Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Merino wool base layers. Any good?

Poster: A snowHead
I need to buy a couple of bits of base layer for this season. I've only used manmade fibres before, but I've seen lots of references to merino wool recently. What are the differences? Is the merino stuff worth paying a bit extra for compared to the items I've bought in Decathlon in the last couple of seasons?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, some people swear by them some swear at them . . . buy, try and give us some feedback. Are you looking at the silver/bio-control type?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, some people swear by them some swear at them . . . buy, try and give us some feedback. Are you looking at the silver/bio-control type?

Bio-control? Does this give me magical powers over other people?

I'm just looking for something that will be moderately warm, good wicking properties, easy to launder (especially drying quickly when it comes out of the washing machine) and fairly hard-wearing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, i bought one just to try it out and am a total convert now and now have 4. very warm but best bit is that you can come home all sweaty and they dry out very quickly and dont smell. quick rinse out and they are ready to go for another day.

I tend to wear either a real thin one plus a micro fleece for spring and a thin plus thick for winter under my goretex shell..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with skimottaret on this. My merino wool stuff (not cheap!) is the best skiing buy I ever made.
I bought two each of a base layer and a mid layer (Icebreaker) - you only need one.
I didn't believe their stuff about being able to wear for a week without getting smelly - I'm a smelly sort of guy
But they are right!
The manmade stuff gets unpleasantly smelly on me after just one day - the Icebreaker stuff is fine for a week
If you do need to wash it, it dries real fast - overnight no problem
Brilliant stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar,

It depends what you normally wear...... but they are very warm..
Some people don't like them as they don't like that wool so close to the skin.

I normally wear a micofleece from polartec, a midlayer of around fleece 200 and a shell and that is fine to around -20..... I would add the Icebreaker to this set-up for below 20.

Anyway, they are very warm and it would be like adding another micro fleece to your layers, IMV

the Bio aspect is supposed to mean that it deals with body odours very well...but I just think you'd wash the thing daily....so I don't need the bio extra cost, personally.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm expecting DaveC to pop up in this thread soon
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Awesome mate, but they tend to be prone to moths.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, moths??? Oh crap, I'd better put mine somewhere safe and mothless
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tequilaslammer, I haven't be able to avoid it, i can't be sure it is moths but i can't think of any other reason why just my Merino stuff has little holes everywhere and nothing else does. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, sounds about right mate. If moths get in they'll always go for wool first.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kiwi1, Should i buy a sheep and put it in the draw with my base layers, would this help?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hmm, do moths prefer merino or cashmere though...I have an old cashmere jumper that doesn't fit that I don't mind if they eat. Maybe that could distract them from my merino
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tequilaslammer, Isn't cashmere rabbit or goat or something?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No. They're hairy/furry not woolly.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
kiwi1, Should i buy a sheep and put it in the draw with my base layers, would this help?

I do Very Happy

I'm from a sheep farming family from NZ. (I'm the black sheep, all my brothers are sheep farmers) I rember growing up and having the smell of moth balls that mum would only keep in the draws containing our woolen long johns. What a stink.
snow report
Quote:

I'm from a sheep farming family from NZ.

I knew that somehow. Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Quote:

I'm from a sheep farming family from NZ.

I knew that somehow. Laughing

I know squat about ski boots but give me a sheep and I'll................................ Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar, how well the wool works depends on the size of the fibres....

Icebreaker and similar buy a certain "type" of wool....

So the answer is - depends what you buy...

I got some nice stuff just recently for a friend of mine ,(not in my size I'm afraid) at a very good price, over the internet.
snow conditions
A Swiss mountain guide once told me he always wore wool next to his skin, becaue after a week's touring you smell like a sheep, but if you wore man made fibres, in just one day you smelt like a dead sheep Toofy Grin
latest report
Dypcdiver, excellent - couldn't have put it better myself! Smile
ski holidays
tequilaslammer wrote:

i like merino.

http://www.nznature.co.nz/ - same as icebreaker without the icebreaker logo Smile
snow conditions
DaveC wrote:
tequilaslammer wrote:

i like merino.

http://www.nznature.co.nz/ - same as icebreaker without the icebreaker logo Smile

prove it
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, have you ever considered extending your fitting service to these Shocked
latest report
Helly hansen do a decent merino top that I can wear for a week without annoying everyone within a 5m radius. Got some Ortovox 3/4 merino leggings as well from Facewest
snow report
I've got a lovely merino wool cardigan that I bought this week. Very Happy
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:

For skiing?
snow report
I have some merino-wool socks. They are the best skisocks I ever bought. Warm and comfy.

Do it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer: a real groovy guy - as usual right at the front of fashion Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Kramer, do you look like Val Doonican in it? Wink
snow conditions
(One against the pro-merino flow).

I have a Polartec 100 base layer (incorporating anti-bacterial silver thread) and a couple of Icebreakers. The Polartec is lighter, just as warm and breathes better. It is also more comfortable to the touch (although that's going off as it's starting to pill a bit now) It absorbs about half the amount of sweat the Icebreakers do (based on perception of change of weight after a hard day's skiing). It dries way quicker than the Icebreaker. It smells LESS after 5 days use than the Icebreaker does after 2. The only downside is that when I am sweating too much for the shirt/fleece to let it all through it does get clammier. But then it dries quicker so you suffer that for less time.

I'll be very sad when it eventually does die, as Field and Trek (where I got it from) have also jumped on the Icebreaker bandwagon and (last time I looked) no longer sell this stuff.
snow conditions
rob@rar, John and I love the stuff. We both use the Icebreaker skin for skiing and layer it up with a heavier weight. It's good stuff, washes in the machine over and over again and is really comfy. I'm not so sure about what it's like in 4-5 days Shocked , because we both rinse ours out overnight and it's dry for the morning.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Kramer wrote:

For skiing?

Maybe for apres.

Charletanefc I wear it with my floral shirt.
snow conditions
I know merino wool is extra soft, but I find with most wools I itch like crazy if they're directly next to my skin. I've got a fashion top - 50% merino wool and 50% acrylic - I can poke up with it for about 4 hours, but then I've got to change it. I don't even think I could do merino wool socks - what are my options (if I ever decide I can afford some decent base layers)
snow report
Megamum, me too, I get a dry patch of skin on each shin after wearing my merino wool socks on skiing trips. They are the only ones to keep my feet warm though.
latest report
Whats wrong with an old Tee shirt? the older the better. Once it's gaining life of it's own throw it away.
As to the smell anything that keeps snowheads away from me in the bar the better NehNeh
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, Laughing
snow report
Silk vest, thin fleece, goretex shell - sorted. If exceptionally cold, add brushed cotton shirt between vest & fleece. Silk underwear from Patra - cheap, excellent, dries in a trice. And yes, pure silk does wick sweat away.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Silk underwear from Patra - cheap, excellent, dries in a trice. And yes, pure silk does wick sweat away.

I've got a set of silks, but to be honest I've never really noticed much difference when I wear them even in very cold conditions.
ski holidays
Yes rob@rar: I found silk pretty useless too.

And Megamum, I also can't stand wool next to my skin. I was very cagey about this merino stuff. But, as the lady in the store assured me: this stuff is different. I've had no itching ever.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy