Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Nomad Blackeye...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Very interested in these skis. Can anyone who's had a ski on them please post your comments. I won't get a chance to test them until the end of next month.

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderjon's skied the Crimsons - the model "up" from the Blackeye - and had positive things to say about them, but I've not seen anyone comment on the Blackeye on SH. Might be worth a look on the 'net or Epicski, as it was available in the US last season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are all these atomic nomad skis ......

1) only availble with integrated bindings.

2) on the heavy side like the B5 (anybody got actual weights?)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got my Crimsons, and they're markedly lighter than my Metron M11:B5s. Afaik they're integrated-only, but don't take that as 100% gospel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got a new pair of Blackeyes last season during a visit to Panorama & Babff,Canada. Took me ages to get hold of them as they launched only in North America last season (apparently thats where they designed the new Nomads).
I was comming off of an pair of Atomic SXB5 (not for the timid), which are actually a very good and rewarding ski. The SXB5 is only a heavy ski if you carry it, I try to spend most of my time with them of my feet. Although the SXB5 coped with powder it was not quite ideal, And as I've gradually looked for more adventures and terrain I've introduced more off piste and powder. I was looking for a good 50/50 ski, which would provide good piste performance (although not quite at the performance level of the SXB5), and excellent off piste/powder performance. My idea was with Blackeye you get the structural stability and TFC of crimson, plus the on piste carve versatility of a narrower waiste. Consider, lighter ski with enough flexfor softer stuff, torrsional stiffness to cope with piste/hard snow, and a really good bindind (sames as my old SXB5), All works well for me.

Being Canada I got to use them in all conditions from early morning hard pack and ice to late afetnoon sticky stuff, and yes fresh powder, so I had a really good opportunity to test. I skied the straight out of the wrapper, in short they were absolutely brilliant.

In fresh powder.
I had the best time of my life,
No submarine experiances,
Light and easy to turn,
Quite effortless (vs SXB5 anyway),
I got some realy great long runs in (a first for me).

Off piste.
Amongst the trees I found them manouverable.
Control the speed very easy,
Responsive to suden changes of direction.

On piste.
Edge grip on hard pack was superb,
No slippage all week,
Straight line speed and stability excellent, I was happy to race with a freind of mine still using his SXB5.
Turn initiation on piste very easy,

Other.
I found a virgin piste that had been used for GS racing, when they removed the gates and opened it, over about 2km I tried just about every carve variation I could think of, short/long/wide/shallow/fast/veryfast/ slow, they performed superbly.

I Can't wait to use them again!

Bob

ps.
Anyone going to Ischgl 2-9th Dec ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a pair of Metron M11-B9's. They are by far the best ski's I've ever ad on. I'd gpo for them but not tried the others.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bob, what are your stats (weigth, height) and could you describe your ability level? I am looking for info on this ski, too, trying to see whether it will suit me. Won't have chance to demo until the actual trip Sad

Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:

The black eye is 20% lighter than the old metron line, in fact I think the whole Nomad Series is 20% lighter than the old metron line.
THAT is a good thing!

The Black eye is slightly narrower(79) than the crimson(86) so it's quicker but it has a lot of the same properties as the crimson aside from that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been reading the reviews everywhere and these come on my shortlist of 5 to buy this year.

The reason? Performed best for the heavier skiier - so if you're a lightweight twink - save yer pennies! Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Turns'n'turns,

Age,45yrs
Ht, 1.685m
Weight, 76kg
fitness level, high
Level,Good advanced
Previous planks, Salomon, Hexel 532 (if anyone remembers these), K2 TRC, K2 SL race, Atomic Merlin V, Voelkl Vertigo Motion, Atomic SXB5, Atomic Blackeye (current).
Boots, Tecnica Diablo Mag.
Hat, wool with tassle.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:

1) Only with Neox bindings in the UK (rolling eyes, blame Atomic UK) but available in the flat in the US. If you want them flat I can put you on to a good US retailer, but the Neox 412 is a highly underated alpine binding. Bought flat they'd make great touring or telemark skis.

2) My 176cm Crimson's are very light at 6.4kg per pair versus 7.3kg for 05/06 162cm M:B5's with the latest Neox 412's. My 05/06 SX-B5's with Neox 412's are also 7.3kg per pair. My Crimson's with the toe/heel pieces removed are 4.5kg per pair but that still includes the aluminium/plastic rail that's attached to the ski so they'd be even lighter when properly flat.

For either a one ski quiver or as an all mountian addition to a pair of piste skis I'd buy the Crimson's over the Blackeye's as they're the same construction & do everything the Blackeye does & more. I've only skied demo Blackeye's in 178 for a couple of runs but the Crimson's are so quick edge to edge for an 86mm ski with all that extra float etc & virtually the same radius.

My Crimson's are going to be for sale very soon - I don't really want them to go as they're great skis but I want/need to use the products that I retail & unfortunately Atomic will not supply me.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 5-10-07 15:57; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wanted: impressions of Neox614s long-term, particularly in a club racing environment.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, no personal experience I'm afraid as the 614's in the UK are only sold as hostage bindings on their top race/cross skis as they're too heavy for anything else & never went through the 'dieting' process of the 412's. I've a couple of customers/mates on them but only piste skis & not racing.

Try Atomicman on epic but I know what the answer will be wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks spyderjon it looks like they are available flat in Europe too

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_48_296&products_id=3593
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy