Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ben's Bus ADH & LDA Transfers

Poster: A snowHead
I can definitely recommend Ben's Bus for transfers from Grenoble Airport to Alpe D'Huez and Les Deux Alpes. This year they are operating Sundays as well as Saturdays. Very reasonably priced at £35 return. I used them last Easter when I arrived on a late flight and the local bus service (which is very cheap but can be slow and the timetable is not very flexible) had finished. Very happy with them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, pity they are not running for psb,mondial
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, I was disappointed to find Ben wasn't a skibum based in either resort with a minibus - that would have been even more useful. If you're arriving at the weekend I think it works quite well. Price is reasonable too. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, He uses a local bus company but he is locally based I think, at least he gave me a french mobile number. All the guys organising the buses at the airport were a variety of English speaking (English, Irish and Antipodean from what I remember) skibums. Good luck to them it's a good service at a resonable price. Most places it would be a complete steal but there the local buses are just sooo cheap (but not always that convenient).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, the local buses are a little inconvenient, but good, cheap, reliable, and almost certainly with appropriately qualified drivers. Your talk of skibums makes me wonder if the same can be said for Ben.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, I've no complaints about the local buses 150 miles return for £15 is an absolute bargain. There are times though when you can arrive too late for the last one or perhaps want to get there quicker than the sometimes quirky connections allow. Bens Bus uses a Bourg D'Oisans bus company to supply the buses and drivers so no problems there. The guys checking passengers off etc are the skibum types. I used both last year with no problems and I'm sure will do so again although next year I'm driving so will use neither.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, OK, thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
last time I tried to use Bens Bus it seemed to only be internet booking in advance. Has this changed?? Personally I try to get an early arrival flight so that I have options to get to the resorts
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, As I understand it the guy saw an opening and organised something! Good on him. I don't think he lives permanently in the area though. You do have to book in advance 'cos he has to book the bus - he's just the middleman, but it works!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i wish i could organise this properly and sit down with easyjet and ryan air and neilson crystal etc
grenobles could easily service all french alps, yes it is not as convenient as geneva for resorts such as chamonix or avoriaz but still it is only 190 km to avoriaz in a cach that cannot be longer than 4 hours
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
plectrum wrote:
i wish i could organise this properly and sit down with easyjet and ryan air and neilson crystal etc
grenobles could easily service all french alps, yes it is not as convenient as geneva for resorts such as chamonix or avoriaz but still it is only 190 km to avoriaz in a coach that cannot be longer than 4 hours
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
plectrum, I struggle to understand why a daily service to atleast ADH and LDA is not available at some time during the day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, Well - it is - it's called the VFD! rolling eyes It just doesn't go directly. As yet, not enough people are flying in the week at the same time to make it worthwhile. I actually think that on the whole the local buses do a good job. Little Tiger was told at the bus station, that if you speak to the driver of the airport bus he can ring into the bus station and they will hold the bus up the valley for you if it's not much time difference. Hers was 10 mins too late for the connection.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I meant direct service from the airport, the current local bus does a good job, yes, but I amazed that a more regular service (private or public) that heads straight to the mountains has not been set up, it always seems such a shame (depending on flight times) to get in to Grenoble to have to sit around for an hour or two waiting for a connecting bus to the mountains, especially as the Osians region is so specific to Grenoble airport. Just an observation not a criticism Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops,

There is a good business opportunity btu it needs alot of coordination with Easy Jet / Ryan Air and the various package holiday companies. It doesn't really matter if the coach journey is 4-5 hours as no one ski's first day anyway so as long as you cna get people into the resort by tea time then everyone is happy

I think you need 4/5 bus routes that spread out and hit all the french major resorts. I think you need about 2 or 3 buses for each route
snow conditions
I have a booking for my apartment wanting transfers to Serre Chevalier from Grenoble, a bus from the airport would be a great idea.
ski holidays
plectrum wrote:
rayscoops....... It doesn't really matter if the coach journey is 4-5 hours ....

I loathe long transfers. I go to Grenoble because it reduces them when I go to LDA.

Quote:
.....as no one ski's first day anyway.......

I have done so, and will do again whenever I sensibly can. It's one of the reasons I bought my own skis.
ski holidays
I loathe them too, one of the reasons we hire a car.
ski holidays
achilles,

When I say no-one I mean in the majority. I also now try to ski first day and last day also. I again understand your erk visa Transfer times but in all seriousness many resorts when combining with cheap flight prices end up taking plenty of time in transfers.

Last year we Zurich'd to St Anton, which was easy but still around 3 hours + flight. The year before Zurich to Klosters again which was certainly a few hours on the train. Saying all this Swiss trains are cool, fast and quiet.
snow report
doesn't Lyon have direct buses to resorts?
Flying to Grenoble saves you about 20-30mins driving (assuming clear roads) so maybe there isn't that much benefit if you're relying on public transport
ski holidays
Arno, never flown to Lyon but if they have i would prefer that, when you say resorts does that include Osian resorts??

forgot to mention the 'local' service to LDA is 10.50 Euros one way, cheap as chips
ski holidays
rayscoops, check this out:

http://satobus-alpes.altibus.com/index.htm
snow report
Arno, not bad Euro 43 return Lyon - L2A,
snow report
Lyon have transfers to Serre Chevalier too, good to know for future guests.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, seriousl sounds as if Lyon may be the preferential airport for Osians and heading to Serre Cevalier too
snow conditions
rayscoops, apart from Turin being closest for Serre Che, and I don't think there is a direct coach transfer from there either. Need to update the website i think. Not so many flights to Lyon though.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, have you ever tried marseille for serre che? you can do a day trip to briancon by train from st charles station - was just wondering whether it made sense for further up the valley
latest report
Arno, no, as we don't have any flights to Marseille. As it is only 20 minutes further to Monetier, it would be OK. there's a shuttle bus from Marseille airport on Saturdays in winter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, I think it is not so much the closeness of the airport but the overall ease of flight and transfer combined, and the direct transfer makes all the difference for me and in my mind flying to Lyon now brings Serre Chev a little closer/easier to get to
ski holidays
from experience as i do transfers.

do not fly to grenoble or lyon to go to serre che unless you are prepared to have a 13 hour transfer if the cols are closed.

I know i've done one.
ski holidays
Arno, Satobus only runs in season. It's only a local bus at the end of the day - it's not direct as we know it - Fine - works OK, but Ben's is more convenient from Grn I think.
latest report
snowangel., Turin is by far the better option, but we don't all have the luxury of choice.
ski holidays
easiski, if only the flights to GNB fitted with my schedule Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hello, I am the eponymous Ben's Bus, as mentioned above. We now run transfers from Grenoble Airport to LDA and ADH every day of the week, so easy peasy now. £39.90 for Saturdays but surcharges apply on days other than Saturdays. Early bookers get early bookers discounts! GNB deifnately best airport for LDA and ADH but Turin is better for Serre Che because the pass between Grenoble And Briancon is often closed in winter. If you're in a big group and need our service, send me an email ben@bensbus.co.uk and I'll sort out a special snowheads discount. Little Angel
snow report
A shame you can't do a bus from Turin then. As we drive to Serre Che I cross the Lauteret about 6 times each winter, in 3 winters we have perhaps been lucky, but have only used the Frejus tunnel twice.
ski holidays
Welcome to SH Ben! Any suggestions for linking up if travelling by train? I am getting fed up with airports but haven't yet investigated the practicalities of rail
snow report
Butterfly,

TGV to Grenoble is fast and direct from Paris...under 4 hrs IME...

The local post bus was 15.90 eu from LG last year but stops around 1730 from GareD Grenoble.
I think I still have 08's timetable.

So unless you can get out of Paris by 1300..which is pushing it, IMV, if you are travelling from the UK, you'll struggle to make the last orders post bus..
ski holidays
JT, thanks. Will be investigating all avenues, inc car hire, but interested in what bus options exist. Probably getting down to the south of the UK will be the hardest & dearest bit Shocked
latest report
Butterfly, if car hire is an option, Lyon and Valence may be worth a look. they add a bit (but not a huge bit) to the transfer but there are more and faster TGVs
snow report
Bens Bus Well that is good news. The only problem previously being that I encourage my peeps to come not on a saturday, and that was the only day you ran! Well done for seeing the niche and doing a good job with it. Very Happy Oh - and welcome to snowheads! Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy