Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've spotted a really good deal on 12 Jan 2008, any opinions of this place for the skiing, nightlife etc?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a good time when I went there

Ski ing is not very convienent as you have to get the cable car over the valley but there are lockers to put your stuff there

Nightlife on the quiet side during the week

At that time of year I expect the slopes would be empty
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed right next to the cable-car, but it could be a PITA if you are far away, so check the location of your accom. Nice place, especially the pedestrianised centre. I went post-easter so the nightlife was quiet-ish but I still really enjoyed it. Mid-season it should be a lot busier but don't expect Pas de la Casa-style wall-to-wall drinking & vomitting (thank god).

I wouldn't rate the ski area for beginners or those who want serious mileage. But v good for nice reds and off-piste if the snow is good. Piste signposting not wonderful. Good restaurants both on-mountain and off. Get down to Bar Roma apres for free food and the best bombardinos. Do the Valle Blanche off-piste over to Chamonix if you've never done it, good day out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never stayed in Courmayeur, but skied there a few times. I don't regard the cable car as a major hassle. I loved the skiing, but as the ice perv said, it's not necessarily for beginners. The setting is wonderful - I'm told (and I can believe it) that you can see more glaciers from the slopes than from any other resort.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The scenery is stunning, especially off the top on the right hand side of the resort looking up at Mont Blanc. I've never really enjoyed the skiing there but the Town is lovely and Bar Roma is well worth a visit.

IIRC the lift pass gives you a day or 2 in Pila and/or La Thule and/or Chamonix which makes the job more interesting. The buses in the Valley usually run on time too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The scenery is stunning, especially off the top on the right hand side of the resort looking up at Mont Blanc

That'll be Punta Helbronner. There is a good viewing platform up there. You can look down on the Aosta valley for miles, over into France and on a good day (which we had) you can see the Matterhorn. No way down but off-piste or back in the cable-car.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anybody have recommendations about which airport to use and what transfer options available?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it is quite small, and so is the immediate area. Need the pass which allows trip to La Thuile, for a bit of variety. Great Restaurants. Bar Roma as advised on Via Roma stood out for me. Very Italian apres.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Geneva re airport. Just need to factor in the Mont Blanc tunnel cost. A motorway all the way there. Turin if your local airport goes there, is reasonably close.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stayed there a few years back on a cheap last minute deal. The hotel ran a minibus service to get you to the gondola, but it was a good 15-20 minute walk into the middle of town. Worth checking where the accommodation is for sure.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was there the whole season 17/18. As advised. Check exactly where the accommodation is. There is a cable car from the far side of the valley and a gondola on the same side as the ski area. Plus & minus. Cable car is a good walk from the centre, gondola is further out still. It is possible to ski to the gondola base but not the Cable car base. Make sure you have an Aosta Valley lift pass if you want to try either La Thuile or Pila. Public transport to La Thuile, linked to La Rosiere in France, though a bit of a trek. DON'T get stuck over there! Bar Roma a must if in town. They put out a great spread about 4pm FOC. Mountain restaurants are all good and you will never get better Pizza than in Italy. Night life is restrained but pleasant. The skiing is quite limited but good enough for a week. DO try the Valley Blanche with a guide if conditions allow. Off piste is good again if the snow is good.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went for the second time in January. I've always flown to Geneva and then taken a private transfer with Alps2Alps with I think was about €270 return for 6 people and, given the tunnel cost I think is about €60 return, I did not think was too bad. Usually the traffic out of Geneva is the issue, especially at Friday's rush hour, but once beyond that I've gone through the MB tunnel pretty quickly and then its minutes to town the other side.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@brovert, we use EasyJet to Milan Malpensa MXP, fly in Saturday and out on Sunday morning, we spend the last night at an airport hotel, it gives us 7 days skiing, and hire a car, it's about 2hrs drive to Courmayuer, all easy motorway driving, tolls are about €28 each way. We use the Dolonne gondola, free car parking and little queuing apart from the weekends. If you arrive in time, buy your lift pass the day before, again saves time. This year we bought the Aosta pass which gives unlimited time at any Aosta vallley resort, we had 3 days in Courmayuer, 1 in Pila and 3 in La Thuile, will probably do the same next year. You may need chains if it snows to get up to La Thuile.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichardB wrote:
I've spotted a really good deal on 12 Jan 2008, any opinions of this place for the skiing, nightlife etc?

Courmayeur is ok, good views but not as convenient, or as 'good' as some of the alternatives ...... places around the viaLattea offer more at less cost, f'rinstance ...... and Sestriere town is not unlike Courmayeur town, for feel and lack of nightlife ...... and there's always the Dolomites.

Depending on your party size I'd leave booking anything until the 2nd Jan onwards, if you're flexible on destination, prices will tank then compared to now ...... I'll be looking new year to book a trip leaving the fifth.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy