Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria spends a lot on snowguns

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
According to this article Austria spends 127 million Euros on snowmaking this winter. This is the highest sum ever in this country.
Sixty percent of the pistes in Austria is covered with snow guns.
For example, the resort of St. Johann/Tirol spent 11 million Euros on snowmaking this summer, and now they need only 60 hours to cover the whole resort (60 km runs)* with artificial snow.
Last season the revenue of the lift companies in Austria decreased by 7 percent compared to the prevoius season.
The lifts carried 21% less passangers than in 2005/2006.

It seems that Austria is still number 1 in Europe regarding the percentage of the artificial snow coverage.

*according to this site.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Erm.. don't want to be anal or anything, but it says they invested 127millions this summer, not this winter Wink I'll translate it for the non-germans out there:

Quote:
Austria's 263 "aerial ropeway companies" [due to lack of better phrase] invested 127 million Euros in snowguns this summer, more than ever before. Because of this; according to subject expert Ingo Karl, almost 60% of all the ski pistes can be covered with artifical snow this winter. Karl is under the impression that these numbers will only increase over the next few years.

The "aerial ropeway companies" have had to invest into new snowguns because the days of -4°C weather (the optimal temperture) are soon vanishing. The resort of St. Johann/Tirol, who Karl is the manager of, invested 11 million Euros in a new plant that can cover the resort with aritifcial snow within 60 hours.

Last winter, the industry blamed a 7% decrease in profits to 858 million Euros due to a lack of snow. The amount of passengers decreased by 21% to 476million last winer.

Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timmaah, sorry if it was not clear. I meant they invested for the winter of 2007/2008.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
>>The "aerial ropeway companies" have had to invest into new snowguns because the days of -4°C weather (the optimal temperture) are soon vanishing.

Timmaah, Are they saying that they can make snow at higher temps?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy,
Quote:

It sounds to me as if they are saying that they need to be able to make enough snow in a shorter period of time. Last year I don't think this would have made much of a difference in a lot of resorts though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy wrote:
>>The "aerial ropeway companies" have had to invest into new snowguns because the days of -4°C weather (the optimal temperture) are soon vanishing.

I doubt they can make snow at much higher temperatures but as soon as the temps drop they can get the snow cannons on getting the place white quickly without having to wait for the next snowfall.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/snow-maker3.htm

"aerial ropeway companies" = cable car company
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
here's a link to the details of snowmaking at planai , schladming. Pretty much 100% piste covered.

http://www.planai.at/winter/index_eng_3672_ENG_HTML.htm

Last season I think the manmade stuff made a big difference. Was able to ski down to valley (700m) into April on strips of white stuff. Whether it's global warming reality or perception the fact is any business is going to hedge it's bets, in this case mother nature producing enough natural snow. I assume the cost and technology of snowmaking has reached a point where it's clearly affordable for resorts to cover large areas. I think free market competition mixed with global warming hysteria, also drives resorts to install snowmaking. No doubt there are an ever increasing number of skiers/ boarders considering resort by percentage of psite covered with snowmaking.

If only they could make powder! Surley there is a piste basher that can puff up compacted snow into powder! Maybe just put a conventional basher into reverse gear Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy wrote:

You can make snow at "positive" temperatures. I think it is the wet bulb temperature that needs to be -4C or lower. However I doubt they have many days like that in mid-altitudes in Austria. Drier areas such as the Hautes-Alpes can make snow at higher temperatures... if they have the water.

Snow canons are part of the marketing mix. Just as 10 years ago if you didn't have 100km + of runs now you need to have extensive snowmaking to attract the tour operators. It is not an effective weapon against global warming and climate change.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
iblair, that's the way I read it as well - they think they'll have less days on which it's cold enough to make snow than before, so they need to invest in more equipment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If correct, 60% snowgun coverage nationwide is impressive.

Especially when you compare it with Scotland, where the ratio is under 5%.

Snowguns are now as important as the resort height, the natural snow record, the glacier coverage, the skiarea size and the number of lifts.

Fake snow makes a big difference. I skied down to 1200m on a whitestrip in Les Arcs in Apr a few years back, when the natural snowline in some directions had melted up to almost 1800m. In Saalbach in early Jan last year, almost the entire resort would've been closed without their 90%+ snowgun coverage.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Come to think of it, I agree that even with the warm weather last year it did make a big difference. This picture shows the run down to resort at Hochjoch (700m) that was open for almost the whole season!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1366141&l=38d15&id=870805393
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They were certainly installing a few more snow canon when I was in Kitzbuhel this summer.

Our hotel owner told us last season had been helped a good bit by their snow cannons - he claimed four days of cold weather was enough for the cannons to sufficiently cover the runs.

snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kerekip wrote:
According to this article Austria spends 127 million Euros on snowmaking this winter. This is the highest sum ever in this country.
Sixty percent of the pistes in Austria is covered with snow guns.
For example, the resort of St. Johann/Tirol spent 11 million Euros on snowmaking this summer, and now they need only 60 hours to cover the whole resort (60 km runs)* with artificial snow.
Last season the revenue of the lift companies in Austria decreased by 7 percent compared to the prevoius season.
The lifts carried 21% less passangers than in 2005/2006.

It seems that Austria is still number 1 in Europe regarding the percentage of the artificial snow coverage.

*according to this site.

I dont think this was specifically because of last season.

Upgrades,pump houses, holding reservoirs,snowguns & all the planning & eventual orders would of been planned years in advance.

Dont forget the big resorts like St Anton they have had snowmaking capability for the last 25 yrs.

Austria is very generous to ski resorts by allowing the Lift/Snowmaking companys to pump the water out of the rivers for free !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy