Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Realli-ski simulators - anyone tried this? UPDATE - with video!!

Poster: A snowHead
I am stuck at the stage of trying to get my skis more parallel as I turn, instead of using a plough shape. I don't yet know what it feels like to get it right - I think I need to go through the stage of getting it right by experimentation/accident, thus allowing my body to find out what it feels like to hold the position AND keep my balance, before I will be able to start to replicate it consistently. The trouble is that the fear of falling and getting injured is holding me back!

Might a go on such a device help me over that stage by allowing me to experience the feeling/positioning without the fear - or is the feeling quite different on them? Would it be a waste of time/dosh or could it save both by getting me over the hurdle faster? (Both are a bit tight at the mo!)

The website is http://www.realli-ski.co.uk/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-11-07 1:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier - I've used realli-ski a fair amount and would recommend it. The great thing is that the instructor can say "that was a good turn" and you can relate immediately to the feedback - rather than "your second and third turns were good, but the latter ones weren't".

The only reason I don't use it

If you're "close" to parallel then it'll only take a session or two.

Very, very tiring though. Do not underestimate how tiring.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NewSkier, I have to virually pass the Watford venue every week - tempted to give it a go
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier, I teach at Radlett Realli-ski, on a Wednesday night thoughout the Winter.

Good points: Totally safe
Great if time is a scarce commodity, 30 mins is equivalent to 5 hours on a dry slope.
instruction can be given as you're skiing, rather than at the top or bottom of the hill.
Constant skiing for up to 30 mins.
Accellerated learning.

Bad points: Very tiring
No Centripetal forces
No variation in terrain.

Give it a go.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you have to wear pixie skis?

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, Yep, 1m Snowblades
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, is it one-to-one, as it looks on the website? I met a guy who was planning to work there but thought Radlett hadn't been open very long? I understand Pete Silver Gillespie has taken over the training from Mark Jones, so you've certainly had quality trainers involved. Might wonder down and have a look...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, Pete is in charge of training. I attended a weekend session with him. It's one to one or group lesson with a max of 4.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, its wednesday night when I'm nearby. what's Centripetal forces ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
NewSkier, I teach at Radlett Realli-ski, on a Wednesday night thoughout the Winter.

That's a fair enough recommendation!

Quote:

Bad points:
Very tiring, No Centripetal forces ....

If the learning's accelerated, the tiredness is worth it, and can't be worse than when I was in Tignes. I worked so hard coming down what seemed a vertical descent to me, that I got stitch and my leg muscles were visibly quivering so badly I had to stop and rest part way down. On making it down to the bottom of the (not really very long Embarassed ) slope, my leg muscles just gave up, to the point that I wasn't able to stand up to get off the bloomin chairlift back up to the funicular station!! Sad

As I would have to travel a long way, do you think I'd cope with 2 lessons in one day? Would separating them a bit, say morning and afternoon, work? Would that be expedient use of a one-off trip, or do you think one lesson would be worthwhile on its own?

Does the lack of centripetal force make that much difference to the feel at my level, ie at slower speed?

I am not sure I totally understand centripetal force, to be honest. Am I right in that the centripetal force is what's exerted by the skier leaning into the centre of an arc described by a turn to compensate for the centrifugal force which is trying to throw you outwards and would make you ski off at a tangent to the curve (like I tend to when I don't hold a turn cos the slope's steep enough to make me 'freeze'!)? That seems to make sense physics-wise, yet I have been told the reason I can't always hold turns is that I am leaning into the hill and shouldn't be. Am I actually looking for a combination of enough pressure on the downhill (outside) ski together with enough lean to compensate for any centrifugal force, and that this probably wouldn't become an issue until travelling a bit faster than my preferred snail's pace?

PS - you say it's 1m snowblades - does that feel radically different to normal length skis? Would I bring my own boots?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, NewSkier,
Centripetal force is the force that pulls you to the outside of the turn, like a Centrefuge. The forces build up under your feet and help to bend the skis, making them turn more. As on the Realli-Ski simulator, you don't move but the slope moves under you, they're are no forces pulling you to the outside of the turn. It isn't noticable at low speeds, but feels a bit odd at higher speeds.
The sessions are half hour, so 2 in a day is OK. The centre is situated within a farm shopping complex, with a good range of shops to look around, plus Radlett and Watford are close also.
Bring your own Boots, but not skis if you have them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, Is it not centrifugal force that pulls you to the outside and centripetal the force used to resist the pull of the centrifuge. IE; balancing and controlling the forces through the edging of the ski and dynamic body management.

I haven't experienced one of these machines but I can see how they can be off benefit. The skier balancing over the feet through use of ankles and knees.

On snow when the above mentioned forces and that of gravity are more in play, I expect, if required, the hips would come naturally to the inside of the turn thereby assisting in the balancing of the forces.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks - when I have a spare day & the dosh I will get a visit fixed up!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I pass by there occasionally, I'm certainly curious enough to give it a go, but I must say I don't hold out a lot of hope that it's up to much as, well, the website is conspicuous for its scarcity of endorsements from skiing pros. Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, It's certainly not the be all and end all, but it has it's good points.
ski holidays
Spyderman, safe, fair 'nuff, constant practise for 30 min, but practising what exactly? Is it directly translatable to snow? Accelerated learning: having done 3x30minutes would you be able to do early plough parallels on snow immediately? Would you even be able to do developing plough turns consistently? Surely it encourages skidding everywhere. I asked if you could traverse and was assured you could - on a 1.5m width rolling carpet? I think that's called a sideslip, isn't it?
snow conditions
slikedges, Honest answer is I don't know. I've never as yet seen anyone who was taught on the Sim and then went to snow. So I don't have any feedback on how it transfers to snow.
latest report
Spyderman, Snowshark, a body continues in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a force (Newton's first law of motion). A centripetal force is required for a body to stop moving in a straight line and instead to describe an arc. In a carved turn, that is provided by the reaction, at the ski/snow interface, to the skier's weight: of which the necessary lateral component is provided by inclining the skis on their edges.

Centrifugal force doesn't really exist; it is nothing more than the natural tendency to continue moving in a straight line in the absence of forces.
snow report
laundryman, Thanks, I never was any good at Physics, but hopefully I got the idea across as to what was lacking.
ski holidays
Spyderman, You did, indeed.
snow conditions
Spyderman, thanks, would be interesting to know though Little Angel wink
latest report
I have a lesson booked this Friday 12th October, I'll let you know how I get on.

Also the better half is having a lesson, she has not been on ski since 1986, if I can repeat what she says I let you know that too Shocked

Then on the PSB I let you know if any of it translated to the real thing, or should I say when I have my lessons with Easiski she will know if I have learnt anything Laughing
latest report
I'm going tonight, try out new boots and try and get ski legs before PSB
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Good Luck, Hope you enjoy it.
snow conditions
blytht, What about all those free lessons you had last January? Wink
snow conditions
laundryman, Spyderman, probably the clearest description of centrifugal and centripetal force I've seen was given by Physicsman on an Epic thread pointed to by Martin Bell (in the middle of that pressure/force argument). The first two sentences of laundryman's reply are fine, but I'm not at all sure I agree with the last two. The centripetal force is that lateral force exerted on the skier/skis by the snow - and increases with the skiers mass (to be picky), speed and tightness of turn. It's not exerted directly in reaction to the skiers weight - it would be exactly the same in a weightless environment as on the Earth - and doesn't reduce or increase in any way per se the amount of force applied vertically (which is due to the skier's weight). Centrifugal force does exist, and is the lateral force that the skis exert on the snow, exactly matching and opposite to the centripetal force (appearing at the same Batplace, same Battime - Newton's third law).

While you guys may be beyond it (until the grandkids come along), another case comes in when you're spinning your kids around hanging from your arms and getting everyone very dizzy. Centripetal force is what you exert on your kid to stop them flying off into the wide blue yonder, and centrifugal is what your kid's exerting on you.
snow report
GrahamN,

Apologies if this is a silly suggestion - I'm no physicist (or physician wink ) as you're about to discover Embarassed

If you and your child are spinning around, you are a single system. Neither of you can exert a force on the other.
The spinning motion creates an outward force which is resisted by you leaning away (ie balancing that outward force by allowing gravity to pull you downwards) and by you applying a force to the ground on which you are standing. Thus, by your definition, centripetal force is a combination of leg-power and gravity. Is that anywhere near the truth?
snow report
holidayloverxx, How did you get on last night then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier, well.....to be honest I found it rather un-nerving. I think people need to decide for themselves whether it suits them. I just couldn't relax, my stance was all over the place and I actually felt faint and sick after a few minutes Shocked. It's just as well I had a private lesson otherwise the group would have been really disrupted.

It didn;t help that my new boots were killing me. I changed to the rentals, and kept going....boy, it's hard work. I was glowing profusely by the end wink

upside:
- the swoosh sound when you turn really does sound like snow Very Happy

- the speed and gradient can be altered if it goes too fast or steep for you

- good exercise

- not sure there are any more upsides for me. I'm going to MK next week and will consider my options.

downside:
- I found the bar in front really odd - I felt it was keeping me too upright in my stance. In hindsight I could have just not held on and pretended I was holding poles instead. I think that would have improved my stance

- Instructor saying "hold your pelvis and waist so"....and demonstrating with a fleece jacket hanging open so I coudl see neither rolling eyes

- if you g, check the directions on streetmap or google. the map on the website is useless, showing the road layout as if it is very close to the M1 - it isn't. you have to pass many turn-offs which aren't on the map. New Street (where you turn off) is on a mini roundabout not shown on the map. Watford Road is called something Lane before it becomes Watford Road. also the map off junction 5 of the M1 doesn;t really show that you have to head down the A41 from the junction then turn left onto Watford Road. When you find the venue, it's farm buildigns converted into shops. Realli-ski is through the arch leading to the exit - go throught he arch and turn left. There are no changing rooms, but you can change in the little kitchen (I was straight from work so had to change).
snow report
holidayloverxx, Sorry to hear you Boots are hurting, maybe try again when they're sorted. You certainly don't need to be wearing many clothes or you'll melt.
snow conditions
Does anyone have a link to a video (youtube etc) where you can see it working. There may be something on their website and I just can't see it.
ski holidays
Spyderman, I probably will give it another go when the boots are bedded in. I think now that I know how it works I will be able to work with the machine rather than against it, which is what I was really doing.

I was wearing t shirt and jogging pants - maybe I need to wear shorts wink

for the benefit of other readers - Spyderman wasn't the instructor.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

I was wearing t shirt and jogging pants - maybe I need to wear shorts wink

Just go for the Swimsuit option wink

Hard work isn't it? 30 mins = 5 hours on a dry slope.

I think you had Clare as your Instructor. I only do Wednesday nights there.
snow report
Spyderman, It was Wednesday! 7.00pm.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, holidayloverxx,Sorry, Doh!! I'm there from next Wednesday, excluding the 24th, when there's something happening in Tignes. wink
snow conditions
Spyderman, maybe another time then Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Hi, I have just finished my lesson, and they have let me use the web here. What can I say it was excellent and I would recommend this to anyone, the great thing is the instructor telling you all the time, definitely installs confidence, to get from unconfident parallel, to then suddenly, as discussed on the other thread the "A-Ha" moment. Knowing that the ankle flex to the knee movement then on to the hip is something I would never attempt on snow, but having the bar in front of you, allows that you to make mistakes without wiping out big time.

A thumbs up from me. snowHead

If you put the postcode in a TomTom Satnav it found it OK.

PS. Let see if we can get them to give Snowheads a discount Cool
ski holidays
blytht, still want to stick with the dry slope next week, but maybe give realliski a blast before your next trip?
snow conditions
blytht, glad you enjoyed it. who was your instructor?
snow report
Spyderman, I had a go on a similar device to this at Hillingdon, years ago. The benefits were exactly as you describe, but there were huge problems with heat build up - so the ski would grab, and BANG, over you'd go ! Has that been fixed, if so, how ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy