Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Metro Ski & Snowboard Show - Is it worth going? Never been!

Poster: A snowHead
This thread title really says it all!

I don't live near London - so it'd be a bit of a hike to get there, as well as paying for the privilege of getting in! I've looked at their website, and it doesn't really tell me what I might get out of it.

For those who don't know me, I am 50 & female and have 1 week's experience plus a fair few trips to UK indoor slopes. I am not making rapid progress, but believe I will make the standard of a 'social skier' eventually!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to the Manchester show last year. Won't bother going again
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NewSkier, no, I don't think it is, unless you get a free ticket and the travelling time isn't too long.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Manchester show is not comparable to London. Manchester just seems to be all the retailers trying to flog ancient stock at cheap prices. London, however, is a lot bigger and has a great atmosphere. I wouldn't travel all the way to London just for that though - but maybe if you were to combine it with something else.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSkier, I usually go, but I live in London. I certainly wouldn't travel more than a few miles to attend it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm travelling down from Leeds for the Natives party afterwards Very Happy will be at the show as well though
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NewSkier, I agree with beanie1. Go for the atmosphere. Make an evening of it. Don't expect any bargains
I live in London. I've gone the last couple of years. But I would only go if meeting up with friends.
Don't go the first day: they will still be setting it up.
Go Day 2 early evening.
Head for a bar as soon as you arrive to get yourself mellow. Then amble around at your leisure.
Grab every freebie you can, and haggle outrageously - such fun when you don't intend to buy anyway Toofy Grin
Hopefully this year they will have the pastie stall back.
If you stay to the end many of the food stalls will be giving away any unsold stuff.
Unfortunately none of the the bars had quite the same attitude Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a good place to meet fellow snowHead but if you are like me you miss them and they end up leaving you abusive voicemails instead. Toofy Grin ANyway Foxy I wasn't that fat this time last year!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm going as I won free tickets and I'm also going to see the Terracota Army at the British Museum.

Mr M went once before with the twins and they enjoyed it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NewSkier wrote:
This thread title really says it all!

I don't live near London - so it'd be a bit of a hike to get there, as well as paying for the privilege of getting in! I've looked at their website, and it doesn't really tell me what I might get out of it.

For those who don't know me, I am 50 & female and have 1 week's experience plus a fair few trips to UK indoor slopes. I am not making rapid progress, but believe I will make the standard of a 'social skier' eventually!

In a word no. Even with if you had a free ticket its touch and go if you live anywhere further away than Hammersmith.

Usual format:

Get mildly excited as arriving.

Go in do a quick lap, say "Is that it?"

Go to bar

Do a more considered lap, talk to a few people but largely say "Are you joking?" when they suggest you book in their low altitude Euro resort for the "bargain" week before Xmas

Laugh at people buying ski boots at the show from all the "experienced" temporary bootfitters

Grab free Bushmills lipsalve etc

Buy pasty, Gormet sausage on a bap etc

Fill out a few free kit/holiday raffles

Get spam email for the next year.

Buy a couple of DVDs

Go to Hand & Flower for a proper drink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, that about sums it up but you forgot the hideous journey home from London's worst-served and darkest, mugger-friendly station - especially after 12 pints of the hand & Flower's finest "wife beater". I go every year and every year I say "never again"... but I'll be there on the Wednesday as per usual. The bit I really enjoy is emptying the carrier bag full of leaflets the next morning... straight into the recycling.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier, Alternative is to drive to the B'ham show at the NEC which is on 2nd, 3rd, 4th Nov.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Laugh at people buying ski boots at the show from all the "experienced" temporary bootfitters

I bought some boots at the show about eight years ago, from someone who seemed to be to be a rather good bootfitter,actually. He was an Australian, took a lot of trouble, and my boots were great till I bought new ones last year. . S & R, I think it was, and as I had their "comfort guarantee" (money back minus hire cost if you're not happy) I didn't feel too worried. He was looking after a 20 something girl at the same time, when I was plodging around in my boots, and he told her that if she insisted on wearing such high heels all the time she would have such shortened hamstrings that she would struggle in ski boots! You should have seen her face.

I also did a fantastic bargain holiday booking with Snowcoach for a group of 12, with free insurance for all, free upgrades on the coach, incredible children's discounts etc. That was what I went for (the boots were a bit of a spur of the moment job) so I was happy. But nowadays you could probably get the same discounts on the internet, and I was working in London for the day. I enjoyed watching the guys doing clever things on the snow, and if I had known anyone going, would also have enjoyed a drink. But it's not worth crossing the country for.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pay money to spend money. I don't think so.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I'm sure there are some decent bootfitters there but given the general t/o of punters I'd never feel confident I was getting the right attention.
snow report
fatbob, I agree, and I wouldn't do it nowadays, but I just felt that to completely dismiss a whole lot of people, some of whom were probably doing a good job, was a bit sweeping.
ski holidays
I think it's okay but better on a weekday given the crowds at the weekend, best combined with something else in London though to make the trip worthwhile.
snow report
NewSkier, I went last year cos I got a free ticket and was in London anyway on one of the days. Most useful thing was collecting up maps and info of places I was interested in - quicker and more personal than email to France/Austria etc and helpful. But also collected as Bode Swiller, says leaflets that are handed out with lots of enthusiasm but when you've had a quick look they head to the recycle bin. Unlikely to got this year unless I again get a free ticket! Even then not sure Madeye-Smiley
snow report
roga wrote:
I think it's okay but better on a weekday given the crowds at the weekend, best combined with something else in London though to make the trip worthwhile.

Used to go fairly regularly , well about 4 times , always stayed over and went to a show, shopping, saw friends etc.

Last time we went, we picked up a good bargain holiday by chance. But only stayed about 3 hours and that was a bit too long really. Have to say its not what it was with S & R taking up a good portion of the place. Good chance to see people from the resorts tho and pick up inof on places you intend to visit. you used to get a free mag in the goody bag as you entered - but not any more Sad

Probably worth a visit to 'tick a box' and as others say take in some other form of entertainment -trip justification as well if travelling from afar Confused Doubt whether we will probably go again living 4 hours away, just not justified .
ski holidays
NewSkier, Off-peak train or bus and a (preferably discounted) entry ticket . . . then it's really worth it as it's rare to get so much equipment to compare in one place . . . espesh. if you're after some kit and want to make an informed purchasing choice.
latest report
Bones wrote:
Last time we went, we picked up a good bargain holiday by chance. But only stayed about 3 hours and that was a bit too long really. Have to say its not what it was with S & R taking up a good portion of the place.

Yeah, they were a big part of it last year.
Quote:
Good chance to see people from the resorts tho and pick up inof on places you intend to visit.

That was quite enjoyable, what with freebies from some of the stands, including local food and wine Very Happy
Quote:
you used to get a free mag in the goody bag as you entered - but not any more Sad

Last year they gave you a magazine if you visited the information desk, hopefully it'll be the same again or they'll just include it in a goodie bag.
snow report
Thanks for the advice - perhaps someone ought to pass the contents of this thread to the show organisers, together with some thoughts as to what WOULD make it worth attending!
ski holidays
From Lincoln, you are probably best off going to the Brummy skishow.

It is smaller than London, but bigger than Manchester.

Good for picking up advice on new kit. Occasional bargains can be found, if you play one stall off against another.

Don't expect to be wowed. It's all a bit cheesy and amateurish.

But if you are a skifreak, it still makes a good dayout.

Do it.
snow report
The Metro's usually 'bigger' that the Manchester or Birmingham events. More stands more choice. It depends what you're after. If Olympia isnt good enough then skip the rest. I found them amateurish in comparrison. I went to both Olympia and NEC last year. Although I was a little dissapointed in Olympia, my posting about the NEC summed it up, it was headed 'give it a miss'. I was on my way home to Manchester after less than 45 mins at the NEC. Sad

Some though the NEC it was better, more atmosphere and 'it gave a chance to meet old friends'. For me, London gave more displays and resort information, occassional bargains and link it to a night in London. wink

Snow and Rock are usually the biggest exhibitors at Olympia, but dont expect them at Mcr or BHam. They only had catalogue stands for many years.

If you plan to go to any of the exhibitions, I'd recommend the London event. Smile
latest report
I've not been to the show since they have renamed it. I like the idea of trying the ice rink, just imagine a few snow heads after a few beers. Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
The best day to go is the first as that is when the stands are handing out free drinks, free goodies, the journalists are around and a few VIPs. I was really disappointed the last two years - so much sale type clothing and who in their right mind would buy boots at a ski show? But it does herald the start of the ski season so I'll probably go in the hope that it might have improved.
ski holidays
I have done b'ham about 5 or 6 times, to be honest the daily mail shows there used to be good with genuine bargains plus snow and rock and ellis brigham. I went back in 2005 and it was a bit of a diappointment, nothing was cheap....at least not compared to what I could have got it for in the resort at easter, and lots of the stalls were just local shops selling for their standard shop prices. The kids liked going round the little ski track though. I'm sure s&r were there, but then again they're in town anyway so not really a big plus. I only really go back hoping the dh simulator will be there again but it never is Sad . Natives usually do 2 for 1 tickets and kids go free.
latest report
It;s probably not worth it if you've got any more than an hour to travel-i'm basing it on the b'ham show at the NEC though-i tend to go every year i kind of enjoy it if only for it kind of gets me excited about the forthcoming ski season-i did get a reasonably good deal on a pair of skis last year from the NEC show that i was really made up with once i finally got to try them out(the danger is if your like me you can't resist the impulse purchase!).

If you can link it in with something else then its worth a look(look out for 2 for 1 tickets in the press too) but if you got a long drive then maybe not.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If a few peeps were to meet up for a drink, I'd give it a go and do an advanced recce on some trips/resorts. I like to visit the Tourist offices and talk to locals who might know some interesting stuff.

I am a bit of a picky buyer so I'd rather pay a few pounds over the top to see a lot of things under one roof than deal with it online.
snow conditions
fatbob, normally I'd agree 100%. The exeception is that last year my wife received a parcel in June containing a transceiver, probe and shovel, she'd obviously won an avvy pack from a comp at the show (we had bought her a set only 6 months before, oh well). The odd bit was that we have NO idea who it was from, the box was packed by someone called "kirsty" in Scotland, no more info in the box, odd but nice. The sausage was tasty IIRC and we got lots of stickers for the kids helmets. Very Happy I'll be going this year despite knowing (almost) what to expect
snow report
JT, I was going on the Saturday, wanted to try the ice skating and then maybe the ice wall. Toofy Grin I'm sure I'll draw a crowd Embarassed Any other snowheads want to meet up? Smile We could drink beer instead. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Just to put JONPIM right, we are going a day early to set up, so from day 1 will be fine.
Come and see us on STAND G34, Free Vin Chaud, and Prize Draw. Loads of prizes.
(Holidays, transfers, dinner, see the website for the full list).
Who are we, www.morzineindependentholidays.com. Why are we there? To explain to the public that contrary to the wonderful British Press, we did have snow all last season (agreed we did not have great stuff early, but everyone did get on snow in Avoriaz, while some resorts did not even open). And we skied the last day on 29th of April. I hazily remember through an alcoholic fug.
We have companies offering---accommodation, childcare, transfers, outside catering, instruction, chalet minding/security, ski hire, estate agents, restaurateurs. And we are all nice folk who like a chat about skiing, and know the Portes Du Soleil well, so call by and say hello.
If you have not got a 5 euro voucher for Le Grande Ourse restaurant before you reach the stand, tell us, we will be slipping.
snow report
DallyPaul,
Quote:

STAND G34, Free Vin Chaud

about 4pm on Wedndsday Ok Toofy Grin
latest report
See you there dude. Have asked for more vin chaud for that afternoon.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
DallyPaul,
Quote:

STAND G34, Free Vin Chaud

about 4pm on Wedndsday Ok Toofy Grin

Shame we're all in Tignes then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Shame we're all in Tignes then

Good Planning eh! wink Toofy Grin We are popping up to the smoke for the evening Very Happy
snow report
You really have to treat it as the "kick start" to the season.

If you haven't had the opportunity to see or test the new products that are out there this is really the place to go to just get a little inspired and looking forward to a hopefully snowy winter. If you cannot go on a trip to a glacier prior to the season then this is only the real opportunity to touch and feel all that is new for this winter under 1 roof.

I admit it's not going to blow your mind with excitement...But it's a great starting point to the winter and much better the Birmingham or Manchester which really are not visiting(imo)

If you are looking for a "quirky" family hotel or would just like like to find a small chalet company then it is also well worth a visit.
snow conditions
Headplant,

Not sure sats are good for me.. and I prefer a weekday afternoons/early evening normally. I will see how that week runs for me.
snow report
When I was a student (long time ago) I used to pop along just as it was closing, getting in for nothing, usually through an exit door!
I'd haggle for a bargain, and usually get one, but only if I knew exactly what I wanted.

the real intention was to get a bunch of ski related posters from the stands as they packed away. Obviosly paid nothing for them.
My student digs were heavily decorated in ski posters!
ski holidays
I've planned my first trip to the show for tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what the place is like, and will probably be more interesting than a lecture teaching me GCSE material.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy