Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the snow train like?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of getting the Snow train in March 08 to Bourg with 4 year old and another family with 18 month old. Any experiences (good or bad) welcome. Can you get to sleep?!! Is it worth it!
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Long thing, lots of carriages, big engine at either end. Noisy for little ones though, unless you use the Paris sleeper. There's a disco carriage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extra couple of days skiing, so that's a good thing. I've been able to get a bit of sleep, but not the same as a night in your own bed. Never been too bothered by the noise of people enjoying themselves, even when our cabin was close to the bar/disco carriage.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, nor me, but her kids might be.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
personally I'd rather drive than go on the eurostar 'overnight service' to bourg. Expensive, noisy, uncomfortable seats and the lighting not being dimmed are amongst some of my pet peeves with it. whilst the extra 2 days are handy you are so knackered on the first day that you can't ejnoy it and you have no where safe to leave your kit - other than leaving in the big communcal storage roon in the basement of your apartments.s
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you don't fill a couchette, don't take your kids. Last thing you want is some drunk lad or lass rolling into your couchette and waking up the kids when the disco coach finally closes.

I did it 5 years ago with a load of friends. It was good then and the extra 2 days skiing was great. But i wouldn't do it now and i'm only 32. With kids, not a chance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clareholyoak, there are three ways of going by train to the alps.
They are each very different.
1. The RailEurope Snowtrain. Essentially a charter train. Most of the places are booked up by travel companies. it is fine if you go with some mates and take over a whole compartment. Do not try this with young children.
2. The Eurostar Ski Train. Two versions: overnight on Fridays and a day service on Saturdays. The Saturday service is OK but you don't get that extra day. Avoid the overnight service like the plague. You don't get a bed, but have to suffer trying to sleep in an ordinary carriage sittiing up all night. Ghastly.
3. The right way: take the Eurostar to Paris (Gare du Nord), and then overnight sleeper train from Gare Austerlitz. Make sure you book 1st class sleeper: only 4 per compartment and not much more expensive than 2nd class. Book these separately (and early) to get the cheapest fares. The jouney across Paris is a short taxi ride and full of interesting sites. Go by metro if feeling very adventurous.

The first two services only run at weekends (Friday night or Saturday) - the third way can be booked for any day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I totally agree with that. 3 is the best value too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What are the costs for option 3.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[clareholyoak], Do not (I repeat) do not, do the option 2 ski train with young children. Did it with my son when he was 8 months old. The extra 2 days skiing were no compensation for the stress of doing it with a small child. Very little sleep, had to wake him at about 11pm to transfer from Eurostar to sleeper train (including an hour or so's wait, in which we had dinner), p1ssed idiots banging on the door of our couchette at 3 in the morning, having lost their friends. Went to the bar with one of mates to get some takeaway beers, and it was like peering into the depths of Hades itself. Apart from that, it was a breeze...

And this from a man who REALLY likes drinking. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Eurostar Ski Train during the day is fine according to my parents - both in their 70s. They reported that there were many kids on board who understandably got a bit bored - believe the train leaves around 10am and gets into Bourg at 6pm

Best option IMHO DRIVE - we have driven for last 5 years with kids as young as 3 months. Set your own pace and easy to walk about, feed them, change them etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All their earthly principles they're gonna have to abandon
There's a slow, snow train comin' up around the bend.

'Snow train coming' Robert Zimmerman
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't see the point of the day train - you lose two days of skiing and have to sit around for hours instead of sleeping.
Option 3 costs: Eurostar £59, train from and to Paris with Couchette £67 if you book when first available (90 days before for French railways, 120 days before for Eurostar). More if you book later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, the day train is an option instead of flying for folks who aren't fussed by a potential extra couple of days skiing and want to get a good sleep in a proper bed. Similar amount of time and shorter transfer at the end.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rainman, I think you are referring to Option 1.
Option 2 is direct: there is no changing onto a sleeper train.
And not Option 3 as I don't think there is a bar on any of the sleepers out of Gare d'Auserlitz or Gare de Lyon

All the same, the late departure of the sleeper trains (they leave about 10.30pm) could cause problems with youhg chidren. They will want to be asleep by then rather than boozing in some station bar. There is a cozy restaurant attached to Gare Austerlitz with large bench seats that would make a good bed for young kids. The food is quite good as well. I posted a pic of it on the EOSB 2007 thread here.
snow report
Jonpim, sorry, my mistake. We boarded the Eurostar at Waterloo at 6ish on Friday evening, travelled through to Paris (Gare du Nord, possibly?), disembarked with our luggage, spent an hour having dinner locally, recovered our luggage and boarded the sleeper at about 11pm, which was when the fun started. Rubbish with kids, anyway.
snow report
http://sepwww.stanford.edu/~morgan/images/kim_morgan/html/kim-morgan-snowtrain.html
snow conditions
DB, now THAT'S a Snowtrain...
ski holidays
Daytime train with Kids is EXACTLY what you want to do!

Went with 2x 5 yr olds, 1x 7, 1x 12 last year ( and the year before with... oh... you do the maths) plus 3 set of parents

This year, slightly less: we will be doing 2x 6year olds and an 8.

Far less likely to get bored than the car > airport > plane > coach nightmare, with transfers, delays and opportunities for lost teddies abounding. Kids can play with each other, ignore each other, sit with prefered parent or friend's parent during the journey - you can take it in turns for child care duties for 1 parent pair, other can read. DVD players / MPS players can be run of the mains in the trains if ness. Add in colouring books and "what I did / am going to do on my holiday" diaries. Trips to the buffet car have always seemed a popular distraction, and the proximity of toilets enables timing of visits to be a non-issue.

Obviously it takes preparation and planning, but is not a bad way to spend the day.

Unlike say the Lyons airport pleasure-dome...

The swap-over in Paris (during the day it too is possible ) isn't bad, but the direct is easier. Just more expensive. But does save herding cats, sorry children whilst manouvering bags for 11 on and off the Metro...

Last year IIRC we paid £180 return for the adults and £140 for the children, 1st class on the way out, 2nd class back, with a change over in Paris. TGV trains are only bookable 3 months ahead, so also needs some planning to make sure your Eurostar (6 months ahead) does meet up with the right train...
snow report
Assuming I'm counting correctly (and making family unit assumptions) if there's two families with a kid each then that's six of you. So you get a second class couchette compartment to yourself.

We've often used the sleeper for both winter and summer holidays. The kids think it's fantastic and a great adventure. Being kids, they sleep really well on it normally being gone within about 15mins of departure.

It's been a long time since I used the snowtrain, but I would imagine that the 'normal' sleepers from the various Paris terminii to the alps would be less likely to have anitsocial behaviour.

fwiw, I use tend to use the daytime option on my occasional 'me only' ski trips. Once you've got kids the pleasure of a day on the train reading a good book, drinking from the bar and watching France unwind through the window without having anyone else to worry about is almost as much fun as skiing !

d
snow report
The snowtrain sounds like a crazy idea to me NehNeh Even if you dont take kids NehNeh

Its got to be a couple of hours in a plane or ages on a train dragging ur stuff around NehNeh lol

Its not even like its that much cheaper.

Or am I missing something here Smile ?? Also if you live anywhere but London its even worse.
snow conditions
Well it's the 2 days extra skiing isn't it. And missing all the hassle of air travel now.

For option 3 the metro is quite simple but I can't be bothered to carry the bags and skis. I take the taxi and its still cheaper.

(By the way Eurostar is 4 months in advance, not 6.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy