Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton or Lech??

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings Snow Fans,
I am just about to book my 2008 trip and am facing a slight dilema. I have heard many good things about both St Anton and Lech and cant decide between them. My wife and I are both 35 years old and would be considered low level intermediates. We have heard that St Anton is the mecca of skiing but is also a bit noisy, over-crowded and that the slopes get busy and sometimes slushy in the afternoon. I have heard Lech is lovely but maybe slightly small and sedate with less slope variety. We aren't big drinkers and are light sleepers but aren't quite ready for the nursing home just yet!!
Any advice or reviews would be greatly appreicated.
Barry O'S.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads. You definitely sound like one of us! I am unable to help you about St Anton, as I have never been there, but I think you might want to worry a bit about your username. I suspect you will find you will become a SPAM magnet.

snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would avoid St Anton. the skiing isn't targetted at low level intermediates. Its steep and there aren't that many slopes for gentle crusing or crusing generally.. Lech is suitable. Didn't stay in lech but it is expensive and upmarket. I think there are lot of other places in switzerland and Austria that might be more suitable unless budget is not a problem. If you have plenty of cash Lech is reasonably charming and swish. Slopes in LOech were very slushy this March. I think there are stacks of places in switzerland austria and france that could float your boat
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech is the best resort in Austria.

It is upscale, but not ruinous. It has access to some of the best slopes on the entire planet. They get good snow, and lots of it, from Dec to Apr. You can easily catch a bus to the excellent St Anton ski area.

Avoid sleeping in St Anton. It is downmarket. It sucks.

Stay in Lech. Ski in Lech and St Anton.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHead 's I have been to both several times and from what you have said I think Lech is the choice. The snow is usually better it's quieter on and off the slopes though there is plenty of apres ski. Lech still has a good variety of slope and it certainly is not all gentle stuff. They share the same lift pass and it is much easier to ski St Antons skiing from Lech than visa versa. There is relatively little lower intermediate stuff in St Anton.

I have not found Lech particularly pricey, a bit above the Austrian norm but cheaper than a lot of places in France if you go for the more modest hotels and guest houses. (You can certainly do swish and pricey if you want though)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fibarjoseph@hotmail.com, I would recommend Lech as well. We stay regularly in the Arlberg Hotel - wonderful food and service and very comfortable. You can ski the white ring - which takes in Zurs as well. There is usually a couple of open air bars in operation in town - it's nice to sit and watch the late skiers coming down the slopes. The ski instruction in Lech is second to none. I can thoroughly recommend ski school - 4hrs/day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am thinking about a trip to Austria as well (never been before). It would be my son (19 and a student) and I. He will come with me as I am paying (I have few illusions that he would rather be with his mates) !! His Uni holidays are early so we would go the week before Easter. How would Lech or St Anton suit for that (Austria is particularly good for flights and transfer times so it is our prime choice, flying into Innsbruck)

If not Lech/St Anton, where?

In US/Canada terms (where we have skied a lot) we are black diamond/the occasional double black (in good conditions) skiers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fibarjoseph@hotmail.com, It has to be Lech - I have been there many times. It is really civilised, very flattering slopes, excellent restaurants on the mountain particularly at Oberlech which is one of the nicest places to stay. Check out the hotels there. I would favour them to the ones in town. You can ski to Zurs and get the bus to St Anton for a day and you just have to go to St Christoph and have lunch in the Hospitz Alm. Ask them to show you their wine cellar - it is very famous.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
malcolm1, What a great Daddy! With a 19 year old son it probably has to be St Anton - challenging skiing and nightlife requiring major stamina! If you value your sleep make sure you stay well away from the main street - even double glazing makes no difference. You can ski Lech and Zurs on the Arlberg liftpass and it is a great day out. Enjoy the many bars on the way home to St Anton and have lunch at the Hospitz Alm at St Christoph and enjoy the slide to the loo.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:

It is upscale, but not ruinous. It has access to some of the best slopes on the entire planet. They get good snow, and lots of it, from Dec to Apr. You can easily catch a bus to the excellent St Anton ski area.

Enjoy.

I'll second that. We didn't find Lech that expensive. You can spend big money, but there was lots of places to eat that were pretty reasonable. Great snow and slopes amd easy access to the St Anton.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skilegs wrote:
fibarjoseph@hotmail.com, It has to be Lech - I have been there many times. It is really civilised, very flattering slopes, excellent restaurants on the mountain particularly at Oberlech which is one of the nicest places to stay. Check out the hotels there. I would favour them to the ones in town. You can ski to Zurs and get the bus to St Anton for a day and you just have to go to St Christoph and have lunch in the Hospitz Alm. Ask them to show you their wine cellar - it is very famous.

I also would go with Lech - some of the cruisy blues around oberlech are fab for what you're looking for and it will tick most of the rest of the boxes on the list. In Lech stop for lunch / gluhwein at the restataurant on 34a home - great spot good food and interesting outfits for the bar staff. The 'pissoirs' are pretty good too IIRC. If you want to stretch yourselves then you'll enjoy the 'white circle' which is a circular tour around lech and zurs which provided you're happy with "itineraires" should be fun.

As for lunch in the Hopsiz Alm, sure but I'd rather have another weeks skiing and eat somewhere else Laughing

for the same reasons I'd suggest to Macolm1 to head to St. Anton and still hope there is a good smattering of snow on the rendl side, but remember the transceiver for off-piste - we don't have the same kind of patrolled off-piste as you have... for the lad he'll enjoy the Moosenwirt, the KK, the funky chicken and much much later the kandahar..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with most here, except for Whitegold's opinion that St Anton sucks, but hey that is his opinion.

St Anton does not offer much in the low-end intermediate category, but there are exceptions - Zammermoos, before the crowds get on it, the trip down from Vallugagrat to Stuben, the Stuben slopes themselves, Schongraben, and probably more. There are also quiet places to stay, like Nasserein. All that said, you do sound more like Lech people.

The White Ring, especially the section between Madloch and Zug is a beautifu ski tour. Get there before (say) 10:00am and you will pretty much have it to yourselves. Later in the day it can get hectic and a bit chopped up. This is actually true of a lot of Lech and Zurs - they are not early risers and do like to lunch - so, the first 1 or 2 hours, and 12pm onwards are relatively queue-free.

Another really great blast is Zurser Tali, but if you are low-end intermediate, then only do it first thing. The headwall is steep, and gets very chopped up later in day. At the start of the day, the headwall is wide, smooth, and the snow is usually in great condition because it is in the shade. Once off the headwall, you have a long, quite beautiful trip back to Zurs. The main thing to know is that once you get to the start of the headwall, there is no real going back!

If you are only going for a week, then possibly Lech and Zurs will offer enough variety. Any longer, and you might want to try St Anton. You can either get the Post Bus, about EUR7 return, which takes you right into St Anton (West Terminal) or one of the free blue buses that run between Lech, Zurs and Alpe Rauz. The latter can get very packed and Austrians do not mind pushing to ensure they get on.

Hope you have fun!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 3-10-07 23:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All this chat about St Anton being no good for low intermediates is boosting my confidence no end, as I thought of myself as a low to middle intermediate, not likely to push myself (except the occasional mad dash down Mayrhofen's Hari Kiri) but I found St Anton to be great fun last year. My wife is definitely a timid intermediate, and even she ended the week ski-ing Fang (albeit I lied and told her it was a red).

Malcolm1 definitely St Anton, much livlier (although not as bad as people make out, or maybe, being used to Sauze D'Oulx I'm more tolerant). I'm in my mid 40's and thought St Anton had the right mix of party atmosphere and decent food I was looking for (restricted only by the company of 2 young children). I'm going back with my mates for 4 days in January without family as I liked it so much.

Mayrhofen would be a good alternative to either Lech or St Anton, nice village, not noisy if you don't stay on High Street, lots of good bars and a couple of clubs, good restaurants and the skiing's not bad either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gortonator wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Enjoy.

I'll second that. We didn't find Lech that expensive. You can spend big money, but there was lots of places to eat that were pretty reasonable. Great snow and slopes amd easy access to the St Anton.

To e fair I had one of the best value meals I've had in alps in restaurant above Lech. very busy though. good restaurants in st anton. even these supposed upmarket austrian resorts better value that majority of french alps in terms of mountain food and restaurants

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 3-10-07 11:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ghost Dog wrote:
All this chat about St Anton being no good for low intermediates is boosting my confidence no end, as I thought of myself as a low to middle intermediate, not likely to push myself (except the occasional mad dash down Mayrhofen's Hari Kiri) but I found St Anton to be great fun last year. My wife is definitely a timid intermediate, and even she ended the week ski-ing Fang (albeit I lied and told her it was a red).

Malcolm1 definitely St Anton, much livlier (although not as bad as people make out, or maybe, being used to Sauze D'Oulx I'm more tolerant). I'm in my mid 40's and thought St Anton had the right mix of party atmosphere and decent food I was looking for (restricted only by the company of 2 young children). I'm going back with my mates for 4 days in January without family as I liked it so much.

Mayrhofen would be a good alternative to either Lech or St Anton, nice village, not noisy if you don't stay on High Street, lots of good bars and a couple of clubs, good restaurants and the skiing's not bad either.

Tehre are nice restaurants in st anton. you don't have to do rowdy. The main challenge of st anton is not so much the pistes but the inteniaries and off piste. there aren't that many actual blacks as many of the true blacks seem to have been labelled iteniaries as they are not pisted so become long bump fileds when no fresh snow.
latest report
To me Lech is part of St Anton but the two not not linked. Access is via ski bus though I never use it because I drove.

If the word "low level intermediates" is accurate then I would avoid both resorts and choose something like Saalbach/Hinterglemm. At Anton/Lech do have suitable areas for the intermediates but it is more famous for their challemging areas, especially on non-groomed piste route. There is a famous "White Ring" and so if a skier is comfortable with it then he/she can enjoy St. Anton/Lech a lot more.
ski holidays
St Anton is just about the best resort I have been to Very Happy plenty of varied slopes
ski holidays
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Went to St Anton some years ago and hated it. Poor snow (this was January), long waits for the lifts, overpriced, lousy hotels, and noisy and overcrowded back then. Probably worse now. Don't know about Lech, as now go to the Pyrenees instead. Little Angel
snow report
CB

That is why people take a bus to Lech! unless you are good enough to go off piste to get there from the top of Valluga II station.

Your comment would have been fair if you have done the "White Ring" covering Zurs and Lech which are also part of the Arlberg domain.

I probably consider my experience staying at La Tania or Coucheval 1650 not representative of the 3 Vallees unless I have skied to the far end or Orelle of Val Thoren.

Lech is one of the most exquisite skiing areas, featured among the most expensive skiing resorts by Forbes, favoured by the skiers with deep pockets. It is hardy a match for anything in Pyrenees, I would have thought.
ski holidays
Another thing i would add about St. Anton is that I would think hard about what type of skiing you're likely to be doing. St. Anton is not renowned for for its on-piste skiing and while its by no means bad, i imagine there are better places to ski if you like to stick to the runs. If you're into off-piste its probably one of the best places to go in Austria.
snow conditions
If you wear a polo neck shirt, drink pims, only ski on the piste, have a fur lined leopard skin ski jacket and talk like Stephen Fry that it has to be Lech.

Real skiers go to St Anton.

Seriously.
As you are sticking to the piste then St Anton over Lech but somehwere like Obergurgl or Saalbach might be better for your level of skiing. Some people's skiing doesn't get further than avoiding the big resorts by using the decor in the resort as an excuse but you can always go to St Anton when your skiing level has improved later.
snow report
Many folks ski the pistes of St Anton mainly because they can not or do not know how to ski any other way.

For the Off=Piste community the pistes are generally just a means of getting to the off-piste & then getting out at the end Very Happy

I spend alot of time in Zurs & Lech, the sking is fantastic both on & off . Whatever folk say about prices they are generally the same as St Anton & the restaurants on the slopes superior. You can get a good quality meal in Lech & Zurs for the same price as a burger & frys in St Anton.

If you cherish your sleep avoid downtown ( DorfStrasse) hotels in St Anton but its not as bad as Ischgl or Solden for loud drunken behaviour.
snow report
DB wrote:

Real Skiers do not go to Ski Resorts Very Happy
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
DB wrote:

Ah yes I forgot, they go to Holland because it's far better there. Wink
latest report
There a couple of indoor ski domes in Holland that may be loosely classified as resorts. They do serve drinks there.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:
DB wrote:

Ah yes I forgot, they go to Holland because it's far better there. Wink

Everything is better here, I thought everyone had agreed with me on that, when you get to Nirvana your know Very Happy
snow conditions
Guess I'll stick to the Pyrenees and Canada (when I have more time). Better skiing on or off piste, without any of the revolting snobbery and stupid prices. Better services and value all round.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I spoke for St Anton/Lech/Zurs because I think the word "lousy hotels" is inappropriate from my own experience.

Regardless of what people think I find the bubble cover and heated chairlift seats of Arlberg domain hard to beat as not many resorts do them.
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone who contributed. I have just booked a week in February in Hotel Gotthard, Lech and am definitely looking forward to it. The whole place looks seriously cool. Hurray!
snow report
ok guys, now tell the truth and stop messing around Very Happy
ski holidays
You'll love Lech - it's a real Picture-Postcard resort and the runs directly over it a generally rather flattering Wink

As the clientelle are, on average, rather well-orf they don't need to make every minute in resort count by catching the first lift and skiing through lunch. They're quite happy to do breakfast/brunch and browse a few bigouteries before meeting friends for lunch on the hill somewhere. The result is a very high level of lift/piste maintenance compared to punters on the slopes.
Yes, there are serious skiers, of course but they represent a far smaller proportion of the total than a hero's resort like St Anton.

Oh yes and I have never experienced anywhere with a higher proportion of chairlifts equiped with heated seats Cool
ski holidays
admin,
Quote:

Yes, there are serious skiers, of course but they represent a far smaller proportion of the total than a hero's resort like St Anton.

I often see statements that St Anton attracts better skiers. To behonest on my visits I would say the general standard of skiing on the piste is significantly higher in Lech than St ANton. Its maybe because the serious skiers are all off doing something hairy assed somewhere, I'm not sure but as an average I would guess that Lech visitors ski at a higher level than St Anton visitors.
snow report
I think both St Anton and Lech are both pretty good. Last time I was there we stayed in St Anton but took the bus to Lech / Zurs a couple of times during the week. If we went again I think maybe we would do it the other way and stay in Lech. St Anton does have a reputation for difficult skiing and rowdy evenings - which is great if you are in the mood but I would think a nice cosy hotel in Lech with fine food and wine would be a worthy alternative.

I would say however that St Anton is the only place where I have encountered really nasty thuggish behaviour on the slopes in thirty years of skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy