Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xscape Mogul Coaching at Castleford

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been to one of these sessions on a Sunday evening? If so what were your thoughts? Worth doing?

Thanks

Kerry
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
errr? they have moguls in a fridge?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and why do you say coaching rather than instruction or teaching.... Is this for competitions only? Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, well apparently so, want to be decent ones for £45 Shocked

little tiger, it's what's advertised, but if you want to turn up for a race my technique's s**t but having plenty of bottle I'll give anyone a race down wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger, No, it's not for racing. Best to go along, take a look and make your own mind up.

They shouldn't just throw you straight into the bumps. Some drills out of the bumps first - especially for first timers.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowshark, have you been or know anyone who has?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grimsby Ranger, sorry for sounding evasive but I think it's important you make up your own mind.

I ski there quite a lot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grimsby Ranger, I havn't been to the Xscape Castleford organised evenings but I have had Warren Smith 'Coaching'on said Moguls and found it hugely helpful.
As the moguls are man made and consequently fairly consistent in size,shape etc they are good for doing drills and practicing technique Etc
I am hoping they are going to have some to play on next Monday when the autumn WSA coaching sessions are being held again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks hedley, some dedicated bumps coaching, teaching, instruction.... wink would probably be a good idea for me to get some, Castleford may be ideal.

Snowshark, I was just after someone to actually give me some information on how they found it before forking out £45 + travel. Amount of instruction, group sizes, general level of groups etc. A bit hard to make up your own mind otherwise, not much of a choice, go and gamble or not rolling eyes . I suppose you saying you ski there quite a lot is a recommendation? snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, the slope is tiny and the price is high.

When someone says 'make up your own mind', that is usually coded talk for 'it sucks'.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grimsby Ranger, I ski there a lot but never at the weekend. The placing of the bumps gives you a unique chance to see if the coaching session would be for you.

I wouldn't travel all that way for a single coaching lesson myself - but would incorporate it into my stay at Snozone. It's always worth warming up o0n the main slope before mogul training - which in itself can mean drills outside of the the bumps.

I'll let you know group sizes and more on how it's run tomorrow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowshark, thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hedley wrote:
Grimsby Ranger,As the moguls are man made and consequently fairly consistent in size,shape etc

As opposed to ones in the mountains that are made by snow pixies....and look like a VW demolition derby

....don't worry know what you mean wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimsby Ranger, No info on group sizes but from speaking to one of the instructors, it appears that the sunday evening session is more advanced. The monday evening session, when run, is more of an introduction to Moguls.

I get the impression, the sessions aren't run all the time.

If I find out anything more I'll let you know.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowshark, thanks.
snow report
I've used them at Cas a few times, including a dabble during a Warren Smith afternoon, although not on one of the Xscape courses. I think they're good for learning on as it's easy to bail out if you get out of synch and the gradient is easy.

I think they have them built every other weekend and they have to demolish them after a couple of days in case they freeze solid.
snow report
Grimsby Ranger, Sunday evening session at Castleford is more advanced moguls coaching. max no's 16. 2 x coach's.

Monday evening session is more for beginners.

I'd recommend going along for some open practice and make your own observations to decide which session is for you.

The bumps were flattened last night, Not sure when they're building them again.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, & Snowshark, thanks for the info. appreciated the tips and feedback.
ski holidays
Went this Monday as I got really unsettled on some steep moguls when in Austria earlier this year, and wanted to improve before Chamonix in a few weeks.

Excuse the phrase but got my ass handed to me by some technically brilliant skiers who when I rolled up I believed would have benifited from plastic hips Toofy Grin I really enjoyed being proved wrong and have been aching for the past 3 days.

Excellent coaching - again you progress at the level you are comfortable with, patient instructor, friendly folk. Intensive ski drills - I do mean intensive, felt like I had skied for a day!

Learnt loads and definately going back - take your own skis as the rentals are awful at castleford, and if you do have to rent go for 10cm shorter then usual. I didn't which was a mistake.
latest report
Bumps in a fridge? How often do they have them out? I'd be much more tempted to go if they did that more often... Are they proper bumps, or just acrap exuse?
snow report
clarky999, the ones at Hemel aren't that great for practice if you've got any bumps-skiing experience. They are great fun for holding parallel slaloms down though Smile
snow report
I'm sure they have the moguls every other week on a monday at Castleford.
snow conditions
clarky999, they've had them at Cas when we've been there a couple of times.
ledge, good post - sounds interesting, and something I wouldn't mind a go at myself!
latest report
Went back for a second lession this Monday, there were two of us booked but only I showed up Very Happy 121 intensive bumps coaching all night and I am now going to be actively looking for some bumps on my hols.

I was a bit surprised that they still run these sessions if only 1 or 2 folk attend as it can't be making money. I thought the additional instructor time made the £15 per hour charge seem very reasonable. especially as it has given me a big confidence boost.

Definately worth a couple of lessions pre hols and i think i'll be going back for a few more after.

Recommended
ski holidays
Thanks for this ledge, Go get those moguls. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy