Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Post-exercise rehydration: Milk better than water or isotonic drinks

Poster: A snowHead
Milk may promote better recovery after exercise than either water or even isotonic sports drinks, according to research published recently in the British Journal of Nutrition. So, should you be drinking a pint of milk après-ski, rather than that beer?…Researchers at Loughborough University compared the effectiveness of low-fat milk (with or without salt added) to rehydrate the body after exercise with that of water or an isotonic sports drink. ...After losing 1.8% of their body mass during intermittent exercise in a warm environment, eleven people drank a volume equivalent to 150% of their sweat loss. Urine samples were collected before and for 5 hours after the exercise to assess fluid balance. When the participants drank milk, they had a net positive fluid balance throughout the recovery period but, after water or the sports drink, they returned to net negative fluid balance after 1 hour. The researchers concluded that their results suggest milk can be an effective post-exercise rehydration drink for everyone except people who have lactose intolerance.
Abstract: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1057236

Reference: Shirreffs SM et al. Milk as an effective post-exercise rehydration drink. Br J Nutr 2007; 98: 173–80.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Udder rubbish.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bh1, ... No its not ....
Quote:

Udder rubbish.

..... but you should never drink very cold or freisan milk .... Toofy Grin

It's good to see some research interest, however limited in scope to the recovery benefits of milk. It's been around a good bit longer than even Lucozade and in my view a lot better and cheaper than 'Sports Drinks'

Guiness is another drink which recent research suggests multible benefits. Support for the old Guiness slogan "Guiness is good for you..."

Perhaps snowHeads could make themselves available to the Researchers at Loughborough University, and to Guiness, to aid more comprehensive studies? I imagine names would have to be drawn for a hat though, to ensure an equal balance of volunteers for each study .... Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good piece of research.

A big glass of cold milk definitely feels as refreshing as water or any sportdrink. Add in the calcium and vit D, and it scores highly.

The main downside is that milk is relatively high in sodium. A pint will give 15 - 20% of your RDA in one go. Not to mention the 200 - 300 calories, too. Water scores roughly zero on both counts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most men meet their needs for vitamin D through exposure to sunlight because they do not get enough from their diet. Men who live in colder climates have a higher incidence of prostate cancer because they get less sunlight. Studies from Harvard School of public Health show that men who drink more than four glasses of milk a day have low blood levels of vitamin D and are at increased risk for prostate cancer. Calcium uses up vitamin D and not enough vitamin D is added to milk to cover the extra calcium used.

This study shows that prostate cancer is associated with not exposing skin to sunlight and not going on holidays to beach resorts. Susceptibility to prostate cancer was not found to be associated with vasectomy, benign prostatic enlargement or eating any particular food.

Lancet August 25, 2001
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beer Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Milk also provides protein for muscle build up - obviously how important this is depends on the type and intensity of the exercise routine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Milk is not good for asthmatic types.

Maggie Thatcher also decided, as kid's no longer got rickets in the UK, free milk was unnecessary.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
...Men who live in colder climates have a higher incidence of prostate cancer because they get less sunlight....

Lancet August 25, 2001

Risk of prostate cancer can be reduced by regular ejaculation. Do you think there might be a link between cold weather and lack of "enjoyment", personal or otherwise? Just a thought Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It just sounds so revolting. A pint of milk when thirsty Puzzled Water please or beer Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, I seem to remember a similar opinion in Slaughterhouse Five.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gwaelod, ever been thirsty, cold, shaky and crampy? Nothing, nothing so good as hot chicken bouillon.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex wrote:
gwaelod, ever been thirsty, cold, shaky and crampy?

Last Saturday morning. Result of watching Ireland play rugby whilst drinking lager, Guiness and gin (at different times, I think?).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC wrote:
Guiness is another drink which recent research suggests multible benefits. Support for the old Guiness slogan "Guiness is good for you..."
And do you have a reference for this? snowHead

The research mentioned by el Hen is of course competely useless to most sportspeople. We go to the bar after exercise (or skiing), and we want to know which of the many tipples available is the one to go for. Milk is not an option.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor wrote:
comprex wrote:
...Men who live in colder climates have a higher incidence of prostate cancer because they get less sunlight....

Lancet August 25, 2001

Risk of prostate cancer can be reduced by regular ejaculation. Do you think there might be a link between cold weather and lack of "enjoyment", personal or otherwise? Just a thought Wink

Should have thought the other way round... what else to do when laying tucked up in bed in winter. Speaking of which... must get down to the gym and even my left triceps out... rolling eyes
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
gwaelod, ever been thirsty, cold, shaky and crampy? Nothing, nothing so good as hot chicken bouillon.
Good if you have a fever (Jewish penicillin, anyone?) but at the end of a ski day in Austria, these symptoms were cured for me by alternating glasses of water with Vodka-Pfeige. Yummy, yum. One of the few vodka variants I like (but have never tried toffee vodka as extolled elsewhere on this forum.)

parlor,
Quote:

Risk of prostate cancer can be reduced by regular ejaculation

Oh come on, that must be b*llocks! [This is not a serious post - that Egg thread has got under my skin!]
ski holidays
Scarpa, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
So plenty of sun and regular ejaculation is good for a healthy prostate.... could be Club 18-30's next advertising slogan......

or for those on a budget, a sunlamp and a box of kleenex Confused
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:

The research mentioned by el Hen is of course competely useless to most sportspeople. We go to the bar after exercise (or skiing), and we want to know which of the many tipples available is the one to go for. Milk is not an option.

It seems only mildly inappropriate to point out the Coquito recipe from, errm, LoveCocktails.com

Quote:

1/2 liter water
15 oz cream of coconut
12 oz evaporated milk
14 oz condensed milk
4 egg yolks
2 - 3 cinnamon sticks
1 liter white rum

Boil the cinnamon sticks in the water. Take the sticks out when the water is yellow and has the smell and taste of cinnamon. Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk and egg yolks and cook at low temperature. While it's cooking stir to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pot. When it is boiling for a few minutes, add the cream of coconut and rum. Stir well and take off the burner. Let it cool and it will be ready. Keep it in the refrigerator and it will last for a very long time.
latest report
Hywel wrote:

ROTFL Laughing
snow report
comprex,
Hywel, Laughing
snow conditions
Hywel wrote:
So plenty of sun and regular ejaculation is good for a healthy prostate.... could be Club 18-30's next advertising slogan......

"His death came as a shock to most who knew him, they said he was as fit as a butcher's dog except for the arthritis in his wrist."
ski holidays
1/2 ltr of half fat milk everyday. Its normal here Very Happy
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Its normal here :D

latest report
http://www.melk.nl/
ski holidays
Jonpim,

..... I feel aggrieved .... you appear to cast aspersions on my journalistic integrity ... I detect a note or two of disbelief ...

You heathen...

Oh ye of little faith ...

Toofy Grin
snow report
Thank you Bernard. And as I suspected: your statement is misleading and exaggerated (and misspelt).
1. This is not a new study - or even a recent study - it dated from at least 1996. See here
2. It was an experiment on a small number of dogs who had an artificial narrowing of their coronary arteries inflicted on them.
3. The guiness was instilled into the unfortunate dogs' stomachs by a tube.
So a number of questions:
1. Why has this ancient piece of research been revived now? See Daily Telegraph.
2. If it was so effective, where are the repeat studies in man?
Clearly a load of cobblers.
ski holidays
Head to the hills.
I suspect some of this is very valid as my last ski trip proved...drinking a decent milk drink either on your way up or during the mid morning stop will definitely prevent (not entirely remove) muscle soreness and tiredness, especially the following morning. If you're doing back to back days of skiing (as most of us do) it makes complete sense to feed your limbs with something a bit better vin-chaud (although that feeds other parts).
Rather than a typical hot choc, I suggest cans of Nrichment (www.nrichment.com) which i found in the US.
Not too fatty, strong enough to last in the backpack (and a few falls in between) if you want to take it up with you, alternatively it's great to have hot when you get back down.

Guinness is a definite no no if you're doing active sports - don't want to mistime the jump or distance of that tree! I find regular fizzy drinks just not satisfying when your on the slopes, somehow they seem to watery (maybe it's the altitude!). Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jaegermeister. end of. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy