Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stop the Brutal Grooming

Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd getting another subject going here.

Thoughts on getting back to real skiing and doing away with Piste Groomers ? Just to add more salt to the wound how about how about doing away with the lifts and return to hiking-up ?

Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know about the Netherlands, stanton, but you can enjoy all that in Scotland - come and enjoy, F.O.C.!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
U can tell he lives in a flat country rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is this this piste bashing Scottish style? Or isn't it raining enough?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry stanton, but as a member of the DHO I cannot agree to your proposal snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, so you won't want a ride in my Kassbohrer PistenBully then? It's got a very impressive stereo, gluhwein dispenser and nodding dog.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very impressive. Does anybody have any idea how much these monsters cost?
Just in case this gets separated from DG's picture, I am talking about piste-bashers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The trouble with stopping piste grooming is that with the number of skiers in most resorts, you'd soon have moguls EVERYWHERE so you'd never actually return to the "good old days/real skiing" with soft fresh snow on all the pistes, except for just after a snowfall.

As far as getting rid of lifts, most resorts would lose at least 90% of their winter business overnight! Having said that I always like best the off-piste runs which need a bit of a walk to get to - for every 5 mins of walking required the number of punters on the run probably drops by half!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith,
Isn't that a picture of a Snow Bison??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK

Flat country ? Im sitting here at work 7 metres below sea level . I have to climb-up to get out of here everytime I go home which is 1 metre below Smile

If you have ever been here your know where im coming from on this topic
http://www.silvertonmountain.com
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I only ride in them uphill !
I got a great picture (not with we right now) of a one I rode up in Las Lenas . Off Piste off naturally !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, if I'd known that you operated submarines I wouldn't have suggested anything as boring as a ride in my PistenBully.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Flat country ? Im sitting here at work 7 metres below sea level . I have to climb-up to get out of here everytime I go home which is 1 metre below Smile

Where would we be without dykes, eh? Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, OK you get 4-5 runs per day with a total of 8-12,000 ft verticle for $119 per day for the pass including guide, but a private guide costs an additional $425 per day. mind you there's a maximum of 80 skiers per day, it still has one lift though ! Verticle of chair is only 1,900 ft

Gosh you can buy a lifetime pass for only $15,000 what a bargin ! Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know this is digressing but do you think riding around in a submarine would be that exciting ? Unless it's one of those ones with windows and sea monsters outside.
ski holidays
D G Orf

Your to late .
Its guided only now . When they first put the chair up when I went a few years back you could go unguided & they only charged a few $ for the lift ride. Before then, it use to be a hike-up & that was even better > FREE !
Laughing
snow report
While we're on the subject of brutal grooming here's a couple of examples that I agree should be stopped:

Example 1......Example 2
ski holidays
Sorry David Goldsmith, I must have a problem with my computer they both looked like pictures of badly groomed bitches to me Shocked
latest report
Well who needs lifts when you've got one of these!

(mpg file - be warned)
snow conditions
David's examples have given me an idea. Maybe we can compromise on the grooming issue. We can have totally ungroomed pistes, those bashed a little at the edges, the Brazilian which leaves an ungroomed strip up the middle ...
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, so how do you know Gregor Attwenger?
The rest of class 3A are a fun lot.
If you want a really good example of Brutal Grooming you should look at Andreas's photo album:
Position One . Position Two . Shocked
ski holidays
Position Two certainly is brutal, Jonpim!
ski holidays
Japan is the extreme grooming capital. My friend who skis there says that after a snowfall they won't open the lifts till the slopes have been flattened. When he questioned this he was told that the Japanese can't ski deep snow.
ski holidays
Jonpim.... that must be a Mullet...

J2Dave...
snow report
Quote:

the Japanese can't ski deep snow.
snowball, that's why all the ski bums head out there! There aren't many resorts in Japan that you can legitimately ski-off piste. Niseko being one, which apparently has powder comparable with the best resorts in Europe and North America ( I'm doing a little recce as I've been asked to 'work' in Tokyo for a couple of months). There are some interesting stories on the Ski Japan forum, which is dominated, from what I gather by the lingo, by hardcore Aussie and Canadian expats!
snow report
Kit Wong,
I don't know about the powder being comparable with the best of Europe/America, I suspect it may be better. I went there to get a bit of late seaon skiing never having previously heard of it, wonderful ski area not expensive, loads of offpiste and really friendly. There was about 8 metres a the top of the hill in April and they hadnt had snow for a couple of weeks (apparently unusual).All this with a resort base height of about 300m and a latitude same as Barcelona I think.
They also have machine made moguls for the mogul freaks and some very old one man chairs with terrible music.
ski holidays
I had some business in Sapporo in the early 1990s. When I mentioned prior to a visit in February that I'd quite like to go skiing, I was politely asked my boot size 'cos the feet of an average Western bloke are apparently beyond the normal range in Japan. Sure enough, when I got there, boots and bindings had been ordered ahead.

Only had one day skiing there, and it was snowing heavily. I seem to remember it was enjoyable, but since the après ski was at the Sapporo brewery, my memory is somewhat hazy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy