the spot fines. Vignettes can be purchased at most border crossings, petrol stations, Swiss post offices, by phone (on 00800 10020030) and online (at http://swisstravelsystem.com). The price of a vignette is currently CHF 40 (£16- June 07)

Alpine winters often make driving more difficult. You should equip your car with winter tyres and snow-chains, and check road conditions prior to departure. The Swiss motoring organisation, TCS, has up-to-date information on its website: http://www.tcs.ch (GER/FR/IT only).
A valid UK, or other EU/EEA, driving licence is sufficient for driving in Switzerland and Liechtenstein. There is no need for an International Driving Permit. Drivers can find up-to-date information about road closures at: http://www.tcs.ch. Information about rails services is available at: http://mct.sbb.ch/.

Further advice on driving outside the UK can be obtained from motoring organisations such as the AA and RAC.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1085326316242
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It was our understanding that you shouldn't go up a mountain in Switzerland without winter tyres. Due to the chaos you can cause if you get stuck. In fact I'm sure we've been checked in the resort carpark.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssnowman, I use Weissenfells from: http://www.snowchains.co.uk If you change your car they'll exchange them also. The ones i went for were the 'Clack n' Go' ones, east to fit and self tensioning, so you don't have to stop and retighten them. I take latex disposable glove to put them on as it's a filthy job. Oh yes and take a torch. Practice putting them on before you go. I don't bother with Winter tyres, although it's a very good idea, primarily because it's a £1000+ for a set for the car. I'd rather kill the chains sooner.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have been very pleased with the winter tyres, they make a huge difference to the grip of the car if its in any way icy, let alone snowy, we've driven over surfaces on them as we get to the snow line on our mountain that we wouldn't have stood a chance of driving over with standard tyres. The compound cuts into the ice better and the large tracks seem to shed the snow easier. Last year we put them on around the end of November and used them for the winter here - brilliant on frosty mornings, and a huge confidence giver if you watch 2" of snow fall outside the office whilst you work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I know hire cars are require dot have them, but I didin't think it was law. eng_ch's other half will know as he works in insurance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssnowman, I have some chains, fitted a previous car (Toyota Carina). Offered with free "how to do it" lesson. However, I live on the South Coast of England) and am currently in the South of France.... back in November.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
they make a huge difference to the grip of the car if its in any way icy, let alone snowy,

I agree that winter tyres are much better for traction (I have a set), I was just wondering whether they were required by law in Switzerland, or simply advised as a good thing to have?
ski holidays
ssnowman, post your tyre sizes please, you never know someone may have some in their shed that would suit you. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar, Don't know if its a law thing or not, but think I'd encourage folks to have them whatever we find out.
ski holidays
If you have a rear wheel drive car get 2 pairs or a different car. My Mercedes was hopeless with chains on the back only.
snow report
Thanks for the replies folks.

Whilst I've driven in the Alps many times, I've always managed not to have to use snowchains

I will be driving a 4WD, I'm not sure of the tyre size (but IIRC the wheels are 17") as I'm changing cars in the next week or so. I won't be buying winter tyres as the majority of times I'll be flying to Switzerland. It's just as this will be the first trip to our apartment, we will be bringing quite a lot of stuff with us.
ski holidays
Does having a 4WD compensate in anyway for not having winter tyres?
ski holidays
ssnowman, NO!
snow report
Personally I'd keep a head torch so your hands are free and some old gardening or ski gloves, latex ones are fine but you'll get pretty cold. I'd probably take a tow rope too. You've done well not to have had to put chains on so far, friends of mine got caught last year, no chains other than the dearest ones on the planet left in the shop, one chain broke on the way up, car abandoned on the mountain road as it could'nt make it up to the house, children and luggage ferried up in a second car , car then covered by snowploughs deposits over night and took hours to dig out in the morning Very Happy
ski holidays
Winter tyres are not actually a legal requirement here but they are a de facto one insofar as if you have an accident in the winter and don't have them, the insurance will automatically hold you to be at fault, irrespective of the circumstances. And that's not an argument I'd like to sort out between a Swiss and UK insurer Wink

The chains we got for our 4x4 in March (coz the old ones didn't fit bah - heavy duty chains for 18" wheels for sale lol) are smashing and a piece of p*** to fit, but I forget the make now. Will have to look it up
ski holidays
With a 4x4 do you need chains on all 4 wheels?
snow report
johnnyh, it's ideal but cost makes it impractical. The owner's manual should tell you which wheels they should go on if you only put them on 2
latest report
Sounds like the law is similar in Switzerland & Austria. (You would have the same insurnace/legal implications).
France isn't covered with mountains, Switzerland and Austria are - this probably identifys why there is a difference.

Driving to a ski resort sounds all very well and good but once you work out the costs of what's really needed to do the job properly it isn't so attractive. Your much greater stopping distances with summer tyres also put other people at risk - Live and let live.

It amazes me how many people will spend thousands more on a 4X4 that they don't really need but then try and save a few quid on a set of winter wheels & tyres.
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
The chains we got for our 4x4 in March (coz the old ones didn't fit bah - heavy duty chains for 18" wheels for sale lol) are smashing and a piece of p*** to fit, but I forget the make now. Will have to look it up

FYI I just found the make of the chains we got - Maggi Trak. Ease of fitting was an absolute pre-requisite for us
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch wrote:
FYI I just found the make of the chains we got - Maggi Trak.

I'll bet they're very noisy to use wink
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Shocked Evil or Very Mad Laughing
latest report
Toofy Grin
snow report
FenlandSkier, Wink If we need them on a 4x4 then we won't be worrying about the noise! We'd even put up with an air guitar Wink NehNeh Laughing
snow report
Quote:
Therefore I need to buy some snowchains.

Not necessarily. You can also rent them. We got some for a rented van, from Filarinski in Havant, on the basis that we'd only pay a proportion of the cost unless we had to use them. We were fairly confident we wouldn't have to, it was only mid December..... but no, we needed them just to get the van up the last mile or so. Luckily we had plenty of time to get the damn things on, because the entire road was blocked for over half an hour because a breakdown truck was parked obliquely across the road, to get a good angle on the winch to recover a car which had shot off the road into the forest (without snow chains....). It wasn't a lot of snow, and it wasn't a very steep hill, by any means, but there was no way we would have got up to our new apartment without the chains. Carrying the Ikea flatpacks along the side of the road would have been no fun.

These days I am good at chains. I don't use rubber gloves - they make the job more difficult. I aim to do it very fast, with bare hands, and get back into the car before my fingers freeze. But I practice, without fail, every year before driving down to the Alps and always have a small kids shovel to free the area round the wheel, and a chunk of expanded polystyrene to kneel on. I don't have a head torch but I think I will get one and add it to my emergency kit; sounds a good idea.
latest report
johnnyh, I've had a 4x4 for the past seven seasons and have never needed to put chains on any of the wheels. This was the whole point of buying the car. (It's a Daihatsu Sportrak with m&s tyres.)
ski holidays
If your quick there is a set of spikes spyders on e bay at the mo for next to nothing!
(and no, they are not mine!) Bear in mind they cost about £150+ new!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPIKE-SPIDER-CAR-SNOW-CHAINS_W0QQitemZ150169349466QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14771QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
snow report
I have a big toyota 4x4 and am off to les arcs at xmas, im gonna get some snow chains but i have 31" All Terrain tyres that dont stop on any ground, surely they will do the trick on snow over any chelsea tractors?
ski holidays
surfstar, We made it up the hill to Plan Peisey last year in the dark & in a blizzard in a volvo xc70 with all terrain tyres. At every bend we came across people struggling with chains, & we kept thinking we'd have to stop & put our chains on at the next one, but we made it with no problem. Husband was driving in winter mode & a very low gear - I'd have cracked at the chainage area at the bottom of the hill Toofy Grin
snow report
4x4 does not stop you sliding on ice, no matter what tyres you've got, unless they have Studs or Chains to help traction. In fact a heavy 4x4 can be worse as it has a greater inertia.

surfstar, You want to come out with me, I'll get you stuck. Toofy Grin

A 4x4 will get you further than a 2wd, but it will also get you further into trouble, likewise M+S or Snow Tyres will get you further than Summer Tyres, but nothing is as good as Snow Chains. I bet a 2wd car with summer tyres and chains would get further up a snowy icy road than a 4x4 with winter tyres.
It's a legal requirement to carry Chains in France on Alpine roads in Winter.

geri, I'd rather go up hill than down hill without chains any day.
ski holidays
....and to add to Spyderman,'s assurances above, once a 4x4 starts sliding across the road only the ditch snow bank or parked cars will stop it! Embarassed
The snow bank was quite soft and I wasn't going that fast because of the ice Sad
snow report
What is the difference between all season tyres and winter tyres? Apparently video shows the difference. http://uk.youtube.com/v/AlImS-dLgDA
surfstar, surely as well as being able to go you'd like to be able to stop and steer? I'm not sure that having four driven wheels will help as much as chains with the stopping and steering.
Edit: also I've noticed what the local do. Most don't have "off-roaders" but cars. I've also seen tractors with chains or studs.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy