Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is anyone a ski retailer or expert in getting people the right skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, what length planks did your ski technician recommend for the goats? (I presume that they are joining you when you go to Resort X?) Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charlatanefc, could she be staying here?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FenlandSkier, nail, hammer, head. I think Resort X's cover has been well and truly blown Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

You are allowed to want to feel in control.... the trick is in learning how to feel in control at a higher speed than the current one...

little tiger, I soooo..... see that as a concept!!

Megamum

it is the concept that formed the basis of all of my lesson time...

I was the world's largest chicken.... My instructors could track my progress down the hill from the various different "squeals"..... they could have almost coached me blind just from the noises I made.... I used to have one poor guy (an examiner and trainer for APSI 3 and a race coach) almost in stitches from the racket I made.. he would deliberately find "terrain features" like groomer mismatches and then ski me over them.... as I would squawk I'd look up to see he had spun around and was making faces at me... then we would both be chuckling until the next "feature"...

The guys at home spent years slowly increasing my skills and comfort with speed... they always knew if I had an "incident" when off with friends or another instructor - because I would ski slower at the start of my next lesson and they would have to get me back to my "current speed"....

Ask Fastman and I think you will find he uses much the same concept....

It is pretty simple - you don't need to grow dangly bits and act all silly.... just need the technical skills to allow you to feel comfortable at higher speeds.... I never fail to understand why guys do not get it... most women simply do not want to be scared - while guys seem to enjoy the "challenge" of confronting fear... Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To get back to the point Neh Neh, I personally don't think it's worth buying beginner or intermediate skis. Rent for another year, get some lessons (yup, i realise you're already planning that), and you'll be good enough to buy a pair of advanced skis that you won't improve out of in 2 weeks.

If you insist on buying some now, i certainly wouldn't get "beginner" ones. Also, don't rule out men's skis, as a men's ski aimed at the same level of skier will give you the extra stiffness you might need due to weight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nzbassist wrote:

Also, don't rule out men's skis, as a men's ski aimed at the same level of skier will give you the extra stiffness you might need due to weight.

I am not a slender lady and I bought men's skis this year and I love them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charlatanefc, FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know we have some fun with this thread title at QueenSheba's expense - and its seen some changes, but I've just dropped in here again and I must have my warped hat on this time as I can't resist the observation that, although I hope she finds someone to find her the right skis, she will undoubtedly get on far better if she has the left hand one from the ski pairs on as well wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen_sheba wrote:
I don't want to post a long, rambling post on here but i have some questions about skis that would be useful to get some advice.

if i were to buy skis to take on hols, i'm assuming if i get a well matched pair it will improve my skiing no end? (more so than a spyder jacket wink

however i don't think i'm the easiest person to select for and getting conflicting advice...so here's the reqs,

*height is 5'6" and weight is over the 83k standard..i'm not telling how much but it's heavy!

*but female so would like to take advantage of skis with a proper female design, larger sweet spot etc as my problem last time was sitting back and tips crossing which i'm told is linked directly to women's centre of gravity.

*however female beginners skis are designed for small petite women and are very soft. i believe i need something stiffer if i'm heavier?

*also length wise will need over 160 i think. which is fine.

so this is what my research has led me to...head's product advidor recommended the cool thang which sits at level 2 on their bar rating, but they are calling advanced. if i get these will i be out of my depth and will it harm my skiing? the ones a level down are the "fine thang" but they perhaps seem too basic and might hold me back! certainly i would have to change them after a year.
http://www.head.com/ski/products.php?region=eu&tag=women&id=925

k2 true luv(intermediate) or sweet luv(novice). (again might be too soft)
http://www.k2skis.com/skis/ski.asp?ProductID=17

i skied for a week last year (not the whole time mind you!) and can do intermediate blues and stop with skis parallel. struggling a bit with my tips crossing, boots kinda hurt and really struggled when it came to a steeper blue.

any advice appreciated! want to get skis of a decent price so would like to get them off the internet. is it also worth telephoning head and k2 and seeking their advice?

might give the expensive jacket a miss for this season and concentrate on improving my form! everyone on here has been really helpful so looking forward to some great advice....

cheers
sarah

Trying to get back on track..........
I think what you really want is solid advice from Gear junkies who have skied on a lot of stuff and can tell you the properties of the skis.
Based on your personal stats, height and weight(though vague), I can tell you that the true luv is likely a ski that will fold under you and not give you the grins you're seeking!

There are some ski manufacturers who are stepping up to the plate with womens gear to give the solid female something to sing about.

If I were you I'd consider the Nordica Olympia Conqueror, or Victory. From Elan, don't be afraid to get an advanced ski with some forgiving properties, like the skis megamum just bought. The Elan Wave Magic, I believe.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29642
If your weight is as you say, something in the upper 160's would be a great
Don't sell yourself short.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowHot wrote:

I think what you really want is solid advice from Gear junkies who have skied on a lot of stuff and can tell you the properties of the skis.

Can someone who has never ever skied arc-2-arc turns describe to a racer how a race ski will ski?

Being a gear junky may be fine when you are describing skis to someone of a similar skier type... but takes no real account for different skiing styles and skier builds... What skis well for one skier may not ski well for another of even a similar level...

You need to demo the skis yourself...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowHot wrote:

Tut tut - you really should know better Wink NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

Can someone who has never ever skied arc-2-arc turns describe to a racer how a race ski will ski?

Being a gear junky may be fine when you are describing skis to someone of a similar skier type... but takes no real account for different skiing styles and skier builds... What skis well for one skier may not ski well for another of even a similar level...

You need to demo the skis yourself...

NO where in her post did she say she was a racer.
Her description is upper beginner/lower intermediate
Quote:
female so would like to take advantage of skis with a proper female design, larger sweet spot etc as my problem last time was sitting back and tips crossing which i'm told is linked directly to women's centre of gravity.

My advice is always, boots first!!
Then Demo Skis!
Some of the people posting don't have the time or availability to demo, and that is where the experience of people like us come in handy

eng_ch
, you got me on that one........ The OP may be Queen Sheba, but I'm the queen of thread hijacking.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowHot wrote:

NO where in her post did she say she was a racer.
Her description is upper beginner/lower intermediate

I was giving an example not discussing the case in point....

I'll write it more simply for you

Being a person who has purchased lots of skis does not make you certain of what skis someone else should ski on... it just makes you a person with a lot of skis

I'd already given my advice to the OP on the first page(along with a bunch of other folks) - boots and lessons... (based on her description of her skiing and problem)

I was simply saying that if she really feels she wants to buy skis she should try them herself...not rely on some person online to tell he what she will like under her feet...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
little tiger wrote:
I was simply saying that if she really feels she wants to buy skis she should try them herself...not rely on some person online to tell he what she will like under her feet...

That's all very well, and I don't suppose anyone would dispute that it's always best to try before you buy, but have you seen the size of the Fall-Line gear supplement? Surely it's no bad thing to help someone compile a shortlist of 4 or 5 to try instead of suggesting they demo everything available?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, yes it would be a great thing for her to get a shortlist from someone qualified to supply her with one.... one might suggest her instructor as a suitable person.... especially as the larger number of folks have already suggested she forget skis for now and go boots and lessons... that will give her time to get professional advice no? Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

I agree, what we need is more pics of snowHead in skirts
latest report
FenlandSkier, DG Orf, and Frosty in skirts Shocked no thanks....
ski holidays
1 down, 2 to go from that list Toofy Grin
latest report
eng_ch wrote:
little tiger wrote:

That's all very well, and I don't suppose anyone would dispute that it's always best to try before you buy, but have you seen the size of the Fall-Line gear supplement? Surely it's no bad thing to help someone compile a shortlist of 4 or 5 to try instead of suggesting they demo everything available?

Gotta love a short list with the help of a few friends.

FenlandSkier wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

I agree, what we need is more pics of snowHead in skirts

And Ski boots!?
latest report
little tiger wrote:
eng_ch, yes it would be a great thing for her to get a shortlist from someone qualified to supply her with one....

Or you could credit her with the intelligence to decide for herself which skis she'd like on her shortlist, having gathered information from as wide a range of sources as possible Wink
latest report
eng_ch, that would be good if you knew the credibility of the sources Smile
ski holidays
little tiger wrote:
eng_ch, that would be good if you knew the credibility of the sources Smile

Why does it matter? The worst that can happen, given that the OP is already hooked on skiing, is that she doesn't like the ski. *Nobody*, Internet geek or instructor, can know what she will like under her foot and not all good skiers are instructors. Me, I'd rather have the info and sift the wheat from the chaff myself than have some anonymous Internet user decide for me what information I need. Wink
snow conditions
eng_ch, Exactly!
Demo time is precious. The ski technology changes quickly, and there are literally thousands of skis to choose from. Some of us have taken the time to demo a lot of skis, and do research, which may help narrow down some choices.

queen_sheba, isn't likely going to leave this thread with a ski purchase in mind, but I'll bet she'll have a short list of skis she'll like to try out. Hopefully when she does, she'll report back and let us know how it worked out.
ski holidays
lol - just checked back on this after a few days! went a bit crazy in 'ere!

what i'm in the process of at the moment is gathering information! i'm assuming all of you have - at one stage - been beginners, so you will know doubt have had experiences with both good and bad skis. Everyone's opinion is welcome and if you don't agree with each other - it doesn't matter!

if you think i shouldn't even be considering buying skis at the moment - then that's fine...i'll take your opinion on board.

If you think i should demo some skis and see how i feel, again - great idea and I will take it under advisement.

personally i feel that hiring a pair over the week i'm away that are fairly close in style and design to the ones i would eventually buy seems to be the most logical choice. rather than just getting a random pair that isn't really tailored to my circumstances.

so i'll go away and deliberate my options and make a choice!

thanks for everyone's help!

xx
latest report
queen_sheba, I've just bought boots at blues in the tiso shop in glasgow. They were ok, the bloke took his time measured my sons feet, took out the inners and the insole and checked them on his feet. Then he put the shells on him without the inners and checked them. He questioned us quite thoroughly about his skiing ability and said that if there were any probs not to hesitate to bring them back. It was all very relaxed, the bloke took his time and I thought it was quite a good service, though I am fairly new to this myself. Very Happy
snow conditions
great - i'm looking forward to getting the boots! i like the look of the divine CF by salomon..
snow conditions
queen_sheba, I hope those fit your foot if that's what you're fancying. It might be useful to note that I was advised on here not to get any preconceived notion of which boots I wanted as that might prejudice a choice between buying boots that fitted properly if they weren't the ones I'd set my heart on.

You know, like it is with shoes or even spectacles (if you wear them), you see a pair and think 'yes, those are the ones', but then you think I'll just try on a few more, and even if you find a pair that are more comfy you often go back to ones you fancied just on the look on them, or even worse buy two pairs!!
snow report
queen_sheba, please please do not by boots by "look"..... buy by fit....

My rollerblade instructor is also a bootfitter who works in a very well regarded retail outfit... the only thing he lets me buy by look are my socks where I get free choice of colour!!

(very long story but my ski instructor's buddy who is also a ski instructor and rollerblade instructor trainer also works there running pre-season ski fitness classes.... so I have a strong tie to the store... they look after me quite well giving me lessons at short notice when i get down to the big smoke for a day or two)
ski holidays
sorry - when i say "look" i' mean "write-up"

i'm not an idiot! i can work out which boots are suitable for my level!!

"Compared to the Divine 10, Salomon have softened the flex and shell on the CF. This makes it more forgiving and much easier to control skis whilst you’re still working on your technique. Comfort is also high on the agenda with a My CF Sport custom fit liner and plenty of Sensifit material".

i looked at every single one on the website and these would seem to be the most suitable. but of course i am going to visit the shop and get fitted properly.

don't worry about me! your concern is appreciated but i'm sure i can make the right decision along with the help of a qualified boot fitter.

thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy