Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Holiday to Arc1950

Poster: A snowHead
David@Traxvax wrote:

but what do I know, you're obviously much more of an expert than I can ever be.

A quite unnecessary tone David, Sproggski didn't appear to claim to be an expert.

But since you asked the question, what do you know?

Well, it isn't "Montvalazen" but Montvalezen

A minor correction in that the liftpass price you state is incorrect http://ski.larosiere.net/articles.php?id=4 not €155, but in fact €161.2

Also it is not "the only French resort that can offer heliskiing" http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Heliskiing as you can see, heliskiing is available in a number of French resorts.

But one that I wouldn't argue with "the first lifts in La Rosiere were installed in 1961". That I can fully believe (and maybe it is time they upgraded them).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, From what I saw the Heliski pad was actually in Italy so technically La Rosiere Does not do heliskiing. Not sure about inferences that the rswsort is no good without la Thuile as 90% of the time it is one ski area. Ah well, ho hum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Vehicles with trailers pay more tolls as they slow other people down

Thinking about this, it can't be right. How could the machines in those places where you put your credit card into a slot possibly know whether you had a trailer in tow, or not? I have a telepeage badge but have been driving around in a vehicle too high for the height barriers, the last few weeks, which usually means going through a space big enough for a truck. No problem with either height or width or length - pay the same price, whatever. Also, to judge by some of the vehicles I have seen, small trailers don't slow people down, there doesn't seem to be a separate speed limit. There are downhill stretches where limits for caravans are lower, but that wouldn't apply to a small luggage trailer. Parking would be the only problem, I guess, as most of the covered car parks are 1.9 or at most 2.1 metres. But with a big gaggle of guys, digging the vehicle out of a snowdrift wouldn't be a big deal, either.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think your right Pam. Parking would be the only problem
and we might have to pay a bit more for the ferry.
thats it.

Dont think we will have to dig it out either. we will be parking in the underground car park providing the Delica will fit. its had a 2" life and has bigger wheels on it + roof rack so in all its a lot taller than the standard delicas.

were looking to book end of the week. hope its still avalible. Ive sent an email to the hotel to get the ball rolling.
Les Arcs does look pretty popular. Wonder how busy 1950 will be. We choose it because we want quieter PMS. and if we decide to go out for a night the other towns are only a small drive away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has anyone stayed in either the HMC Village aRc1950 or the Radisson SAS in Arc1950?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok....... I hate doing this as 99% of the time when my minds made up I dont like changing it and I go ahead and just do it.

Were still def going to les arcs
BUT
the people who are going have changed slightly, couple of people dropped out and a few more took thjere place. so now were not all couples. might not go to Arc1950.
thinking 1800....?

We are still driving there and would like to either be abled to park the van outside or in an underground car park.
We want to do flood light skiing
We very much want a appartment/chalet with a wood cabin feel. Has to have a living room and bedrooms seperate. Comftable sofas would be nice for relaxing on and watching a DVD in some of the evenings (so TV a must we can bring DVD if needs be.)
We want to go self catered

Any suggestions?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Alpage du Chantel in development in 1800 is very convenient for skiing, has nicer styling than much of Arc 1800 (IMHO), has optional underground parking, pool, sauna, located near the nursery slopes (which are floodlit twice a week - although the novelty soon wears off!) and are well equipped including TVs. If you are into late night apres ski they are not so convenient as it's a short but steep walk down to the village centre (or a short ride on the free resort shuttle bus). You can see some photos which are typical of the development if you follow the link in my signature.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Neil, from the sound of your vehicle, it's unlikely to go into an underground car park with the rack on top; our Multipla struggles, and can only get into some.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought that might be the case pam. in that case id like to be baled to park it right next to the appartment.

thanks for the advice rob. I remember talking to you via PM about them.
will take a look, its a dam shame your place doesnt sleep 7!

This is a pic of someone elses Delica. Mine is having the same lift treatment and same sized wheels, spot lights and rack. (getting a pajero front bar though...not that that matters to it getting into a car park or not!)

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That won't get into the underground car park at Alpage du Chantel. There is an outdoor carpark there, although it does get a bit busy at peak periods.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neil, I watched the video. Seemed to show the Delica's getting stuck a lot, let's hope they had a friend with a Landrover along with them to pull them out. wink

Arc 1950 is a bit like Disney does ski resort. If you're going to Les Arcs, I'd say Peisey/Vallandry is the best place to stay, if the weather is bad the tree runs are great. If you go for Arc 1950/2000 and the weather is bad, you're stuffed, it's above the trees and you can't see a thing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neil, better get practising with snow chains and drive gently round any icy bends and make sure those spotlights are not too heavy - COG-wise. And take a shovel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neil,

Expectign Mr T to jump out NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just out of curiosity, what do you do with a van like that which needs 4wd and high ground clearance?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Delica's getting stuck a lot, let's hope they had a friend with a Landrover along with them to pull them

and an X trail to tow the Land Rover out Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you do with a van like that which needs 4wd and high ground clearance?

The delica has loads of jobs
I started up a classic mini owners club for London with my gf. (ELMO - East London Mini Owners www.elmo.freeforums.org) The delica and trailer have been and can be used as a emergency rescue vehicle if im feeling generous for my members. The old space cruiser I used to own occasionally towed my mini to shows if they were a long way away and i didnt want to drive the mini there. It also meant the delica could be used to sleep in at the shows as the back seats fold down to make a double bed. you can also put a colaspseable table in the back making meals that bit more comtable. Being england quiet often it rains. So I have no doubt I will be towing lots of my mates out of muddy fields aswell after mini shows.
I also like taking my mountain bike to wales. Its a lot easier to get some mates together, chuck in some tents and plaster the outside of the delica with mountain bikes and 7 of us go off biking for the weekend.
Im about to get into 4wd and off roading in a big way. I was going to just have the delica as an off road toy aswell. But Im thinking about getting a cheap SJ413 to start with and then later down the line possibly a custom short wheel base pickup landy. The delica would be tasked with towing one of these on a trailer to an off road course somewhere (wales or Kent.)
I am also about to join http://www.4x4response.net/ 7 seater 4wds come in handy once in a while and it would be nice have the chance to do some good.
And of course making my ski experiance that bit more bareable! No more check in at airports. Carring my luggage through an airport is something i always dread. Waiting in cues to check in and then having to wait for hours etc..... SO much nicer to drive with a group of people.
Hope that answered your question Rob!

Spyderman wrote:
Neil, I watched the video. Seemed to show the Delica's getting stuck a lot, let's hope they had a friend with a Landrover along with them to pull them out. wink

Thats funny, I distinctly remember seeing landrovers being rescued by pajeros recently when I went off roading in wales. The Delica uses the same engine and running gear taken out of a pajero / shogun. And you think the delica got stuck a lot? did you see the terrain they were chucking a 7 seater mpv over?! and it didnt break and after a few attempts actually made it..... I think you might have some pretty ludicrous standards if you werent impressed with what the delica was actually capible of doing. I know im certainlly impressed. along with the other members of the delica owners.
this is one of my mates delicas at an off road course (and I put a few others into the mix aswell.)

http://youtube.com/v/6KYwSh1wxL0

http://youtube.com/v/WJiWRslRkmE

http://youtube.com/v/3VpwSlriLa4

http://youtube.com/v/KZ-1phG-0bg

http://youtube.com/v/_NAVwRR3ZEk

http://youtube.com/v/HfftfnsK8pY
if it can do all that I think a drive to france will be the least of its worries.

gwaelod wrote:
Neil, Expectign Mr T to jump out NehNeh Laughing

Funny you should say that, because the Delica replaced this

Toyota spacecruiser. Bought it after a bet with a mate who could drive to africa and make it with £500 and 5 people.
He bought an old Volvo estate and I bought that. He did ghoat busters and I did the A team. Called my team THE race to Africa TEAM
I loved the van and didnt have the heart to sell it afterwards so I kept it. but as a 2.0 petrol auto it wasnt that eco and cost a fortune to tow my mini anywhere. so its not been replaced.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-01-08 21:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Neil wrote:
Hope that answered your question Rob!

Certainly did! Have you made any progress with plans for Les Arcs?
latest report
Neil, I wasn't having a go, hence the wink after my statement, so please don't take offence. If you want to do some Greenlaning or pay a visit to a Off Road course, I'd be more than happy to come along. I normally go to Whaddon near Milton Keynes, which is a good non damaging course. Most of the Greenlanes are now closed until May, to preserve them from damage in the winter.
The Delica is very capable especially for a people carrier. It's main limitations off road are it's lack of axle articulation and front and rear approach angles.
One of my employees has a Delica, he lives in Camden and is also looking to off road with it.
I belong to www.mud-club.com. Your link to 4x4 response looks interesting, I didn't know anything like that existed.
ski holidays
Hey Rob, Not yet because some people have "time off" issues were trying to sort out who exactly is coming. its a pain we have loads of people who want to come its just there waiting on uni timetables and or permission from there boss to book the holiday time

Spyderman, Ok. Sorry for jumping the gun but ive heard so many people slate the Delica 99% of which have never driven it i immediately rush to its defence!
I doubt I will use it a whole lot for off roading though. Thinking about getting an old SJ413 for some learner off road fun then perhaps switch to a swb landy pickup later down the line. The Delica will most likely tow one of these on trailer to the course and perhaps play rescue vehicle if needed.
The 4x4response network is pretty cool. you dont have to give up a whole lot of your time and most of thats just being on standby. its all volunteer work but you do have the added bonus of getting good discounts on equiptment, professional 4x4 training etc. and its nice to feel your doing something of worth. I normally live in east london but the gf lives in paddington so im only a stones through from camden atm! Even thought they were never sold in Canada, The delicas are really popular over there. so many get shipped straight from japan to canada weekly and auctioned off. If it can survive and make a name for its self in canada, the delica most have some good 4x4 qualities!

in a bid to further try and justifie the Delica and defend it even when I know now I dont have to Im posting this link up!
http://www.mdocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17540&start=15
snow report
so can anyone recommend a good place to stay in arc1800
self catered
parking adjacent
appartment / chalet that sleeps 7
at least 3 (preferreably 4) bedrooms
near floodlight skiing
preferred ski in ski out

thanks..
latest report
anyone ever been to arc1800 and stayed in appartments/ chalets for 7 or 8 people?
snow conditions
Just an update, we were now planning on stating in one of the chalets in Plan peisey, and most likely still will. still its a shame we wont be able to go to La plange this season due to the cable car being out of operation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy