Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cold comfort whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone ever used or know anyone who has used www.cold-comforts.com to book a Whistler holiday? We're looking to go to Whistler next Easter and they seem to be offereing some very good deals. However we seemed to have a good deal last February to France until the people running the chalet went bust so I'm rather wary of booking with unknowns? Any thoughts on cold-comforts (the name sounds a bit ominous!) or anyone any good advice for where else to get a good deal for Whistler? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Don't know much about booking holidays, however my folks have a private two bedroom condo very near the base of Blackcomb that they rent out. Not sure how much it goes for but you can ski in, walk out. Not sure what you are looking for but if you are interested you could contact them directly at gortons@telus.net.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reminds me of Cold Comfort Farm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112701/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, Laughing . Yep, me too. Although I didn't know it had been on TV. I remember the book well, though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/ - it's a private owners website. Never had a problem booking through them. You can get discounts on lift tickets etc if you book early with them, just like on cold-comforts.com.

You can even contact apartment owners directly if you want, via their details on the website.

Alternately, buy your lift tickets early via the Whistler Blackcomb phone line - they have UK other country freephone numbers. They tend to be cheaper, the earlier you buy them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never heard of Cold Comforts (been to Whistler a few times and I have no recall of seeing or hearing of them before).

That said, the website from my brief look at it seems pretty good and informative.

Doing Whistler as a DIY project is no big deal. You can do everything on the web.

For accomodation use allura or vrbo.com. If you want an hotel just go direct.

For transfers check the info on the resort website. We tend to use the Perimeter bus, but there are other options particularly if there a few of you. A private transfer may be as cheap.

Ski school is through the resort website. They have that sewn up. No private providers.

Ski hire can be that site or any of the resort shops. We use Summit ski because they are at the gondola and will store your skis for free overnight if you hire there. They also keep your shoes during the day so you can walk to/from the lifts in normal footwear, saving your feet and boots.

Lift tickets can be via your accomodation provider (Allura have a deal if you book before a date in Novenber) but Perimeter will sell you a discount lift ticket with a bus ticket (at any time).

Airfares are where you want to buy them on the web ie Expedia etc

Food and drink....eat out. There are some great restaurants at varying price levels.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies. A couple of people have told me we're likely to be rained upon in Whistler - any comments? I've been rained on whilst trying to ski in Morzine and Courchevel and not enjoyed it either time. Having said that, I've skied both of those resorts many times without any rain. Is it just a chance we take and it'll probably be OK higher up anyway?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sometimes it rains higher up and snows lower down... Madeye-Smiley

You're just unlucky if you get rained on at Whistler. I've been there loads and have only been rained on for a couple of days in a total of about 22 weeks skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It rains a lot in coastal BC in my experience so you will be lucky to see Vancouver in sun........................but if you do you will love it as it is great. Likewise Whistler village which is at low(ish) altitude. You will be very unlucky if you are rained on in the alpine (as they call it). More likely it is village rain and mountain snow.................but everybody will have at least one story of being rained on. In my case it is 1 day out of maybe 6 or 7 weeks. I can live with that. It wont stop me returning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have just booked into the Glaciers Reach condo's for next January.

I spoke to a very helpful lady at Cold Comforts when we first started looking and they offered some really good options. But we have since decided to book it all seperately as it was so easy. Well to be honest, my mate booked it as he used to live out there and decided he could do better. He did... but i still think that CC were pretty good.

As a side, does anyone know what sort of temperatures to expect in late January??? snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our last few trips have been end Jan/early Feb. The weather is not extreme in terms of temperatures unless exceptionally you get a mass of cold air down from the Arctic. Much more usually the weather is determined by the Pacific Ocean(which is why you get the rain/snow debate).

If your question is really...is it going to be 30 below like Banff/ Lake Louise might be then the answer is more than probably not.

I usually find a shell jacket, thin fleece and base layer keeps me comfortable

The historical data from the resort website is

Average Valley Temperatures
low high
January -8 C 18 F -2 C 28F

Average Alpine Temperatures

low high

Dec - Feb -12 C 11 F -5 C 23F

Goggles are a must. Sunglasses if you are optimistic.You dont see that many skiing with sunglasses in Whistler, but there is the odd brave soul.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cold Comforts Whistler - about us

We came across this forum today when we were searching for some information to put on our site - www.cold-comforts.com.

If you have any questions regarding Cold Comforts and what we offer please do not hesitate to contact us - or come and visit us at the London Ski Show - October 24th - 28th at stand number - 210j+I

To assure everyone and to answer questions posted in this forum here is some more information about us - We have been based in Whistler since 2001 and all of our staff have over 10/15 years of experience working with UK tour operators in Europe and Whistler. Cold Comforts was founded on the basis that we provide in-depth knowledge on the resort of Whistler and offer a tailor-made personalised service. Our reservations staff are based out of the Whistler office, to ensure we can provide you with the most up to date information.

Our prices remain extremely competitive and we have excellent early booking specials which cannot always be found by browsing the web.
We have selected discounts on flights which are exclusive to us and our prices for hotel/apartments/chalets are cheaper than if you go to the provider direct. We have early booking specials on passes and rentals including free days which also cannot be purchased unless an accommodation package is booked with us. We also include a private free day ski guiding/mountain orientation tour for just your group.

As for putting together the package we can do it all for you to save you time and at no extra cost, with the added bonus of our local knowledge and suggestions we can find the ideal property and package to suit your needs.

Cold Comforts has a fully comprehensive Tour Operators liability insurance- because we are dealing with the North American market as well our insurance has to cover us for absolutely everything! The policy has been written and approved by the Council of Tour Associations of British Columbia and Tourism Industry Association of Canada which represents over 18,000 tourism operators. Flights are covered by IATA. Most Whistler based operators have this particular insurance as well as the activity companies based here. In the extremely unlikely event of our insolvency, our insurance will ensure that you are not stranded abroad and will arrange to refund any money you have paid to us for an advance booking.

If you have any questions regarding Cold Comforts and what we offer please do not hesitate to contact us - or come and visit us at the London Ski Show - October 24th - 28th at stand number - 210j+I
Telephone - 0800 881 8429
simon@cold-comforts.com
www.cold-comforts.com
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have booked with Cold Comforts to go skiing in January. So far I am very impressed with the high level of service we have had. Even with the time delay, all my emails have been answered within the day.

The lady who posted above (Sophie)has managed to get me flights 25% cheaper than I could find, these are all fully booked and I received the E-Tickets within an hour of booking. The hotels we have booked in both Whistler and Vancouver are exactly what we wanted at a considerable saving.

It is also worth noting that Sophie tailored this package to our exact requirments based on the flights, departures and days in each area.

I will update this thread when we return in February.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Bat, stayed Glaciers Reach in Feb last year, it never stopped snowing the entire week, which was good but I have no idea whether Whistler actually has a sky Very Happy Glaciers Reach was a 15 (ish) minute walk to the main lifts and center of town, and across the road from a big supermarket. It was quieter than being in the middle of town which was good, but a bit of a walk home after a few too many beers Very Happy I woiuld think that the temps were no worse (a little better even) than the Alps for that time of year. Chair lift rides seemed to be longer than normal (long lifts rather than lots of shorter lifts that hop around the alps) so wrap up warm wink Hope you have a hot tub on your balcony too Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went to Whistler in mid March a couple of years ago - it rained every day for 2 weeks in resort !!! It was still raining half way up the mountain, so you were sat on wet chairlifts getting wet until you hit the freezing point. Snow was very poor at the bottom obviously and not really great higher up.

When talking to a local about the weather his comment 'Welcome to Whistler !!! '

Went back last year, earlier - mid January and it was better with blue skies and powder Very Happy Still wasnt very cold tho as I skied in a base layer and shell for the 2 weeks, although we did have one day of windy conditions.
ski holidays
I have had some of my coldest skiing days ever in Whistler. Also I have had some of the best powder days. This is not a coincidence.
snow report
malcolm1 wrote:
but everybody will have at least one story of being rained on. In my case it is 1 day out of maybe 6 or 7 weeks. I can live with that. It wont stop me returning.

mine's about the same ratio - very rare in my experience but it does happen at village level mostly, and that's nothing to worry about as you don't ski down there.

Hopefully I'll be there in 7 days - got a metre plus at top already and storms are lining up Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Ski Bat,

I've stayed at Glacier's Reach a couple of times: it's pretty comfortable and as rayscoops points out, just over the road from the (good) supermarket. There's also a liquor store in the same shopping mall (but note that this is CLOSED ON SUNDAYS!!).
ski holidays
Bones, was that March 2006 or March 2005? I was there for both and to be honest I don't remember it raining every day in resort. I do remember plenty of snow though!! Very Happy
ski holidays
sophiejecollins,

Welcome and very pro-active thank you
snow report
We have just returned from a 14 day holiday booked with Cold-Comforts and I couldn't be happier. The service that we received was first class throughout the whole holiday. We were met at the airport and transferred to Whistler in cold-comforts own vehicle.

We had ten days in Whistler and three in Vancouver with all transfers arranged. Both hotels were great with excellent relaxation facilities and in fantastic locations. The hotels were Pan Pacific Mountainside in Whistler and Four seasons in Vancouver.

The costing for the whole holiday including flights was considerably cheaper than if we had self sourced.

I would have no hesitation in booking with this company again if we return to do the 60% of runs that we missed this time. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy