Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long to put kids in ski school?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

Just looking into booking ski school for the kids, by the time we go over Easter, the oldest will be 8 and the youngest (just) 5. We are off to try La Ros for the first time...

The oldest has skiied 4 weeks and is confident on blues, and we did a short red together at the end of last year. Youngest had her first week last year.

So the question is how long to put them in ski school for? Trying to find a balance between skiing with them a few afternoons, but then also want to allow oldest a chance for a "day out", and then not putting them in ski school for too long.

Just wondered how long others have put their kids into ski school for at comparable ages?

Cheers,

greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When my oldest was 5 and 2 months we put him in ski school for mornings only. He had skied on the dry slope every week for about six months before we went but we still found that he got quite tired, especially towards the end of the week. He may have managed one full day but not much more.
We're taking his younger brother this year who will just have turned five when we go. He is a better skier at this age than his brother was, but he will still only be going to ski school for the mornings.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, I'd be inclined to ask the kids Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seriously though, all day I think is too long.

Until age 9 my oldest had ski school in the morning, now he has the odd private lesson and stays wuith us all day. The youngest (now 5) has ski school only in the mornings. Afternoons have always been 'family' time, mainly skiing but other activities too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From age 3: all day, every day, including lunch.
Well except for the last day when they skied with us in the afternoon.

It took them about 4 years to grow out of ski school and from then on were taking same coaching sessions as us.

Even now they comment on how they hated ski school except for the minty drink and chocolate at the end of the day.

Still....it toughened them up and got them skiing to a decent standard in short order.

Little blighters have it far too easy in general!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It might be worth a read at the thread further down on board - teaching methods for very young children http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29816
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Children should be in Ski school all day including Lunch BUT beware when they become teenagers they leave Dad behind Toofy Grin Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, One of the problems for british kids is that they tend not to stay in ski school long enough. If the school is for half the day then there's surely no problem with skiing the other half with them. I think it's one reason why there are so many intermediate british skiers! Keep them there until they are spat out of the competition class - you'll be giving them skills that will last a lifetime.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi charlotte,

Not sure I follow you, you say "One of the problems for british kids is that they tend not to stay in ski school long enough."

Does that mean you think a whole days ski school is ok for kids? At what age?

>> If the school is for half the day then there's surely no problem with skiing the other half with them

True, but ski school only appears to be for 2 hours, la ros says english ESH is 11:15 to 13:15..........

cheers,

greg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I think easiski was talking about the number of times children are enrolled in ski school in successive holidays, rather than the number of hours per day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wasn't kidding in my post about all day.
More instruction=more progress=more fun

Our kids are now having their own instructor time as the old farts were holding them back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I did indeed mean what rob@rar, says. You were saying they can ski a blue etc. Well IMO they should go to SS until they can do either freestyle or racing or whatever floats their boat. I think half a day is plenty long enough for anyone. More than that is money down the drain - sorry - rushing to leave work!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski,
I guess it's a case of different things suiting different folks, we have done many different things according to the ski school options. We most often have put them in for half day ski school and it seems to allow family time and adult skiing time. When the ski school hours are short there may be an option of the ski school arranging lunch and then you can collect them afterwards.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I mix it up....my daughter is 8 at easter is doing 4 mornings and 2 full days on a 7 day trip.

In the afternoons of no ski school she can come with me, it's nice to see her and we have a pretty good time.....

She's done all day's before and was fine but I quite like seeing her and we have a laugh..so it suits us.

It does very much depend on the family there is no right or wrong in my view..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:

True, but ski school only appears to be for 2 hours, la ros says english ESH is 11:15 to 13:15..........

cheers,

greg

Just looked at the web site out of interest EVO2 has childrens lessons 9-11:30 or afternoon and you can book them for lunch& play 11:30-14:30, looks like you can do this either every day or on a daily basis.
latest report
kitenski,

We go with Esprit. They take them of us at 9am and give them back 6pm for 6 days. Its selfish, its bad parenting but it means we get to ski for 6 days.Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Our kids love all day ski School and have done from age 3 onwards - in Lake Louise and Jackson Hole. The older one (11) now does full days with School half the time and full days with us the rest, and skis blacks, bumps and chopped powder pretty well. The 5 year old gets a run or 2 with us at the end of the day (usually about 15:30). Ski School is usually groups of 2 to 4 kids per instructor, and I really would disagree with easiski about more than half a day being a waste of money. It is also a social activity for the kids, especially the 5 year old who gets to play with kids his own age, and it allows us to ski. Worth the dosh to me wink
ski holidays
My daughter, 6 this winter, has done 1/2 days, but for 2 weeks at a time, for the past three years.

As others have said, sometimes they want to do other things - swimming, hot-tubs, clown school, jigsaws, whatever. We ensure that it is a family holiday with skiing as the primary but by no means exclusive activity.

Fortunately we have always traveled with friends and their children, so if the kids choose not to ski with us in the afternoons, then there is always the possibility of a division of labour, with some adults skiing, some doing other pursuits. It works well, and over a two week period, the smalls certainly do progress their skiing ability, despite not being under pressure to perform all day every day.

It is important to remember that when tiredness sets in, you can kill a child's enthusiasm for anything if you keep pushing it down their throats. Hot housing is certainly one approach, but not mine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy