Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valais region or Zillertal?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

considering next year's trip which will be March 15th-22nd. Two options at present; fly to Geneva or fly to Munich. If Geneva, looking at Valais region, if Munich the Zillertal.

Will be approx 8 of us, mixed ability. We will have hire cars this year as we're quite interested in basing ourselves somewhere with easy-ish (half hour or so) reach of satellite resorts to get to as well, sharing same lift pass. This way it doesn't matter if our accommodation isn't slap bang at the ski lifts as we can drive out.

Was looking at a couple of options in Anzere and Crans Montana, but bit concerned about lowness/sunshine at that time of year turnign slopes to mush. I know it's pot luck and could be good/bad anywhere, but I like to play the percentages.

Don't want anywhere too expensive, however, so Zillertal and lower Austrian prices are looking attractive at present. Anyone got any tips/hints on subjective prices of beer/lunchtime/evening food prices in Valais compared with Zillertal?! Best places to base ourselves at either location for easy access to other bits of piste on lift pass?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know the Zillertal but have been to Valais. If you stay somewhere near or along the A9 you can get to Villars, Portes du Soleil, Verbier, Nendaz, Ovronnaz, Anzere, Crans-M in no time. I have skied Anzere & C-M in March and Ovronnaz in April, could ski back to resort every time. They are south-facing tho so probably not possible in a bad year. Should be plenty of action in the Four Valleys that time of year: easy access to Nendaz and Veysonnaz from Sion.

Have stayed in Anzere. Was a long time ago, but the apres was quiet, which may influence your decision.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. Thanks. Is there a "regional" lift pass that covers the Nendaz sort of area? That appears to be a "cheaper" option than verbier but still convenient....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zillertal relatively cheap, accomodation in Mayrhofen can be had for as little as £24 a night. Or you can stay at top of the hill for about £60 half board. Nothing like a champagne breakfast and then be on the hill first Smile

Beers def cheaper.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If staying in the Zillertal in mid-March... better to stay nearer to the Hintertux end just in case? Or is there *usually* enough height/cold to retain snow throughout the valley?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carled,
You can get a Printze pass that covers the 4 valleys except Verbier I think it includes Evolene as well. Worth looking at the discounts if you are a family as they are significant.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a regional ski-card which (it says here) you can preload with points:

http://www.matterhornstate.com/en/valaisskicardinfo.cfm?

altho it is not clear how many points get deducted for each days skiing. Might be worth further investigation carled.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
the ice perv, 1 pt deducted for 1 CHF of lift pass cost. You get a discount prepaying larger amounts, eg. 500 pts bought for 450 CHF.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the Valais ski-card available to anyone or is it for Valais residents only ?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
ssnowman, I'm not sure. I haven't looked into that as I think it only operates on a day pass basis and we've been on weekly passes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssnowman, It's available to anyone.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Sparks, thanks, that sounds ideal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, I don't know how much the regional lift pass costs in Valais but I thought Zillertal was a bargain for the area covered. 3 years ago we paid £120 each for 600km of pistes with transport included between the resorts. We only had to pay a small amount extra for the glacier.

Hotels in Mayrhofen (which is fairly central) were also good value for money. Beers were around £2.50-3 - I think! Apres is fantastic. Food on the mountain was reasonable - about a £5 each for lasagne/pasta and soft drink.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 28-09-07 14:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled wrote:
If staying in the Zillertal in mid-March... better to stay nearer to the Hintertux end just in case? Or is there *usually* enough height/cold to retain snow throughout the valley?

I thnik there is usually enough height/cold.

The only time I have been there was last January, when there was virtually no snow at all in the Neiderau area (or much of the Ski Welt). We weer skiing for the week then at Kaltenbach, and there was plenty of cover on the pistes, although even there it was thin off-piste at the start of the week, and you couldn't ski down to the car park (almost all the skiing there is above the main gondolas that take you up from the car park).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Swiss Valais resorts are 1.5 hours easy drive from Geneva with the added attraction of being soooooo much prettier than the resorts on the French side. PDS whole area lift pass for 6 days next season is 277 ChF adult (about £120), 186ChF child and youth pass (includes students) is 235ChF. We have always had plenty of snow at Champery in March and even if it is a bit thin (second week of April last year) there was plenty higher up - if a bit soft in the afternoons. As you say, depends on the snow gods. Champery is great for mixed ability groups as there are several ways of getting to most places so it is easy to meet up for lunch. Bottom of the cable car to standing on your skis ready to go takes 10mins. you can ski back to just outside the village. Lunches - cheese based main course, drink and coffee comes to about 25ChF (£10.00). A bit more expensive on the French side but thereare a numebe of cheaper places just off the obvious tracks. If you have transport, lots of other areas (Verbier, Villars / Les Diablerets) within striking distance. or there's always the train. If you pm me I will be happy to provide further info.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy