Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with built in ear fones.

Poster: A snowHead
As my teenagers are becoming more adventurous skiers, (not to mention faster!) I think they really should wear helmets, I'm sure I have read on here somewhere? about built in head fones, can anyone enlighten me please Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helmets, good idea
Headphones on helmets, bad idea
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds very dangerous to me too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are a few on the market with earphones, but the guy in the shop I bought my helmet (sans headphones) refuses to sell them! To be honest I can see why- I can hardly hear a damn thing with the helmet on anyway! HOWEVER a compromise might be a Burton I-pod beanie, which I have (and love) I dont have it on full blast or anything but its saves having wires everywhere and you can hear a bit more than with a helmet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, Thanks, I'm sure they've been discussed on here before, just thought it may encourage him to wear one? they both use mp3 players, (and so do lots of people!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldnt bother to be honest- you'll probably get a better helmet for less money without them. No Helmet- no skiing!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got one which was "ipod compatible" yada yada yada.... binned the headphones - can't think of a more stupid "feature" except perhaps an ashtray! rolling eyes Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
burton/red do good helmets with good quality headphones. giro have tune up kits for most of there lids. dont listen to the doom mongers on here. if you want music on the slopes, then have music on the slopes. burton/red also have a headphone beanie with foam padding, not as much protection as a lid, but certainly more than a normal hat.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme, Thank you wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There ought to be a law
Against you comin' around
You should be made
To wear earphones
Because something is happening here
But you don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones

'Ballad of a Lardy Skier' Robert Zimmerman
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graeme,
Not so much doom monger, and yes you are free to do what you like but in my opinion:
-They are a bit antisocial in that everyone else on the lift or gondola gets to hear your music - I would take my own if I really wanted it - if this is your reasoning just use your IPod with proper earphones.
-Hearing is quite an important sense when you are doing something where you are moving fast but don't have good all round vision.

Tree skiing is usually a good way to persuade people to wear a helmet - just hope that the lesson that convinces them isn't too painful! Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feefee, and dont forget to insist that they turn the volume up, while on lifts etc. that really sends the safety brigade mental. i find the safety brigade funny though, they harp on about being safe, yet still talk about what drink to take onto the slopes in hip flasks rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
graeme wrote:
feefee, and dont forget to insist that they turn the volume up, while on lifts etc. that really sends the safety brigade mental. i find the safety brigade funny though, they harp on about being safe, yet still talk about what drink to take onto the slopes in hip flasks rolling eyes

Err no!!
Doesn't drive me mental because of safety (on the lift at least), drives me mental because it's bloody annoying - like having to listen to fiddy cents through someones tinny mobile phone speaker on the bus.

...and besides it makes you look like a lady's front bottom
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee, if you want to read a zillion threads on this topic, search 'headphones.' rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth, I agree that its annoying, but then a lot of what other people do I find annoying! I certainly would not encourage them to have music blaring but they listen to ipods anyway. I no nothing about helmets with or without built in earfones or ipod compatible etc etc, hence the question in the first place Puzzled
It wasn't my intention to open a can of worms....
snow report
yeah i know it annoys folk, hence turning up the volume.
snow conditions
feefee,
OK back to the original question. I wouldn't bother getting a helmet with specific ear pieces (ie Giro Tune-ups), ignoring the annoying factor, as they add a lot to the cost of the helmet and you may as well just use in ear headphones (like the Ipod ones, except they aren't great so maybe sony ones...).
There are loads of good helmets out there - best thing is to try them in a shop as they need to fit right, and vary a lot from make to make (and including within makes). I have a Giro G10 which is pretty good, light, and has vents you can open and close depending on the weather, how hard I'm working, etc... Can then also decide how they look. I'm working on getting an extreme skier red-bull giro one at the moment!! Cool
Initially they look and feel a bit weird but you get used to it. Go to the park, racecourse, trees or backcountry and look how many are wearing helmets so no real problem with looking out of place - though having said that I mostly ski in N. America so that may be different.
You may also need goggles that work specifically with a helmet - though my normal A-frames work fine, mrs H's Scotts do not.
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
yeah i know it annoys folk, hence turning up the volume.

Well I guess you'll be on your ski-boards, so what with them and your tune-ups.... rolling eyes Razz
snow conditions
feefee, to add to what stuarth has said about goggles, not sure what your teenagers are using, but if its oakleys, you can get replacement helmet specific straps for them. below is a link to show you the burton padded audio hats
http://cgi.ebay.com/Burton-RED-Ordinance-Audio-Padded-Hat-NEW-Black-L-XL_W0QQitemZ270164729195QQihZ017QQcategoryZ36260QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
snow report
stuarth, but still more skills than you on snow.........lol
snow report
stuarth, Thanks I am going to insist they wear them anyway, being dare devils with no fear, I think they should, I just thought I'd check out the options. teenagers have to be cool you know! rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
stuarth, but still more skills than you on snow.........lol

really? - perhaps you should come on one of my 'warm up' runs someday wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 24-09-07 16:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
yeah really
snow conditions
graeme, Can't remember which goggles, we bought them in Austria on a a blizzardy day! But will have to dig all our stuff out in preparation!! snowHead
ski holidays
I'm confident that I'm in the minority here but here it goes..........
I have a Giro Fuse helmet with tune ups. The helmet is warm, but has vents so you can get the relief needed on warm spring days.
I LOVE the tune ups. Most days I don't listen to music, but on those rare occasions that I'm skiing alone, I plug my ipod in, with some smooth jazz or maybe some Sinatra.
It can be an awesome experience.

*I never use the volume level that would deter me from being aware of other skiers or hazards.
snow conditions
i have a g9 with the tune ups, think it cost £20 more, a small price to pay to never have earphones surgically removed from my ears.
Only problem is they are not loud enough for me, dont believe all the more dangerous hype, that's created by folks who have 2/3/4 lunch drinks then dont look as they join a slope or try to overtake badly, never skiied into anyone because i couldn't hear.
snow report
geeo, i found a small amplifier for my set up, about the size of a chocolate bar, really works. will send a link if can find one
ski holidays
geeo, something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RadioShack-3-Channel-Headphone-Booster-MP3-Player_W0QQitemZ140159256165QQihZ004QQcategoryZ48680QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My 2 cents...

Don't get them a helmet with built in earphones. I tried doing a run with my iPod two seasons ago as my friends did it so I wanted to see how it was, and it felt really awkward. And I didn't enjoy it so haven't since.. I don't know about the other people here but I absolutely love the noise of wind rushing past and the noise of you carving in the snow.. I know when I used to do competitions when I was at boarding school I loved doing them. I finished poorly but just the fact that you zone everything out.

I want to go skiing Sad
snow conditions
Thx graeme looks just what i need.

Feefee just ask your kids what they would like.
snow report
I am with SnowHot, and have the giro 9 and tune ups. I listen to my zen when on lifts and when boarding on my own. Having to share the baby sitting last season this was the first time I had spent any significant time on the piste "toute seule" so the music was fun. I would recommend them.
latest report
geeo, Thanks, My son said he only puts 1 earfone in when skiing so that he can listen to music and still be aware of whats going on around him, fair comment I say! Very Happy So perhaps he would be better without built in Puzzled
Think we will check out the helmets and see which they prefer.
snow report
feefee, Fit is most important. Then features.
One of the super nice things about the tune ups with helmets, is the easy control feature that allows the user to alter volume levels.
Makes it nice to be able to chat while on the lift.
latest report
We're planning on getting tune-ups for our Giro helmets this year but not for music - evidently there is now a set that has dual connectors for mobile phone and walkie-talkie. I always miss calls on my mobile when it's in my ski jacket (even at lunch or whatever) because I can never get it out of my pocket quickly enough, and we use radios most of the time on the slopes. I find having an earphone in all the time v uncomfortable (and ditto re the surgical removal) so the tune-ups seem to be th way to go to make the tools more usable. If I were to be overcome with a desire for music on the slopes (I like the music of the mountain myself), then I would prefer to have the 'phones in the helmet ear pieces than directly in my ear as it seems to me that you have more chance of hearing what's going on around you if the music isn't delivered directly into your ear drum
latest report
eng_ch, That phone feature is nice. I know that some people are against phones on the slopes, but I find it awesome to hook up with friends who are on a different schedule than I am.
"Hi, just got here" "Great, I'll ski down and meet you at the base of Buck!" "Awesome"

Make sure that your cell phone will be compatible with the tune ups. My current cell phone is Blue tooth compatible and can't hook to the wire.
Some of the new tune ups are also blue tooth compatible.
ski holidays
SnowHot, how's tricks? Long time no speak Wink

Yup, the moby is a good backup for the occasions where the radios are out of range. And running my own business, like you, I need to be (or at least like to be) available to take on work for the week I'm back Wink Good tip re the Bluetooth, thanks - will make sure it all works
ski holidays
There is a now a device called a blue eye which plugs into your Ipod and enables you to take calls hands free (if your phone has blue tooth) through the Ipod. I have used this while out on my bike in the summer. It should also connect to the Helmet earphones so you can have your music and take calls.
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-2931.aspx
snow report
eng_ch, I have had a great summer in our business so I've been a bit out of touch here, but it took no time at all to get back into the groove.
And yes, like you, my cell phone frees me up to get out of the office and enjoy the slopes.
I wouldn't want to go back to the days of sitting in the office with marginal business calls in the winter, looking out the window, wishing I were skiing.
Now I transfer the calls to the cell phone, lock the door and my customers are none the wiser that I'm answering from a chair lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy